PDA

View Full Version : Steering/Cornering problem - E34 M5

csmk
12-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi,

I have a 1990 M5 (e34) and we're having problems diagnosing a fault.

When taking a particularly sharp corner you can feel a juddering through the steering... if you hit a bump whilst going around the corner the entire steering shakes and can be felt through the bodywork.

This juddering/shaking increases with speed but can occur at speeds as low as 30mph on a bumpy road.

So far...

Since developing the fault:
The front suspension rear tie rod bushes have been changed.
The tracking has been checked
Tyre pressures have been checked
The car had a leaking pipe and faulty regulating valve in the self levelling system, replaced.
The steering/sls suspension fluid has been changed.
Edit: forgot to mention, front shocker top mounts also checked.

The car has had new rear springs and sls shocks (stock bmw parts) within the last year. One front shock was also replaced for the MOT in April.

Any ideas?

Mark

Scott H
12-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Also what condition are the upper strut bearings in?

I assume you only have self levelling in the rear so leave that out of the equation right now.

csmk
12-08-2005, 11:39 AM
The control arms have been looked at and are fine, but as for the strut bearings, hadn't even considered them until now. It seems they weren't changed when the shocks went on back in April even though its suggested to do so when the shocks are changed.
Thanks for the suggestion

Beemr750
12-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Had similar prob when the thrustarms were replaced.Brought it back and was told needed shocks and maybe tires by the indy mech.But when it was up on the rack I noticed the inside tire showed rubbing marks and pointed it out,and was told a missaligenment was doing it.I did not buy that crap so I asked to see a pic of it in a shop book. It turned out the mech had the arms confused and installed them wrong sided.They worked perfect did'n even effected the alignment.

romus
12-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I have same thing as you! Not at high speeds and i did try up to 160km/h. But where my steering shakes bad is when i hit a pothole...

I just avoid them and there's no shaking. Yours seems to be worse though

525SEI BRIT
12-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I had the same symptoms you have described shortly after first buying my E34 at speed and gradually got worse cornering at lower speeds.
The problem was simply age front shock absorbers. (Fitting labels were still intact, dated 1993. meaning they had survived nearly 10 years of spirited driving on UK roads. Outstanding!)

Changed all 4 shock and springs with FK setup (lower & firmer) problem solved.

Don’t forget the your top mounts, many a shoddy garage will not bother replacing and stupidly just refit the rusted sized shite that’s probably as old as the car!! Pointless!!!

Hi,

I have a 1990 M5 (e34) and we're having problems diagnosing a fault.

When taking a particularly sharp corner you can feel a juddering through the steering... if you hit a bump whilst going around the corner the entire steering shakes and can be felt through the bodywork.

This juddering/shaking increases with speed but can occur at speeds as low as 30mph on a bumpy road.

So far...

Since developing the fault:
The front suspension rear tie rod bushes have been changed.
The tracking has been checked
Tyre pressures have been checked
The car had a leaking pipe and faulty regulating valve in the self levelling system, replaced.
The steering/sls suspension fluid has been changed.

The car has had new rear springs and sls shocks (stock bmw parts) within the last year. One front shock was also replaced for the MOT in April.

Any ideas?

Mark

csmk
12-08-2005, 04:47 PM
thanks, i was considering front shockers as well... although one was "supposedly" changed in april for its last MOT.

632 Regal
12-08-2005, 06:15 PM
shocks explain what your eperiencing.