PDA

View Full Version : 16" vs 17" vs 18" wheels

onewhippedpuppy
12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I'd like to hear opinions from those that have gone from small to big, or big to small for wheels. I currently have 16" OE style 8s, and would like to get either 17" M5 T-stars of 18" OE M-parallels. I won't consider a replica, OE ones only, so they should be respectively light for their size. My car is a daily, and often a family car, so I want to keep the ride quality about the same. A little more responsiveness would be nice, but it's not a track car.

I'd just like some pros and cons, beyond just the looks and cost of new tires.

632 Regal
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM
completely matters on the roads, with 18s they will bend real easy on crappy roads. Youll get a better ride with more tire but responsiveness wont be as instant. Here in michigan 17's about the max with the roads but youll always see some homey with 22s on a toyota ya know?

onewhippedpuppy
12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
There's a guy in town that has a pimped out looking '80s Caddy, and that damn thing has to have at least 22s on it, looks like a monster truck. I can't believe it doesn't rub like hell, or maybe that's the price you pay for all that bling.

misfortune
12-08-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd like to hear opinions from those that have gone from small to big, or big to small for wheels. I currently have 16" OE style 8s, and would like to get either 17" M5 T-stars of 18" OE M-parallels. I won't consider a replica, OE ones only, so they should be respectively light for their size. My car is a daily, and often a family car, so I want to keep the ride quality about the same. A little more responsiveness would be nice, but it's not a track car.

I'd just like some pros and cons, beyond just the looks and cost of new tires.
WHAT THOSE AREE 16s?!?! Those look awesome.

/me adds style 8's to list

My dream is a set of 16s since the car was designed with 15" rims in mind, so you're not messing w/ ride quality too much. I hear 17s and 18s bend pretty easy if your road sucks.

Where did you get those wheels and how much?

Guapo
12-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Basically anytime you go up on wheel size, you decrease your tire profile height. This will provide crisper handling in exhange for more firmness. There's always a compromise.

From the sound of it, I'd say you'd most likely want to go with 17's. 18's really start to get quite a bit firmer, along with the risk of potholes, nevermind more pricey tires.

Springfield1952
12-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I have 17" T'Stars on my M5 and the ride is fine. I also don't really worry about bending them though I will drive around a nasty pothole if I see it in time. Good luck.

Curt.

ProZak
12-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything (and I agree, 16s are probably the best compromise on these cars, especially for a daily driver) but where on earth do people buy OEM rims without paying ridiculous money? eBay is out unless you're really lucky, because most of the stuff you find there is replica. Any thoughts?

smcgowan
12-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Here's one with nice rims.. The owner got busted with drugs.... Go figure.

Incantation
12-08-2005, 04:37 PM
the bigger your wheels, the more pronounced the 55mph shimmy will be.. difference in ride quality is negligable under normal conditions but on bad roads yea i wouldn't rock 18s.. unless they are forged

those wheels you have on now look great.. did you re-consider having them refinished?

onewhippedpuppy
12-08-2005, 04:38 PM
If you get lucky you can catch some on bimmerforums, and there's a bunch on Roadfly. Favorite recent deals I have seen is a really nice set of OE T-Stars for about $1000 and OE M-Pars for $800 shipped. Post on the regional forums on Bf, sometimes people have wheels they would part with, but don't want to screw with shipping.

Thanks misfortune, they came on the car. Here's a really nice looking set for $400, they still have the OE silver finish and center caps, which mine don't have. Pretty cheap though.
http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifieds/wheels/detview.php?view=18155

onewhippedpuppy
12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm still kicking around the idea, but I'll probably DIY refinish them myself just because it's cheap. I think I'm looking for somebody to talk me out of new ones.:)

If I do it, I'm hoping to do that and get all the black trim painted over Christmas break. Hopefully Santa will bring me some money to play with, maybe some euro corner trim, clear turn signals and euro tails too.:)

Beez540
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
If you can find some T-stars for a good deal, get em. But personally, I think what you have on there now looks great.

I went from the good ole 15" basketweaves to the 16" E39 style 33's and I could tell a difference in ride quality. A bit stiffer for sure. So I don't think I'd want to go to a 17 and definitely not an 18 for all the driving I do everyday.

Also, keep in mind that once you hit 17" the tire prices go waaaaay up.

angrypancake
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Fo-shizzle! 40 inches fo-rizzle!

angrypancake
12-08-2005, 07:51 PM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4756/140inchwheels1ao.jpg

actually I'm going with 17's right now, and they seem just right. but stupid me, 19's will be coming in the spring. for your 540, the t-stars in 17 would be sweet.

liquidtiger720
12-08-2005, 08:14 PM
i vote 17's or 18's. 18's are okay, tires are way way more expensive than 17's. ride quality- harse....but daym, they look good. hehe. My 18's seems to be doing very well considering all the f'in potholes n **** here in s.f.

SS525i
12-08-2005, 09:18 PM
shoot, you should have taken a ride in mine while I still had my 18s on... definitely much more harsh than with the 15s I have on right now... (I'm sure suspension probably plays a big role in my harsh ride too though)

oh, and good luck finding tires in Wichita if you get 18s :) hence why I'm pimpin' my 15s LOL ... we're going to have to order some in so I can get my Breyton's back on!

DueyT
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
OWP, your 16's look particularly nice! If you were still bent on upgrading, I would be happy with 17's...well, I am happy with my 17's actually... :D

onewhippedpuppy
12-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Yeah, but that's where Tire Rack comes in. When I had my 951, the only place in town that had good 17" performance tires for a good price and in stock was the Bridgestone/ Firestone store. They're pretty good though, I got my Fuzions for the same price as Tire Rack, and they didn't scratch my wheels, which is rare.

SS525i
12-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Cool... I'll check them out too.... figured we'd end up ordering from TireRack, but weren't quite sure where to take them for mounting, really don't want to scratch my rims up :(

onewhippedpuppy
12-09-2005, 01:05 PM
You might check into some of the Tire Rack affiliated local companies. They set up agreements with local shops, and can ship the tires directly to them. You just show up for the mount and balance. I know that Best Mechanical Work is on the list, Mo Zahr is the owner, and a PCA member. I know many of the local Porsche guys took their cars there and spoke very highly of him. I would think that would be a safe bet.

I also had the Bridgstone shop do my wife's 4Runner, again no problems. I even asked them to do an alignment, but when they found the settings were within spec they didn't charge me. They're a full service repair shop though, which helps, it's an actual mechanic doing your tires versus a high schooler like at Wal Mart. If they have something you like they seem to be willing to work a little on the price too. Make sure you take the Tire Rack's shipping charges into account too, that can get pretty steep.

Jay 535i
12-09-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm really happy with 17". I think 18 is just too much for this car. It wasn't designed for it. My rims, IMHO, look great and handle sweetly.

I went back to 15" today for the winter. The car is back to being pillowy. Not bad, but not what I want. I was hooning around a couple days ago and couldn't get over how crisp and eager the handling is with the 17" rims and Sachs kit.