PDA

View Full Version : roadfly does not allow tinyurl anymore

shogun
12-08-2005, 03:43 AM
I wonder what these people have against links to some boards. Bimmerboard is not allowed, you only see a [OOPS]... when you make a link to bimmerboard.
But as there are many good tech tips in the archive (especially the 7 series), people often try to link , just to help someone.
As that got frustrating with the OOPS, they used tinyurl to link that.
Now even tinyurl is no longer allowed and it is OOPSED.
Also my tech tips page link is OOPSED as I use tinyurl because my address is that long.
I really do not understand this system. They cannot keep people only by removing links to other boards. And the people make the board.
So I just have changed my tinyurl address there to
http://urly.de/7f8b

Now it works again and people get help ;)

632 Regal
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM
(Oops!)

shragon
12-08-2005, 12:56 PM
yea, roadflea is so against everything. linking, posting stuff for sale, they just plain suck. now their free web hosting is only available to the inner circle jack members. old bimmer.org days > roadflea.

and because of all that crap, is the reason why this awesome board was started in the first place. :D

shogun
01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
My official protest:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e32/7371948-1.html

Better I copy that here before they delete it:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

my questions to this management of this board (5 views) (5 thread views)

Message: I have been sending here links from all over the world to help people in need for repairs.
Why is this board cutting out certain names/links to other boards.

I hope I can get an asnwer.

-------------------------
Author: shogun on 2006-01-09 at 07:55:07 (posted from: Host: h201181.ppp.asahi-net.or.jp IP: 61.114.201.181)

Subject: Charlie, why do you not anwer (4 views) (4 thread views)

Message: to my email from last year? You replied that you are celebrating X-mas with your family. I fully understand this and I am waiting now.

Why you do not allow short url's and certain links to another board, which I only use to HELP people with repair links.
Now I am really shocked, that the computer system you have installed is now even cutting out pictures from an Austrian board with a similar name
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e32/7371938-1.html
click here

I want to try to help people in need for a repair, but this board does not allow it when certain links to other repairs are done.

Thank you very much for your reply.

750iL 11/88,750iL Highline 03/90
E32 Tech Tips http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm

tim
01-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Why do you waste your time over there Shogun?

shogun
01-09-2006, 08:22 AM
I just want to help people which do not know other boards.
That is the reason.

tim
01-09-2006, 08:30 AM
I just want to help people which do not know other boards.
That is the reason.

So did the rest of us. That's why this board exists. Finding this board is like an IQ test- those who can find us (and it's easy) get all the help they need. When I do a google search on "e34" Bruno's is the first link. I appreciate your interest in helping, though. We need more like you. Good luck with roadflea.

shogun
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Message does not exist: Is that the answer?

I just checked my first post above with the link to the help desk on roadfly with my official question. And unfortunately, the message which I posted on Speciality Forums-Help Desk-, has been deleted.

So probably I will be "deleted" here too sooner or later.
No answer and just deleting is also an answer, I understand.
Just in case I cannot log in anymore, I say "Sayonara" to all my friends here.
See you soon somewhere.

PS:
I keep a copy of that deleted posting.
And I thought I can get an official reply here and open to everyone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the headlines and the number of views:

my questions to this management of this board (url) - shogun 2006-01-09 07:58:05 (168 views) (241 thread views)
Shogun is INNOCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (url) - Tony UK 2006-01-09 20:25:51 (9 views)
There are some silly things going on here (m) - ///M Blitz 2006-01-09 10:04:17 (86 views)
Re: my questions to this management of this board - UNCGQ 2006-01-09 08:14:34 (97 views)
YES! Shogun is right!! REVOLUTION!!!!! - FrancoisP 2006-01-09 12:52:14 (45 views)
LET SHOGUN BE SHOGUN!!!! (nt) - Neal Smith 2006-01-09 19:13:16 (6 views)
Free Shogun now! (nt) - bcweir ©6 2006-01-09 09:32:50 (42 views)
Message does not exist: Is that the answer? - shogun 2006-01-09 20:47:58 (4 views)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
They either ban me or they change the system.

shogun
01-10-2006, 02:33 AM
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e32/7375205-1.html

and before my post might be deleted again, I copy that here:
-quote-

The ToS is here

I have been reminded not to use tiny url or other short versions to link other websites, in accordance with ToS. As you know, often words/links are "[OOPS]ed" on this board, because apparently not all links are allowed. But are these links not allowed because of the regulations? I do not think so, they are cut out because of other reasons.
--------------------------------------------------------

6. MEMBER CONDUCT

You agree to not use the Service to:
a. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
b. harm minors in any way;
c. impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Roadfly official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
d. forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Service;
e. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
f. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;
g. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation.
h. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
i. disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to "scroll" faster than other users of the Service are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges;
j. interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service;
k. intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including, but not limited to, regulations promulgated by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, any rules of any national or other securities exchange, including, without limitation, the New York Stock Exchange, the American Stock Exchange or the NASDAQ, and any regulations having the force of law;
l. "stalk" or otherwise harass another; or
m. collect or store personal data about other users.
-------------------------------------

Coming back to the point which is apparently what they mean:
------------------------------------------------------------
d. forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Service;
------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to know why I manipulate identifiers when I link my OWN website in my signature or any other website for example with t i n y u r l
Why is there an "[OOPS]" in such links or to some other boards or even if someone just types the word
b*i*m*m*e*r
It is clear that some boards/forums with this word in it (or only one?) is not wanted and to avoid this the mod-omatic is put in place.

This is called so by Charlie: I copy a post from the help desk forum:

mod-o-matic probably (56 views)

We don't delete very many posts these days. Most of the time if your post has disappeared it has been "modo-matic'd." If other members of the forums think the post is spam, selling stuff, links to eBay, etc. they will flag the post and it will be automatically removed.
-------------------------------------------------------

Again I am applying to the moderators of this board to switch of the "mod-o-matic" to avoid that people in need here cannot get help with links to tech tips from other boards, JUST because THAT name is in their URL. Yesterday even a link to the b..board.at in Austria was mod-o-mated, although I just wanted to show someone pics of a V12 engine, where the fuel lines go and the intakes.
WHY can I not use shortened URL's for my own tech tips page, where there is even no adverterisement and nobody has to pay to see and read there.

If the executives of this board believe that they can only keep the members by such methods, then I strongly believe that this is the wrong approach.
People make a board and keep it alive, not the regulations.

I appreciate very much any official comment from the responsible person for this board.
I repeat, I do not have any commercial interest in linking other websites, it is just to help people in need for technical advise to keep their cars alive with the help from all board members here and their own expertise.

-unquote-

angrypancake
01-10-2006, 03:33 AM
Praise to you, Shogun, for perservering to help people that need it, like myself. I was never a part of roadflea, but this makes me glad I wasn't.

shogun
01-10-2006, 11:08 AM
See the statement of Charlie:

Charlie R. on 2006-01-10 at 10:43:53 (Roadfly member #1; Roadfly Inner Circle member since 1997-04-01)

Subject: Guys, can we please get back on topic

Message: This thread was emailed to me. I'm in Detroit covering the Auto Show and don't have time to respond. Remember that if you're reading the forums you're reading an awful lot of rumor and speculation. In some cases we don't allow URLs because we have legal problems with the owners, in some cases, we don't allow URLs because of fraud problems, and there are a host of other reasons as well.

We have rules for a reason and we provide these forums as a free resource and ask that people simply follow the rules. One of the rules is that we ask people not to intentionally go around our banning of a URL. Doing so is always cause to have membership terminated and in my opinion is a really silly reason to have membership terminated.

In the case of Shogun, he has violated a major policy of ours for airing his personal disagreement in public to try and drum up discontent and make a scene. This approach is not tolerated and always leads to that individual being banned from Roadfly.

We have a very large community of millions of people to keep happy. We can't let one individual or 20 for that matter dictate policy for the entire forum especially when those people are basing their arguments not on fact but on rumor and speculation.

I'm closing this thread. Can we please get back to discussing E32s now.

angrypancake
01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I thought you aired your disagreement publicly due to the fact that you couldn't reach any of the admin privately? Oh well, it sucks for them, and is their loss. Now we can monopolize your time!

genphreak
01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
See the statement of Charlie:

We have rules for a reason and we provide these forums as a free resource and ask that people simply follow the rules. One of the rules is that we ask people not to intentionally go around our banning of a URL. Doing so is always cause to have membership terminated and in my opinion is a really silly reason to have membership terminated.

In the case of Shogun, he has violated a major policy of ours for airing his personal disagreement in public to try and drum up discontent and make a scene. This approach is not tolerated and always leads to that individual being banned from Roadfly.

We have a very large community of millions of people to keep happy. We can't let one individual or 20 for that matter dictate policy for the entire forum especially when those people are basing their arguments not on fact but on rumor and speculation.

I'm closing this thread. Can we please get back to discussing E32s now. What a joke, discussing e32s is all Shogun ever does.

Their loss Erich, I can only say that people get too big for the pants and forget what keeps them in them.

Now I lose respect for Roadfly entirely. All they are interested in doing is making money- so much so they resort to banning dissenting members just like a Burmese, Pinochet or Stalin government would throw a dissenter in jail or in front of a firing squad. I never liked Roadfly for its commercial approach to a community based thing, anyone can milk a community for money as is their want- and it is not pleasant being there when it happens. Erich, those guys wouldn't know you or the work you do, they are too cheap adn cynical to have any staff (secret police) to tell them you are more than the average joe who actually helps them make the money they so love.

But don't lose any sleep over it, by posting there all you do is help them do this at the expense of more worthy, helpful and supported communities you are so familiar with (and as we have here, thanks be to Ed...) :) Nick

Eric Clark
01-11-2006, 09:15 AM
This is a huge loss for roadfly. It is too bad you could not post on the E34 board to give everyone there a heads up.

The main reason I like and still use roadfly is because I love the layout. There are also some great guys over there and the layout makes it easy to track their new posts.

shogun
01-11-2006, 09:59 AM
That may be a good idea to let them know that I am no longer there. As you said there are some great guys over there too and they might be wondering why I suddenly do not post anymore.
Just today I got from someone on E32 board roadfly an email asking for help.
I do not know if that would be possible that someone posts something there without getting into trouble on the E34 board.
Ahh, well, for sure one day they will notice.

Eric Clark
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
That may be a good idea to let them know that I am no longer there. As you said there are some great guys over there too and they might be wondering why I suddenly do not post anymore.
Just today I got from someone on E32 board roadfly an email asking for help.
I do not know if that would be possible that someone posts something there without getting into trouble on the E34 board.
Ahh, well, for sure one day they will notice.

I was thinking of posting but like you said, I would probably get banned. Anyway, will this be the main place we can find you???

shogun
01-13-2006, 03:15 AM
I have many places where you can find me
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php
http://www.the7seriesregister.co.uk/forums/index.php?
http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/default.asp
http://www.bimmerforums.com/main.php
http://www.e34.de/frames.php
http://www.7-forum.com/index.php
http://www.remip.de/bmw/
http://www.remip.de/bmw/
http://e30-talk.com/index2.php

Pls some more ;-)

hakwuzhere
01-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Not sure of the history of the BMW boards... but in the few months that I have been surfing through a few. It seems that originally roadfly was the place to be... then they decided that the big brother aproach to moderation was the key to making money, and the other boards formed...

I have been a regular on many message boards for about 10 years... Ive moderated, ran, and left many a board. But this story seems all to common these days.

I used to play Everquest (or Evercrack, or whatever you call it :)) for 5 years, from 99 to '04... the board for my server was originally hosted by IGN, it had between 3-4k members.... then one day, in about '02 the moderators decided that the 3 years of doing what we were doing was wrong. They banned, edited posts and removed users over the course of 2 days... (my fondest memory of the people I met in EQ was 9/11/01 when we were all trying to figure out where the people we knew were... I was at the pentagon that morning from 8-9am...)

Long story short... we created a new board... and now, 4 years later... none of us still play the video game that ruled our lives for so many years. But, when I was in London, Denmark, and Sweeden last year, I met up with people that I had only spoken to online for years. And the friendship was there.

The board we created is still thriving, on things like video games, computer news, current events... the community lives on... the webspace that we were at hasnt seen a post since the 1 year anniversery of us leaving, where we all decided to get banned again :p

shogun
01-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Look at this one before it will be deleted
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e32/7161692-1.html
http://www.v12extreme.com/ipost/dinan8big.jpg

copied:

Author: FrancoisP on 2005-10-27 at 03:31:05 (posted from: Host: c-67-174-220-128.hsd1.ca.comcast.net IP: 67.174.220.128)

Subject: here is more pics (85 views)

as you probably remember, i am doing one TT 750 ;)

Francois