PDA

View Full Version : clay bars and clunks.....

Paul in NZ
03-09-2004, 02:51 AM
getting ready for a club show and shine..Now i think the paint work on my car is pretty good so i want to get the best result with minimal "wear"Our local auto parts store has a mothers clay bar kit for 50 bucks as opposed to a meguirs or mothers three step cleaning kit for more...Once you have used a clay bar once can you use it again?????(you ready Patrick????)
I have had a slight clunk from the front left suspensiion but it is getting louder.It only happens when the front wheel drops into a pot hole or gutter at lower speeds..I also think i felt a slight kerlunk just as the car came to a stop today.....wot is it? Sway bar links????

Patrick
03-09-2004, 03:28 AM
Just kidding.
I wouldn't recommend using a clay bar twice although you could if you want -maybe in your case I'll send you my old one after I fill it with sand.
The reason I wouldn't is that as the bar is moved across the surface of your car it shears and pulls contaminants (pollution, road grime, bugs, tar etc.) from your clear coat. These are collected and held in the bar. Using it over obviously exposes your car to possible scratching.
After you wash your car, run your had across the dry surface, if it feels rough, your car would probably benefit from using a clay bar. If not, just use a three step kit -if you want to go that extent.
Check out this good site (if you haven't already) and click on 'How to' to learn more. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
As for the clunk, I agree with you about looking at the sway bar links first.
Hth -and no, I'm not ready, but I will be!:)

George M
03-09-2004, 06:21 AM
if the preceeding car clayed with the bar you are about to use isn't too bad, you can reuse the clay. The key with clay is how the bar is folded during its use. Kneading distributes piked up debris throughout the clay. Here’s what is suggest to get maximum life from the clay with minimum chance of marring: Start with a 2”x3” rectangular patty of clay (half a Clay Magic bar or a full Z-18 bar). Use one side only. When that side has it’s limit of debris, grasp the two 3” sides and stretch it evenly until you have a 2”x4” patty. Now grasp the 2” sides and stretch evenly until you have a 3”x4” patty. Fold in half (without any kneading) and you have another 2”x3” patty with two clean sides. Repeat the above, again using only one side before stretching and folding.
If you are going to show your car you will want to polish it. The best way to polish it is with a Porter Cable Random Orbital. I have already started this process on my cars.
It is time consuming but if you want a show car look...best to:
-wash with Dawn
-clay
-polish
-glaze
-wax
The last three steps being performed with a PC orbital polisher....a must have for any car enthusiast.

Can create a mirror like appearance with the above technique even on an old BMW.
HTH,
George

Unregistered
03-09-2004, 08:26 AM
I just clayed my car, the bar is hardly contaminated though my paint was kept religiously clean before claying. I believe you could use a bar twice, the key is to knead it alot and disperse and contaminants around.

As far as the suspension clunk... jack the car up. Let the wheel lift from the ground. Lift the boot that is over your shock (its probably ruffled and plastic) and get it out of the way. You will see a big ring thats just above the threaded part of the shock. Get a pipe clamp (monkey wrench) and tight that retainer down. THis should fix your issue. If not, you know what it wasnt.

Jon K
03-09-2004, 08:27 AM
^^^ Was me....

PS: $50 for the mothers kit is a lot, I paid $18 @ Pep Boyz for my Mothers Kit with detail spray.

MBXB
03-09-2004, 11:23 AM
I noticed hard water marks on my car finish. What's the best way to remove these without messing up the clear coat? Do I need clay for this?

Thanks

Ramon/MBXB

if the preceeding car clayed with the bar you are about to use isn't too bad, you can reuse the clay. The key with clay is how the bar is folded during its use. Kneading distributes piked up debris throughout the clay. Here’s what is suggest to get maximum life from the clay with minimum chance of marring: Start with a 2”x3” rectangular patty of clay (half a Clay Magic bar or a full Z-18 bar). Use one side only. When that side has it’s limit of debris, grasp the two 3” sides and stretch it evenly until you have a 2”x4” patty. Now grasp the 2” sides and stretch evenly until you have a 3”x4” patty. Fold in half (without any kneading) and you have another 2”x3” patty with two clean sides. Repeat the above, again using only one side before stretching and folding.
If you are going to show your car you will want to polish it. The best way to polish it is with a Porter Cable Random Orbital. I have already started this process on my cars.
It is time consuming but if you want a show car look...best to:
-wash with Dawn
-clay
-polish
-glaze
-wax
The last three steps being performed with a PC orbital polisher....a must have for any car enthusiast.

Can create a mirror like appearance with the above technique even on an old BMW.
HTH,
George

Tiger
03-09-2004, 11:34 AM
$50?! I bought those for only $20 at Pep Boys. Autozone sells Magic Clay for $10... worth every penny of that $10.

Tiger
03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Wash it again with car wash soap... car wash soap is a 'softner' that removes the hard water spots... and pull car into garage to dry or wipe as fast as you can.

Tiger
03-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Clay bar is good for two or three cars... It really depends on how dirty it is... if your car has been clayed before, then you probably can get away 3 times. Easy way to tell is if you got gunks after kneeding it... it is done... If it starts to fall apart (not sticking together well), it is done also.

Paul in NZ
03-09-2004, 02:39 PM
:)

Brian C.
03-09-2004, 02:42 PM
;)

Brian C.
03-09-2004, 04:28 PM
:d

Tiger
03-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Ahh... Down under! Mmm... do does water cost $5 a bottle?

bfd
03-09-2004, 06:34 PM
:)

I wonder how much shipping is from the US? www.partsamerica.com (Kragen/Checkers/Shucks/Advance Auto parts for those in the US) has Mothers Clay bar for $15 here:

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=MRS&MfrPartNumber=07240&CategoryCode=3306

Might be worth inquiring about shipping, maybe even what a case would cost...

Tiger
03-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Mmm... 10 lbs to Wellington would be $131!!! But let's do the math... $10 per Magic Clay... 10 pounds is 10 packages...$100... plus shipping is $231... so each package is $23.10 each... still not bad... Dump all the packaging and you can get more bang per buck.