PDA

View Full Version : Winter Driving Setup

NY535iManual
12-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi - Newbie here with another question:

Right now, my 89 535i has 18"s on it with the eibach/bilstein lowering kit. Car is great on smooth roads, merciless on the bumps, and can be a real handfull in the wet. Winter is here, and I spend a lot of time driving on ski trips...Which leads to my question: Besides snow tires (15" steel and Blizzaks are on order) do any of you do anything to make your cars more driveable in snow or God-forbid ice? I am thinking of sand bags in the trunk, but am not convinced that weight high up and slightly behind the rear wheels is necessarily a good idea, though it may be better than nothing.

632 Regal
12-12-2005, 12:49 PM
a good set of snows is all you should need, these cars ar 50/50 balanced which is far superior than their american steel brothers which weight in the rear did help.

Tiger
12-12-2005, 01:17 PM
That Blizzak will take care of it for you... I hoped you bought 205/65R15 size for better ice traction.

peks
12-12-2005, 01:19 PM
sandbags in the trunk will help your take-off traction but it wont help you stop, prob make it worse

NY535iManual
12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
I figured the sandbags would only worsen problems in a well balanced car like the e34, but after hearing so much about "problems in snow" I figured I would ask. I had an e28 535is for several years during college and grad school, and I always found it highly competent in snow. My roommate's IROC Z beater was another story entirely, particularly with the treadbare tires he refused to replace until his girlfriend managed to slide the car backwards down a nearby hill (with the car in drive).

Yes, I got the 205/65 15"s - I saw no reason to go big for ugly steel wheels. I will admit to being curious to see what so much more side-wall does to the car's handling on dry pavement, particularly since the Blizzaks are said to have very flexible sidewalls for better lateral bite in slush/snow.

Jay 535i
12-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Yes, I got the 205/65 15"s - I saw no reason to go big for ugly steel wheels. I will admit to being curious to see what so much more side-wall does to the car's handling on dry pavement, particularly since the Blizzaks are said to have very flexible sidewalls for better lateral bite in slush/snow.

I have a new set of Nokian RSi sport winter tires, 205/65 15. Today was the first time I did some fast, twisty driving on dry pavement with them. The difference is interesting. They're a lot noisier, squeeling lightly when taking a corner at seven tenths. The handling has lost some of its edge because of the high sidewalls, but it still turns in and corners crisply. It's not as much fun to drive, for sure, but your souped-up suspension will still be doing its job, keeping the car controlled and planted.

I'm really also quite amazed at how good the car is on snow and ice.

John B.
12-12-2005, 05:05 PM
205 may be an ideal snow tire size for the E34 but I've had no problems running 225 Blizzaks on my 535i. I paid $500 for the 4 tires mounted on BBS mags with only 500 miles on the combo so I wasn't going to be picky about the size. With a 5 speed, limited slip & these tires the car has been the best handling rear drive car I've driven in the snow.

Picatavi
12-12-2005, 05:23 PM
One thing I'd add is that based on my dealer's recommendation, I inflated my 205/65 15 studded Coopers to 33 front, 36 rear. That's higher than the tire shop put them at. I like the ride much better. Does well both on back roads and on the interstate.