PDA

View Full Version : OT Credit Union Scamming

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 03:03 PM
My _lut has been having problems with her Cr Union, there has been multiple fraudulent deductions, withdrawels, overdraft charged because of this. She let them know about it, cancelled her bank card, closed the account and the bank still allowed some $300.00 in fraudulent deductions (IE; passport to fun $12.95 monthly, MCI Network service (new one $33.05), USA Credit $149.95 (several times), USA Benefit $149.95, Freedom gold $149.00, ATT&T etc) PLUS a nice $22.00 service charge each time for insufficient funds...from what I added up its over $1300.00.

The Credit union did not close the account until the 2nd of this month instead of the middle of last month. This all happened within the last few months with most happening the last 2. She called and let them know and they told her that they would reverse the charges...never happened. Look some of these places up online, its like a virus.

Contacted the Federal Trade Commission who sent us to the National Trade commission, they sent her back to the credit union... this ia $1300+ not like 20 bux, it's a LOT of money to be just snatched out of anyones account!!!

She has another account with another bank, hasnt used the bad one in over a month so checks would clear and she could close the account...

What can we do next? FBI? Local news channel? Credit union dont care and none of the places admit its a scam saying she authorized this crap. There has to be something besides taking them to court...if any attorney would even take the case.

ANy help is appreciated!

Springfield1952
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I can't believe you wrote . . . My $lut.

Curt.

Dave M
12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Not from around your parts, but if the institution ain't budging, I would 'bank' on some bad publicity via local media doing the trick.
HealthNet, a U.S. insurance provider just turned a 180 and provided health care to a kid they initially denied coverage. The primarily reason: bad publicity.

Any way you slice it, its scary stuff. I keep my money under a pillow (did i just say that?)

Good luck to you and your $lut,

Dave M

granit_silber
12-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Jeff,

I can't remember what state you live in but if the online companies are in different states then the fraud case becomes the jurisdiction of the FBI. That's gonna take awhile, so I would go with bad publicity (sry I can't find the spell check) and call your local T.V. and speak with their investigative reporter.

Good Luck!
-ashley

ps. If the Credit Union didn't take action when they were first notified of the problem, then they are negligent (argh! spell check) and violated the contract you have with them. Negligence and breach of contract.... just about any lawyer would take that (if you can prove it).

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Good advise! Im game, this is totally sick man.

ps i can read through almost any drunken jibberish you throw at me...its cool man im not in english class.

Jeff,

I can't remember what state you live in but if the online companies are in different states then the fraud case becomes the jurisdiction of the FBI. That's gonna take awhile, so I would go with bad publicity (sry I can't find the spell check) and call your local T.V. and speak with their investigative reporter.

Good Luck!
-ashley

ps. If the Credit Union didn't take action when they were first notified of the problem, then they are negligent (argh! spell check) and violated the contract you have with them. Negligence and breach of contract.... just about any lawyer would take that (if you can prove it).

Jbradley
12-07-2005, 08:21 PM
She must file an affadavit of forgery with the bank and also file a police report in which she states the exact date she made the bank aware of the issue. Then tell the branch manager she holds him/her responsible for not acting when she told them about the theft. The bank should waive all overdraft fees and investigate then credit back the money to her - they have x number of day to resolve it - a credit union is a bit different than a bank but bottom line is she needs to know the name of who she talked to at the bank and make them accountable and understand that she will call everyday until they get her money back. The squeaky wheels get fees waived, otherwise no banker will care!

Best of luck!

JB

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks J,
were coming up with a plan of action here, this is beyond rediculus. cal bank, ask for CEO,not available send message FBI & fraud to get a call back.

Ill see what happens and definetly post out come.

dave b
12-07-2005, 08:49 PM
They somehow duplicated my atm card and stood at an atm in 7-11 and made 15 consecutive withdrawals until there was about $.86 left in my checking account. The procedure I had to use was:

1) File a police report for theft
2) Submit police report to bank
3) Submit a notarized affidavit saying I didn't get the money

Fortunately, I bank with American Express, and they credited my account in a few hours, before I submitted the required documents. Afterwards, they called me to verify everything, and that was the last I heard of it.

In my conversations with my bank, I have learned to

1) Never use your debit card outdoors
2) Never use your debit card at a gas station
3) Basically, only ever use your debit card at the grocery store or at the bank
4) Put a daily limit on your charges - mine had no limit before. No idea why not.
5) Never, ever, ever, ever, ever use your debit card online.

Sorry to hear about her bad luck. Nothing is more frustrating than getting robbed. I hate when the property that I have is damaged or taken by someone who didn't work for it!

Dave

wingman
12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
In OZ a $lut is a highly derogatory expression for a woman with 'loose' morals. I'm hoping that it means something completely different where you are Regal.

Springfield1952
12-07-2005, 10:34 PM
No, that pretty well covers it on this side of the Pacific also.

Curt.

In OZ a $lut is a highly derogatory expression for a woman with 'loose' morals. I'm hoping that it means something completely different where you are Regal.

632 Regal
12-08-2005, 09:43 PM
JB this is exactly how it's worked out so far, I had my $@*& call and say that she is going to file complaints with the FBI, Police, local media and television and the CEO of the bank is kissing Azz (is that a bad word too?) she says that this should have been taken care of 2 months ago when the first call was made. We will file the police report next week and see what happens.

This board is priceless on everything and I thank everyone for their help (except the NARC).

She must file an affadavit of forgery with the bank and also file a police report in which she states the exact date she made the bank aware of the issue. Then tell the branch manager she holds him/her responsible for not acting when she told them about the theft. The bank should waive all overdraft fees and investigate then credit back the money to her - they have x number of day to resolve it - a credit union is a bit different than a bank but bottom line is she needs to know the name of who she talked to at the bank and make them accountable and understand that she will call everyday until they get her money back. The squeaky wheels get fees waived, otherwise no banker will care!

Best of luck!

JB

mattyb
12-08-2005, 11:39 PM
hi jeff. Dont know much about how it works in the states but the first rule is documentation.

Precise and well presented facts need to be assembled. Records of conversations,names, times, dates, content of converstations, results.

Records of the charges and what u have done to locate and identify each offence and responsibity for the offence.

Continue to instigate communication with the credit union on each separate offence and if records were not kept previous this is agood chance to start keeping them.

As a rule Credit unions are owned by the shareholders who are there customers. Locate the charter/ constitution for the Credit union. Find out when and attend shareholder meetings and raise issue amongst the meetings.
and dont back down when being shutdown by the head table

Forward records to regulatory body. Do u have an ombudsman over there for banking?

Stand out the front of the Credit union if all else fails and hand out a flyer that gives the story warning others entering the Credit union. It would ask customers when they speak to the teller to request a copy at no charge of thier transaction history for the past however many months your girl has been fleeced, so they can check they havent been ripped as well - People react when disturbed. customers and banks! get legal advice first on the content of the flyer- maybe one side just has $1300.00 FREE!!!! on it then side 2 has- if u were a criminal u could have $1300 just by ripping off customers of a credit union that does not give a shite, just like the one you're about to walk into!

Publishing and transmitting can constitute slander so be accurate with your facts.

As for authorising the transactions- how was it authorised? verbal? written? email? proof?????????

Now beer time so i hope maybe this helps

632 Regal
12-22-2005, 11:47 AM
UPDATE!

This gets interesting...

The CEO at the bank got some numbers for these companies and it lets you get in to talk to a human. So she conference calls the first one (credit cards) and they play a recording that is in fact really of my GF...done deal she applied for them. (the recording has her saying her address, SS# DOB, bank account and routing number and telephone number)

Ok the bank lady says I dont know why you would apply to 5 different companies for this stuff but heres more numbers to call.

She calls the next one and they have on record a Texas number but GF's information, they play the recording and it was a deep southern accent lady, well that definetly wasnt her so they are sending a refund...good deal.

On to the next company, they have the same information and play the recording, exact same recording, i mean identical (My GF talking)...but this one has the Texas number on file...see a pattern here?

The last 3 companies are just plain denying that they even took money even though the statements say otherwise.

We are waiting for the State police detective and the FBI to get back with us so we can give the new information to them.

granit_silber
12-22-2005, 12:17 PM
UPDATE!

This gets interesting...

The CEO at the bank got some numbers for these companies and it lets you get in to talk to a human. So she conference calls the first one (credit cards) and they play a recording that is in fact really of my GF...done deal she applied for them. (the recording has her saying her address, SS# DOB, bank account and routing number and telephone number)

Ok the bank lady says I dont know why you would apply to 5 different companies for this stuff but heres more numbers to call.

She calls the next one and they have on record a Texas number but GF's information, they play the recording and it was a deep southern accent lady, well that definetly wasnt her so they are sending a refund...good deal.

On to the next company, they have the same information and play the recording, exact same recording, i mean identical (My GF talking)...but this one has the Texas number on file...see a pattern here?

The last 3 companies are just plain denying that they even took money even though the statements say otherwise.

We are waiting for the State police detective and the FBI to get back with us so we can give the new information to them.
Jeff,
Sounds like an employee at the first place dubbed the recording of your GF and made the other calls.

-ashley

mattyb
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
thats scary man

632 Regal
01-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Finally.... Just got word that they are reimbursing for all them BS charges, sent a check out yesterday for $1163.00! Tell me they didnt mess up! took quite a while to set enough feet on fire to actually get this done and over with.

I cant imagine how many people go through this and dont have the time and or resources to follow up thoroughly like we had to.

Thanks for the hints, help, suggestions!!!

dacoyote
01-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Finally.... Just got word that they are reimbursing for all them BS charges, sent a check out yesterday for $1163.00! Tell me they didnt mess up! took quite a while to set enough feet on fire to actually get this done and over with.

I cant imagine how many people go through this and dont have the time and or resources to follow up thoroughly like we had to.

Thanks for the hints, help, suggestions!!!

Nice... good to hear it worked out

Tiger
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Wow... this is scary... now, your GF need to change all her info so no one else has her info.

632 Regal
01-18-2006, 09:28 PM
as I can see all there was one company with her bank info for a charge or whatever and sent it to its sister companies, shared the info and hooked her up with all their programs using the same recorded information. We are still waiting for a reply from the state police, and the FBI regarding this crap.
Wow... this is scary... now, your GF need to change all her info so no one else has her info.

MBXB
01-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Glad to see it worked out, Jeff.