PDA

View Full Version : Instument cluster PLUG needed for 525i.

nariusb
12-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Anyone has Instrument cluster plug for my 1989 525i that goes in the harness brown connector and NOT inside the cluster which has a brown back plate?
Mine is done for. I'm getting PPPPP on the computer and my fuel, economy, temp and message bar gauges don't work.

shogun
12-09-2005, 07:58 AM
I have not heard of a defective plug. Just no contact etc.
Have you cleaned the contacts in the back of the cluster all with electronic contact cleaner?
Same do with the check control module. Remove the CCM, plug is in, wiggle it, sometimes it has bad contact.
That sounds strange to me.
Do you have the possibility to try or borough another cluster just to check it out? Maybe someone in your area can lend you one for a test.

nariusb
12-09-2005, 08:08 AM
I have not heard of a defective plug. Just no contact etc.
Have you cleaned the contacts in the back of the cluster all with electronic contact cleaner?
Same do with the check control module. Remove the CCM, plug is in, wiggle it, sometimes it has bad contact.
That sounds strange to me.
Do you have the possibility to try or borough another cluster just to check it out? Maybe someone in your area can lend you one for a test.

Hi shogun,
Do you know if I can connect the cluster with the blue plate to mine? It has similar connections, only the brown plug missing the pins for the cluster which is inside it?
I did clean with wd40 all the connections.

nariusb
12-09-2005, 08:49 AM
I went to check the CCM and I also looked at the fuses. Guess what the #20 one for the cluster/CCM was burned. Replaced it and everything came to live.
Thanks Shogun for steering me in the right direction.

shogun
12-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Have you already replaced the capacitors in the cluster?
That I would do first. They play crazy when the caps are at the end of their lifetime. Only a few $ investment to buy them and to solder them in, anyone (almost) can do that , or ask a radio repair shop to do it for you. Detailed descirption is on Johan and Sean's page, link on my website below.

up to 2/89:

old cluster (with grey backplate) with coding plug in the cable loom

2/89 to 9/90:
1. Redesign -> cluster (with white backplate) with coding plug in cluster

from 9/90:
2. Redesign -> cluster (with blue backplate) with coding plug in cluster

In a car built up to 2/89 all 3 variants fit
From 2/89 you can only use clusters with 1st and 2nd redesign

BUT: the coding plug must always exactly fit the the special design variant of the cluster. It cannot be changed.
That means, do not force an EPROM inside. If it does not fit, it is the wrong cluster.

nariusb
12-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Have you already replaced the capacitors in the cluster?
That I would do first. They play crazy when the caps are at the end of their lifetime. Only a few $ investment to buy them and to solder them in, anyone (almost) can do that , or ask a radio repair shop to do it for you. Detailed descirption is on Johan and Sean's page, link on my website below.

up to 2/89:

old cluster (with grey backplate) with coding plug in the cable loom

2/89 to 9/90:
1. Redesign -> cluster (with white backplate) with coding plug in cluster

from 9/90:
2. Redesign -> cluster (with blue backplate) with coding plug in cluster

In a car built up to 2/89 all 3 variants fit
From 2/89 you can only use clusters with 1st and 2nd redesign

BUT: the coding plug must always exactly fit the the special design variant of the cluster. It cannot be changed.
That means, do not force an EPROM inside. If it does not fit, it is the wrong cluster.

Yes, I did the cap change couple of months ago as a precaution.

Shogun, could you just confirm for somebody else who reads it, that as long as the harness brown conection with the plug inside goes fits in the later design cluster then that cluster will work OK with the 1989 e34?