PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my M50 (insert laughter), question.....

Dave M
12-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Been busy after work the past few nights getting ready to yank the engine. Bentleys mentions a 'tool' for the rear end, but I spy this tempting eye as seen below.

Can I use this safely to pull the M50??

More to come,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/Hoist_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/Hoist_1.jpg

Dave M

AllGo'n'Show
12-08-2005, 07:21 PM
My guess, NO.

I have tried it on other cars and they tend to bend or break, and some of them are a bitch to replace, ended up JB welding one cause coudlnt get it off.

I don't recommend it.

I take it your looking for something to hook onto to pull the engine? That bolt hole right below looks good, or that black bracket. If you can't get the hook in, go find a bolt that fits in there and lift it from that bolt, atleast when u break the bolt if you do u can replace that easier.

winfred
12-08-2005, 07:56 PM
that is the official rear lifting point, it sucks ass to get to with the intake on but is plenty strong, in 10 years of pulling and working on bmw engines i have yet to see a broken eye or hear about one and some of my customers could **** up a bowling ball with a rubber hammer

AllGo'n'Show
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Wait, can u btoh circle what u are talking about? I think I am thinking the wrong thing.

Kalevera
12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Absolutely, Dave.

As with Winfred, I use that hole when it's there (M50 and up, really). Our hoist has a U bolt and a pin that work nicely on it.

Oh, and the tool that Mr. Burke is talking about centers on the flywheel and mounts to the two highest bolt holes on the block for the trans bellhousing (below the head gasket). It's not necessary.

Be sure to pull the radiator, and hang the A/C compressor with some strong wire -- it can hang on its own, but extra support is always a good idea.

best, whit

winfred
12-08-2005, 09:32 PM
what have you seen that doesn't have it? m10/20/30/42/44/50/52 all have em, the v8/v12 are the only ones that don't have a cast in lifting point that i have seen

I use that hole when it's there (M50 and up, really). Our hoist has a U bolt and a pin that work nicely on it.

Kalevera
12-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Winfred, absolutely. I wasn't thinking clearly/the last motors I lifted were an M60, an M52TU, then an M70, and I can't even remember how I got the v12 out at the moment, so things are getting jumbled up.

best, whit

Jon K
12-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Winfred, absolutely. I wasn't thinking clearly/the last motors I lifted were an M60, an M52TU, then an M70, and I can't even remember how I got the v12 out at the moment, so things are getting jumbled up.

best, whit

Yeah theres no chance in that lift point breaking lol

Dave M
12-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Thank you guys.

It should come out this weekend. As for anything AC related, its been removed. The condenser was toast so I pulled the entire system to beyond the 'bulkhead'. I have no need fo AC (read: Canada) and can't justify replacing and maintaining it all. Should I expect any ill-effects from pulling the condensor and friends? I didn't imagine, but any guidance would be appreciated.

With all this room to move, I've contemplated forced air. what am I thinking?

Dave M

632 Regal
12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
sounds like you'll be rolling just after x-mas, congrats Dave!

shogun
12-09-2005, 04:04 AM
How the M70 comes out I can show you here on my one
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/friends/gallery.htm
2 "official" hooks on the engine