PDA

View Full Version : OT: Are you a college student? Where?

Gayle
12-07-2005, 08:21 AM
On another thread, Kyle mentioned he is in college and studying for finals and probably others were similarly occupied. (Although with the number of posts you made last night Kyle, doesn't look like much studying is happening).

I made me wonder which members are in college now and where.

Let's skip the alumni thing and just go for current students. So tell us, what school are you attending? How far along are you in your studies? What are you majoring in? How do you manage to keep you bmw running on a college students standard of living?

peks
12-07-2005, 08:32 AM
ok mother..
u of minnesota, junior, ME major, and i just barely keep the old beast running after i pay the school bills..

billb
12-07-2005, 08:37 AM
ok mother..
u of minnesota, junior, ME major, and i just barely keep the old beast running after i pay the school bills..

Gayle is nice enough to play along for a while, but this is getting ridiculous. Now let's play nice.

granit_silber
12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
ok mother..
Pek,

ME = Music Education Yes? If so, awesome!

-ashley

peks
12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
ME = mechanical engineering

mattyb
12-07-2005, 09:12 AM
yes. china

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 09:23 AM
college of hard knocks

DanDombrowski
12-07-2005, 09:32 AM
But! But! But!!! Oh, not fair! Just barely disqualified for this thread :(

liquidtiger720
12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Sophmore at College of San Mateo (community college) transfering to ucla/uc berkely next year. Major, business economics/finance.

I can barely keep up with my car. Take for instance right now, it needs a new tranny cooler, radiator hoses and what seems like the center bearing. Can't afford it at the moment, but will rally up the $$ soon enough. If it gets soo bad, and is threatening the cars livelyhood, my parents will usually take the load off of me. :) I love my parents. :)

Gayle
12-07-2005, 09:44 AM
But! But! But!!! Oh, not fair! Just barely disqualified for this thread :(

Dan for you we will make a special exception.

granit_silber
12-07-2005, 09:52 AM
ME = mechanical engineering
http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgmp0163.jpg

Sorry about that. To a Music major ME = Music Ed.

lol,
ashley

chefdanny121
12-07-2005, 10:10 AM
University of Massachusetts Boston for an MBA

On another thread, Kyle mentioned he is in college and studying for finals and probably others were similarly occupied. (Although with the number of posts you made last night Kyle, doesn't look like much studying is happening).

Let's skip the alumni thing and just go for current students. So tell us, what school are you attending? How far along are you in your studies? What are you majoring in? How do you manage to keep you bmw running on a college students standard of living?

Torque
12-07-2005, 10:15 AM
University of Louisville in KY for Business Management

Edit: Freshman - just getting done with the first semester.

Alan_525i
12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Law School
Temple

So not really college, but dealing with Finals and such anyway.

Sean H
12-07-2005, 10:49 AM
3rd year at Georgia State University College of Law.

misfortune
12-07-2005, 10:55 AM
I was 7, maybe 6 when my car was made, but anyway, I'm a JR of EE at University of Texas at Dallas.

bahnstormer
12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
junior at rutgers university up in the new brunswich campus
doing a double major in iti and economics

why are there so many OT threads in the main forum?

misfortune
12-07-2005, 11:11 AM
junior at rutgers university up in the new brunswich campus
doing a double major in iti and economics

why are there so many OT threads in the main forum?
You just bumped one!!

Maybe because very few people bother to read OT, and isn't it mainly for nws posts anyway?

angrypancake
12-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Junior at Columbia University, double major in history and beer olympics, specializing in beirut, 2 on 2 and 4 on 4. Also proud member and founder of flip cup all stars. As for affording the car? Well, duct tape and this board keep me afloat.

yolusola
12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
senior mechanical engineering finishing up next semester, howard university. struggling to keep it running.

'89 535i 185k miles

Jay 535i
12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Just beginning to apply for business school.

How do I afford my car? I don't. I haven't eaten in weeks.

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Oakland Community College, transfering to Kettering University, for ME, and i mean engineering, and if thats somthing yer into, i think Kettering is one of the top schools for it, so im excited. and while i did have alot of posts last night GAYLE, it because i just came off a 6 hour study spree for econ, and im about to start another for math. and i dont keep my car up, no money, so it sadly, slowly dies.

jarome
12-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Rochester Institute of Technology

Business Management. A few more months and I'm done!

Jimbo
12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
University of Kansas, Senior in Economics.

How do I afford to keep my car going? basically w/o this board, I couldn't. Thanks for all the great info everyone.

infinity5
12-07-2005, 02:07 PM
USF, MechEng, some kind of 10th year freshman from changing my major so many times :)

Soon to be at SFCC in gainesville becuase its cheaper :)

bahnstormer
12-07-2005, 02:44 PM
do u guys work?
i have 2 jobs...

DanDombrowski
12-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Awesome! Gayle rules.

I was until very recently a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Florida. Unfortunately, the school decided that I had recieved too many credits, gave me a degree, and kicked me out. Kidding, but I did graduate.

I never really had any problem maintaining my car in college, I had a job for awhile in college at circa $8.50 an hour and then my last summer I got an internship that paid pretty nice, plus I had a nice pile saved up for college. Then again, I've been pretty lucky except for tires blowing up, radiator leaking, and clutch going out.

While going back up to gainesville on the weekends with a real paycheck is great, work gets old fast.

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 03:24 PM
i have a job, school, and side jobs as a grage mechanic for the lazy

liquidtiger720
12-07-2005, 03:27 PM
USF, MechEng, some kind of 10th year freshman from changing my major so many times :)

Soon to be at SFCC in gainesville becuase its cheaper :)

lol. for a moment there, i thought you were talking about the usf here. University of San Francisco.

peks
12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
yeah 2-3 different jobs depending on the season

onewhippedpuppy
12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Junior in Aerospace Engineering at Wichita State University. I afford my car by it never setting foot in a garage, and occasional influxes of cash from my accountant wife.

Anton CH.
12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Chemical Engineer/Material Scientist over at Berkeley.

Rus
12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm a Freshman Mechanical Engineering at Tulane University, New Orleans, LA

SC David
12-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Sophomore at San Francisco State. Geography Major. I afford my car by letting my family drive it and pay for repairs while I'm at school.

Dan in NZ
12-07-2005, 08:08 PM
University of Otago, New Zealand. Just finishing up a Bachelor of Science, majoring in Pharmacology. It's been 4 long years, 3 of those with bimmer.

ArtemLepilov
12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
International Biochemistry Major - Sophomore At Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Cannot legally work in the country for longer than a year - saving it for after school :)...

-Artem

bahnstormer
12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm a Freshman Mechanical Engineering at Tulane University, New Orleans, LA

oh damn

my old ex goes there

did u get moved out during the floods? she went to texas...

bahnstormer
12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Sophomore at San Francisco State. Geography Major. I afford my car by letting my family drive it and pay for repairs while I'm at school.

ar eu gonna be a geography teacher? or whats the plan with that?

Traian
12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
I go to U of T (er, the T stands for Toronto, mmm not sure if that needed clarification...), right now in 3rd year, doing a double major: Physics and Math. Iz good stuff, it's theoretical which I like, I'm not so good at the hands on stuff.

I ride the subway for long spells when the gas / repair money dries up, but I try to take her out for a drive at least one or twice a week, usually to work. She saves me 45 min of sleep on Saturdays, and I love her for that :)

xphilter
12-07-2005, 10:02 PM
I go to University of Minnesota, i was ME but am switching to accounting.

Rus
12-07-2005, 10:09 PM
oh damn

my old ex goes there

did u get moved out during the floods? she went to texas...

We evacuated after Katrina and went to Houston. This is when I got Goldie (my 535i) as a project/weekend cruiser:D . I'm already back in NOLA, getting ready to jump back into college life. Best wishes!

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 10:27 PM
i want to mention how much i love the way the recent board reformat shows posts i havent read yet!

onewhippedpuppy
12-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I go to University of Minnesota, i was ME but am switching to accounting.

Damn, that's a switch! My wife is an accountant, she just looks at me with a glazed over look in her eyes when I tell her what I do in class.:D Or maybe I'm just that dull.

ericcamaro
12-08-2005, 01:05 PM
college student in chico california here.

infinity5
12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I had a job making like ~8/hr plus tips. That and living at home at the time gave me plenty of money to repair the car most of the time.

do u guys work?
i have 2 jobs...

SC David
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
ar eu gonna be a geography teacher? or whats the plan with that?
Something regarding surveying of land. I don't have a firm outlook, but I've always been interested in geography and I know I'll find my way with it as long as I'm passionate about it. I'm thinking of adding a minor in business just to be safe. I just changed from a Music major, so that will show you how decisive I am :)

onewhippedpuppy
12-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Go with the business minor, without a doubt. I'm an AE, but plan on getting a business minor, you don't know how many guys in the industry have told me it's a good idea. Probably get an MBA after graduating, but that's a few years away.

Jon K
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Was Drexel University freshmen year, Computer Science/Electrical Engineering

Now at Desales University, Management of Information Systems

Jon K
12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
do u guys work?
i have 2 jobs...

You work at the school library

clhorton
12-09-2005, 07:48 AM
I goto University of South Alabama and I am majoring in Pre-Med. I've had my BMW for only a few days now so well see how those maintenance costs go.

jenfly00
12-09-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm a pre-med student getting ready to transfer to UNCG. :) I'll be a junior in status. And I have a LONG road ahead of me as far as school goes. What has kept my bimmer running? I got deployed to Iraq and since I'm single and young without a morgage, etc, I got to save a lot of money. :)

Now that I'm back home I'm giving my 535 a make over. Inside and out.

>
>
>
Let's skip the alumni thing and just go for current students. So tell us, what school are you attending? How far along are you in your studies? What are you majoring in? How do you manage to keep you bmw running on a college students standard of living?[/QUOTE]

bullyd
12-09-2005, 05:23 PM
i juggle doing a night course at lowestoft college in fundementals of motor vehicle technology,(25 hrs p/w) workin a 45hr week at a motorfactors, repair/servicing cars of friends and family etc for extra cash at weekends, and support a missus and 4 kids, dont get to see the kids much but i know when my course is finished ive already got business studies under my belt so im hoping to start up a workshop and just work 8-6 5days p/w:D and have my life back!! ahh the things we do for being ambitious.:p

sKilled
03-13-2006, 04:34 AM
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Double major Psychology and European Studies (i.e. European Politics).

Will drop pants for parts :)

Nick.Hay
03-13-2006, 06:33 AM
university of tasmania-

1st year, batchelor of business

bimmerd00d
03-13-2006, 09:47 AM
University of North Texas.

bjl4776
03-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I attent Universal Technical Institute for automotive technology. Basically for being a mechinic. I got to work on my car for a grade, so all i have to do is spend money on parts, and time is free. Its cool cause i have a full time job while going to school and financial covers most stuff. I have to balance between cars. girlfriend, and beruit, but other than that its not bad at all.

GoldenOne
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
University of Florida, Computer/Electrical Engineering (dual)...1st year also

McWatters
03-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Innisdale Secondary School ,Barrie, ON (high school Final year)
i just felt left out. so i had to post

cheers

J.McWatters

rob101
03-13-2006, 04:17 PM
university of tasmania-

1st year, batchelor of business
tasmania has a university? lol
I am ex-Mechancial Engineering at the University of Queensland graduated july last year. thank god! the last 2 years of my degree were painfully frustrating. bought 2 bmws as a reward for graduating and then landing a good job.

ILoveMPower
03-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Just applied today at New England Institute of Technology for Multimedia and Webdesign.

As for the car? Let's just say I've been lucky as of yet, and that my tax return will be FULLY accounted for by her. :)

sKilled
03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
My only fear is that, because my bimmer needs a new paintjob, I might have to choose between the car and paintball for a while. So hard, so hard...

E34 530
03-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Last year of high school. Going to Wagner College in New York in the fall of 06.

Nick.Hay
03-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Yep... 3 campuses believe it or not!!!

BigTed00
03-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Junior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, on my second bimmer (paid cash for both) :D

Also thats not a dent in the hood, its moisture

E34 530
03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Junior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, on my second bimmer (paid cash for both) :D

Also thats not a dent in the hood, its moisture

Big Tedd, was that Mihai's car??

BigTed00
03-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Big Tedd, was that Mihai's car??

Indeed it is :)

I'm loving every second of it, and its getting the moldings repainted this week!