PDA

View Full Version : Very Wet Under My 530i

Sweetwater
12-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Background: 1995 530i with 71K miles.

Inspection II done over a year ago with 62K miles.

We got a cold spell here over the last 10-12 days. And several snow storms since Thanksgiving weekend. I washed and waxed the queen and set her under the carport in favor of the F150 4x4.

Now I've got an empty power steering reservoir and the coolant light came on when I drove on Friday evening. Nothing obvious from the top of the engine and when I got it up on a lift yesterday, the bottom was coated with oil and coolant but no obvious visible leaks. So I refilled things and this morning the car looked like it had puked.

Drivers side is definitely the wet zone, a combo of power steering and coolant. The radiator and water pump looked great when it was on the lift......OK wise ones, where to begin..........?

632 Regal
12-11-2005, 07:12 PM
common sence prevails here, power wash the bottom and then look for these leaks, then begin to seal the problems.

Kalevera
12-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Fill the cooling system, pressurize it to ~ 2 or 3 bar, see where it leaks. Coolant usually leaves congealed residue around where it's been leaking, so note any visible areas for such things. Aux pumps, heater valves, and expansion tanks are all exploding with the current temps in most of the US.

I troubleshoot PS leaks by first inspecting everything. PS fluid doesn't usually defy gravity, so leaks at hose fittings can be deduced without much cleaning. The reservoirs seem to naturally leak at the point where the lines meet it. I get a can of brakeclean and start washing things down when its obviously a pump/box issue.

Obviously, they're separate issues, but the cause might've been the same. A rodent could've gotten in there and chewed a few things.

best, whit

Sweetwater
12-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm thinking there's a few hoses that are going to need replacement. And at this time of year, it's probably going to be my Christmas present to take her in to a mechanic for a hose job......:D

Jon K
12-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Did you park it next to mine?