PDA

View Full Version : 1992 E34 weird idle in cold

jafcmi
12-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Hello:

I moved to the northeast from Florida and now my 525 has started acting weird. When I start it cold, it revs high (2,000 rpm) and also cycles repreatedly from 750 to 2,000 on a 2 second period. Sometimes the engine light comes on, sometimes it does not. This continues for 15 to 25 minutes and then the car idles fine at 800 rpm. I recently had to have several of the engine coils replaced and it seems to be heading downhill with one problem after another. My wife has given me an ultimatum regarding the car. Help!

Jeff

Picatavi
12-12-2005, 05:33 PM
My first winter with my '92 e34. Had similar experience once it got cold with revs going up and down, tho not quite as much as yours. Also check engine light coming on occasionally. After coming back from a trip on the interstate (40 miles each way), it's staying at around 1200 and no check engine light. Seems to need to get heated up a bit to clean things out and settle it down. -Rich

PS: if that doesn't work, tell your wife you'll miss her.

Wyn
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Idle control valve.

jafcmi
12-13-2005, 08:15 AM
My first winter with my '92 e34. Had similar experience once it got cold with revs going up and down, tho not quite as much as yours. Also check engine light coming on occasionally. After coming back from a trip on the interstate (40 miles each way), it's staying at around 1200 and no check engine light. Seems to need to get heated up a bit to clean things out and settle it down. -Rich

PS: if that doesn't work, tell your wife you'll miss her.

I passed on your advice to my wife and she agrees with you!

Thanks