PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to say hello, kinda long

doorman
12-10-2005, 12:29 AM
I've been lurking, reading relentlessly now for a while. I reckon its time to say hello, and a BIG thanks for all this information.
My name is Sam and I live in Northern NM, the pretty part, with mountains.
I've always been a truck sort of guy. Duallies, diesel, 4wd, work work work.
I bought an older Benz, diesel, of course, for my wife about a year ago. Tinkered with that thing till it ran like a rolex. Very decent body but had been neglected in the maintenence dept. All my tuning and such brought back such good memories of my teen years. You know what I mean. It runs and drives perfect now. I dont really enjoy driving it,I dont like cars.
For whatever reason, I have NO idea why, but I stopped and looked at this simply beautiful black BMW for sale in Taos.
Reasonable price. Actually I thought it was rather cheap. Clean inside and out. Wrote down the contact numbers, dont know why,I dont like cars.
Drove back thru later and saw what turned out to be the owner showing the car. I stopped. Dont know why, I dont like cars. I look it over real good. Under the hood is the engine cover, dont know what to make of that. But its pretty and clean. I'm told I can drive it when the other person gets back. Thats ok, just stopped to look at it. Heading to my truck I notice the other person leaving. Owner smiles and waves at me. What the hell. I drive the car, supervised, dont you just hate that?! Owner asks if I am really interested. Well......uh....I, uh, dont like cars. Oh. OK. Have a good day. We swap cards. Long story short (yeah right),That all happened on a Friday.
Monday I find myself driving the darn thing to Sante Fe to get a pre purchase inspection. I had done a LOT of research over the weekend. This site and a great many others. I know about the nikasil deal and a few others. I ask to see the block number myself. Right number, I reckon. They give me a decent list of things wrong or almost wrong. Pretty short list overall. Driving back, I'm wondering how I got myself into this, I dont like cars. How can I get out of this? I've gone too far. 90 minutes of dread are ticking by. You know how when you have something unpleasant to do and you simply dread having to do it? Thats it. How do I tell this guy I dont want this car?
The drive back is thru the Rio Grande canyon. Twisty, turny, up, down, more twisty more turny. Kinda having fun. NO! I cant be. I dont like cars. I realize I havent had to hit the brakes since I started thru the turns. I pass a few cars. Wow, this thing moves pretty good. I'm flying, looking at the river thinking that water sure would be cold. More corners. Faster. This isnt bad.
This is getting long. Sorry.

I paid the guy cash. Left my truck in town overnight. Drove the BMW like I stole it all the way home. I have NEVER, ever, enjoyed driving a car, I dont like cars. I guess I'll have to add a couple more tires in the rear, make it 4 wheel drive, and get it to run on diesel. Will a dead elk fit in the trunk?
Help Please.
Sam

The obligatory list?
94 530i
03 F350
99 Ram 3500
82 300D Turbo
87 Ford Bronco II POS
72 Chevy PU Stepside Long Bed
04 35' Cougar HoW

angrypancake
12-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug. Embrace it. Keep in mind, that bimmers are not just mere "cars." Who knew twisty roads were that much fun? Not I, said the Buick.

Scott C
12-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Nice story - Hope you enjoy the BMW!
Scott

onewhippedpuppy
12-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Nice story. You do like trucks, don't you? '72 Chevy stepside, that's a classic, nice trucks.

Johntee540
12-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I find the largest roadkill you can fit in the trunk is a fawn - and we have plenty of those in VA - JT

doorman
12-10-2005, 10:29 AM
You do like trucks, don't you? '72 Chevy stepside, that's a classic, nice trucks.

Matt, Yep, I like trucks.
The stepside. Actually thats my wifes truck. She got that as well as a 57 chevy and a 58 chevy 348 6 pack all original from a previous hubby.
The only reason we keep the 72 is its a longbed. Pretty rare as I understand.

I dont remember driving BMW's being so much fun. I used to be a Tx state vehicle inspector. I drove EVERYTHING. Probably many thousands of cars in the 5 years I did that. Those from Tx that have to get inspected, remember, they have to be tough. We used to have to sign contracts w/ the state.
I have seen more than a few arrested, never to be heard from again.
Thanks for the welcome!
Sam

Gayle
12-10-2005, 11:39 AM
I bought an older Benz, diesel, of course, for my wife about a year ago. Tinkered with that thing till it ran like a rolex. Very decent body but had been neglected in the maintenence dept. All my tuning and such brought back such good memories of my teen years. You know what I mean. It runs and drives perfect now. I dont really enjoy driving it,I dont like cars.

For whatever reason, I have NO idea why, but I stopped and looked at this simply beautiful black BMW for sale in Taos.

Sam--to me it sounds like you enjoy tinkering with engines. An e34 is a great hobby for engine tinkers. You could just work on it and not drive it and maintain that belief that you don't like cars.

To me it also sounds like you were meant to have this car. How else could you have found yourself doing so many things involuntarily. I would say you have met your new mistress.

Scott H
12-10-2005, 12:27 PM
of course, from our side, we see it as a happy ending and affirmation of our own opinions of these cars....

Good luck with it

Paul in NZ
12-10-2005, 03:24 PM
you could get really involved and import a deisel 524tds.I like your story.Even though i like DRIVING i dont really like cars for the cars sake...when I stumbled upon my 535 while looking for a car that would work for me,my story went much the same as yours,I flew to another city to pick it up.I did the deal at about midnight......I always want the car to be perfect cos its only right...

Beez540
12-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Welcome!

good story... it kind of reminded me of how I came into possession of my 540. Except with me it was "I don't like sedans".

Something about these model cars, especially after driving em.... man.

Zeuk in Oz
12-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I have NEVER, ever, enjoyed driving a car, I dont like cars.
Welcome.

You might not realise it but you have been sucker-punched by the BMW engineers who designed this vehicle's (no need to call it a car) rear suspension.

Also shows that you appreciate what you drive when you drive it.

BTW, I understand your love of diesels, my daily driver is a 7.3 litre F250, my wife's is an ML 270 CDI and even my lawn mower is diesel (27 hp Shibaura).

One day I will get to drive a new E60 535d - the chipped version even gives the M5 a run for its money. :D

onewhippedpuppy
12-10-2005, 06:35 PM
You didn't find the car, it found you.

ProZak
12-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Awesome story. Welcome to the newbie club. :D

-Zak-

PS - Do we get to be oldbies if we buy a chip? ;)

Paul in NZ
12-10-2005, 07:08 PM
you get to become an oldies when you start telling newbies about lkms,wheel offsets,hubcentric rings,where the battery is and how to reset the si lights;)