PDA

View Full Version : Trans oil check

Larry Looney
12-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Where and how do you check the trans oil on a 525i? I have no idea? Ive read about how to change (oil/filter) and what type to use but not how to check it. Oh yea our BMW dealer wanted $280 to do it, he's nuts. Thanks

bfd
12-12-2005, 03:36 PM
If its a manual, I would go by the mileage as specified by BMW. Change transmission and differential oil every 30,000 miles. If you don't know, change it NOW! Then do so again in 30,000.

Its a pretty easy change. You may want to use a Synthetic like Redline or Purple Royal. I've used both, currently using Purple Royal on my 90 535i, 5spd, 103K, and both work fine.

Larry Looney
12-12-2005, 06:07 PM
My bad, it's a auto. Most cars has a dip sticks to check the Trans oil with. My cars owners manuel, that came with the car just says to check it and use Dexron II. But guess what they don't make D II any more. So I guess it's Dexron III. Now will that make a differance? But where do you check the stuff?

laguner
12-12-2005, 06:12 PM
The dipstick should be on the drivers side near the rearof the engine. Some don't have dipsticks though. The dipstick has an arrow on the large plastic cover. You must push the dipstick in the direction of the arrow while depressing slightly. Use Dextron III.

Kalevera
12-12-2005, 08:39 PM
There's no dipstick on most of the GM Hydramatics, the fluid level is checked by getting the car up to temperature, then leaving it running, in park, while getting under it (presumably on a lift). The fill plug is pulled and the fluid level is correct if some dribbles out, much like a full differential or manual trans would do.

$280 is reasonable if it doesn't use Dexron III. The so-called lifetime fluids are prohibitively expensive...something around $100/liter, dealer cost.

We talk about this stuff all the time, and more info is available by doing a search.

best, whit

632 Regal
12-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Dex III is backwards compatible with virtually all fluid requirements which includes your GM trans. If you dont have access to a lift you have to get the car up high enough to crawl under it while its running and level...not an easily safe thing to do. I made some safety blocks for my ramps to help with that problem but all in all the stands on the rear have to be absolutly stable. It's a scary thing to do, hopefully you get it right the first time. Heres a link to the safety ramp deal I did.

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/safety%20ramp%20rear.JPG
http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/safetyr%20ramp.jpg

Stay safe man!

Larry Looney
12-13-2005, 08:57 AM
So how do you know if you have lifetime fluds? My OM says Dex II.

632 Regal
12-13-2005, 08:59 AM
just change what comes out from the filter change, dont flush it all out. No such thing as lifetime fluid, its a statement for a disposible vehicle that is supposed to last 100k.

So how do you know if you have lifetime fluds? My OM says Dex II.

Larry Looney
12-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Ok, I'll geter done and thanks for all the inputs over and out from the Land of Enchantment.