PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new one,clutch pedal stuck on the floor!(long)

Crusty nz
03-09-2004, 03:55 AM
After six hours of cleaning & polishing on Saturday morning my car was used as the number two car in a wedding.As we were delivering the bride and bridesmaids etc to the ceremony up a steep, rutted gravel track,(waste of time polishing the car), the procession came to a temporary halt.
As we started off again I had to be careful not to shower the no 3 car behind me with stones so there was a bit of clutch riding/slipping to move off.Imeadiately we were moving again I knew something wasn't right .The clutch pedal was stuck almost hard on the floor but I still had drive.There was just enough pedal to change gears but only for about 3 changes.After that no pedal.Still drive- but pedal on floor.I managed to drive to a flat part in the road and 'pop' it into neutral.I reached down and pulled the pedal up with my hand.It felt as if it released partially and then 'popped' up the rest of the way.After that it seemed to work fine.Procession continued,wedding done and the rest they say 'is history'.I drove 100km journey today with no problems at all.All I can think is I may have pushed the pedal too far down for too long (If thats possible) and found a sticky section in the slave cylinder?Or some kind of relief valve?Any Ideas?
P.S. George, I know I've asked this before but do you think it possible to make an E32 handle as well as an E34 with all the good bits in it? Cheers Crusty.

jplacson
03-09-2004, 04:21 AM
Might just be a busted slave cylinder.

AllanS
03-09-2004, 09:54 AM
The same thing happened on my step dad's 944- the clutch slave cylinder was frozen, so the shaft wouldn't move. I was able to get it functioning this past weekend by gradually pulling it out by hand (by screwdriver, actually) but it needs to be either replaced or rebuilt. I would think the same might hold true with your 530 as well.

Robbo
03-09-2004, 11:49 AM
My old 535i did something similar, drove 250 miles to see relatives, put it through car wash, drove out of wash and clutch stuck to the floor.

It was the slave cylinder, lots of fluid all over the floor. Did you notice any fluid leaks - how is the fluid levels now?

Bruno
03-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I changed the slave and master cylinders.... But at the end the clutch itself was dead.

fred
03-10-2004, 11:25 AM
After six hours of cleaning & polishing on Saturday morning my car was used as the number two car in a wedding.As we were delivering the bride and bridesmaids etc to the ceremony up a steep, rutted gravel track,(waste of time polishing the car), the procession came to a temporary halt.
As we started off again I had to be careful not to shower the no 3 car behind me with stones so there was a bit of clutch riding/slipping to move off.Imeadiately we were moving again I knew something wasn't right .The clutch pedal was stuck almost hard on the floor but I still had drive.There was just enough pedal to change gears but only for about 3 changes.After that no pedal.Still drive- but pedal on floor.I managed to drive to a flat part in the road and 'pop' it into neutral.I reached down and pulled the pedal up with my hand.It felt as if it released partially and then 'popped' up the rest of the way.After that it seemed to work fine.Procession continued,wedding done and the rest they say 'is history'.I drove 100km journey today with no problems at all.All I can think is I may have pushed the pedal too far down for too long (If thats possible) and found a sticky section in the slave cylinder?Or some kind of relief valve?Any Ideas?
P.S. George, I know I've asked this before but do you think it possible to make an E32 handle as well as an E34 with all the good bits in it? Cheers Crusty.