PDA

View Full Version : Seating Question

jenfly00
12-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I know you can put E30 front seats in the E34 with the proper adapters, but would the rear seat work? Anybody tried it? Might be a stupid question, but I'm fearless. :)

Springfield1952
12-08-2005, 10:45 PM
I gotta believe the e30 is narrower than an e34 and that rear seat wouldn't fit properly.

Curt.

NY535iManual
12-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Speaking of the adapters - does anyone know where these can be purchased "off the shelf?" BMP, BAS and other normal sources deny their existence. The fabrication isn't hard, but why reinvent the wheel?

Incantation
12-09-2005, 10:10 AM
curious why you'd want to do this? i think the e34 has the most comfortable seats i have ever had the pleasure of seating my rump in

NY535iManual
12-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Its just one of those things I guess - I find the stock e34 seats really uncomfortable for some reason, perhaps because I can't get the seat back sufficiently upright while keeping lateral support.

I've had multiple e30 and e28 sport models, so I think I just got really used to the sport seats. If you have a spare set of gray leather fronts from an e34 M5 I'd be happy to swap em with you! :)

jenfly00
12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I have tan seats. :)

And I was just pondering the back seat thing. Just wondering if it were possible...(calculating)

Thanks for the replies.

I do have an addition question though...I believe I am going to install the E30 sport seats in my E34, but as I have power/heated seats, I'm wondering how it's going to pan out. Could I still slide forward/backward? I don't care if the vertical is inoperatable. And could I still tilt forward and raise the seat? I'm a newbie here and I know I'm probably asking all the dumb questions, but cut me some slack. I'm 23 and female. Enough said. :)

NY535iManual
12-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Were you able to find the brackets to put e30 seats into an e34? Would you share the secret with a fellow newbie?

jenfly00
12-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, there are periodically brackets on e-bay, but I can't tell you of their quality. I was just going to try him out, and if they don't work properly then I'll be on another search or figure it out on my own. (Sometimes I'm a smart cookie). lol

Were you able to find the brackets to put e30 seats into an e34? Would you share the secret with a fellow newbie?

SC David
12-09-2005, 03:47 PM
I like the E30 sports seats. My gf's 325 has the heated sport seats, and even though they're worn down I still feel really stable on them. But...my seats are more comfortable for cruising and everyday non-twisty driving. I just wish they were heated.

The E34 rear seat is WAY more comfortable than the E30 one. Plus, E30 coupes are 4 seaters...if those were even the seats you were going to be swapping. No center armrest either.

jenfly00
12-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah, as far as the rear seats go, I was just pondering. I guess while you were posting to this thread, I posted another about some heated e30 seats that I want to swap. But, I don't know a whole lot about it.

And BTW, I LOVE your pic. That's awsome. :p

632 Regal
12-09-2005, 04:32 PM
the wiring for heated seats is existing in all E34s (as far as I know) you can get the E30 seats to heat but you might have to cut wired cause I dont think they will plug in. Are you sure you need adapters to bolt them in? This is a rarley asked question about seats and Im curious about it.

jenfly00
12-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure adapters are needed, but if not, I haven't lost much. $20 or so. I guess putting E30 sport seats into an E34 isn't common. I just really like the seats and my original seats aren't in too good of condition as far as looks go, nor do I care for how thay sit. Not that they are bad, just blah. I like the thigh support in the sport seats.

the wiring for heated seats is existing in all E34s (as far as I know) you can get the E30 seats to heat but you might have to cut wired cause I dont think they will plug in. Are you sure you need adapters to bolt them in? This is a rarley asked question about seats and Im curious about it.

Kalevera
12-09-2005, 09:10 PM
The E30 heated seat switch is outboard of the seat/on the center console, in the same design theory as practically every other heated seat car that BMW has made besides the E32/E34.

Personally, I'd just find a set of E34 sport seats. E30 fake recaros get nasty as they age. Sure, they've got tons of lateral support, but there are much better bolt on solutions to be had. Strictly German in Atlanta/Grover, NC commonly sells E34 seats on eBay. I saw a set of sport seats go for less than $300 a month or so ago....a great deal, if you ask me.

I like my 740 comfort seats out of the whole lot, and I've had occasion to sit in all of them. The power lumbar support is nice, as is the arm rest (which won't be found on a fake recaro).

best, whit