PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious about service

kevinheap
12-07-2005, 07:56 AM
I thought I had a good mechanic but would like a second opinion on an issue.

I took my 1995 525it wagon with 85k miles in for its first oil change since I bought it in April with 83K. It has been well maintained and although I usually do oil myself I thought it would not hurt to have a mechanic look at it.

The owner was gone that day and the mechanic said he had to repair or replace a bleed screw on the thermostat as it was leaking and that is why my coolant light came on. He said he could smell the antifreeze although I could not but I smoke also.

A week or so later and very few more miles it had a puddle of antifreeze on the garage so I took it back. This time the owner was there and he said it needed a new radiator. Is this a coincidence maybe? I suppose there is no way to know for sure. If I ask the owner again he will think I am calling him a liar. I suppose I should have asked for the old radiator.

mattyb
12-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Welcome. Thats a great question. How about u put a bit more about yourself in your profile. Did u pay to replace the radiator without having a look at it first yourself? I'm not of the opinion that smoking will detract you from recognising the plain bloody obvious. who was the dealer/ mechanic? where are u located? How much anti freeze had leaked? from where? How long ago was this? did u check the anti freeze level yourself? Was it over heating? Given that u do oil yourself one would think that you might be able give a more precise description of the circumstances surrounding the issue. i'm not trying to give u a hard time but it helps the guys who are really the experts to give you the most accurate answer. We've just had a thorough discussion on the good(billr and others), the bad and the ugly on mechanics so lets be sure about all of the answers before folks start beatin up on your guy.

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 08:54 AM
I would definetly want to see what the problem with the radiator is, I mean these do fail where the hoses go into them as the tanks are just plastic.

Jay 535i
12-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Sorry I don't have any advice, but this certainly does seem familliar.

Step 1: Take your car in to have X fixed.
Step 2: X is fixed. Y breaks the next day.
Step 3: Mechanic says, "you need a new Y -- not my fault, just coincidence"

If I had a dollar for every time something broke the day after the car was in the shop and the guy claimed it was just a coincidence...

My theory is that, in fixing X, they accidentally nudged or loosened a hose/wire/clamp/connection. Instead of looking for the $2 mistake and fixing it, they tell you that you need a new engine.

kevinheap
12-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Welcome. Thats a great question. How about u put a bit more about yourself in your profile. Did u pay to replace the radiator without having a look at it first yourself? I'm not of the opinion that smoking will detract you from recognising the plain bloody obvious. who was the dealer/ mechanic? where are u located? How much anti freeze had leaked? from where? How long ago was this? did u check the anti freeze level yourself? Was it over heating? Given that u do oil yourself one would think that you might be able give a more precise description of the circumstances surrounding the issue. i'm not trying to give u a hard time but it helps the guys who are really the experts to give you the most accurate answer. We've just had a thorough discussion on the good(billr and others), the bad and the ugly on mechanics so lets be sure about all of the answers before folks start beatin up on your guy.

Yes it ran 578 total and I did not look at it. I trusted the people. Mech. said he smelled anti freeze I did not. Mech was mech that worked on it for prev owner. Bought car in Apr. in great shape this is only prob. It was owned by a meticulous doctor. Did not check level but saw on floor after mech said bleed screw was prob. and it was fixed. Was overheating when sitting in park for over just 3 or 4 minutes after this leakage. Coolant light had been on for quite a while maybe a month or more. Dont use car much. Leak was about one cup in my estimate. I think it maybe impossible to tell on this one and I do apologize for expecting you guys to be mind readers or auto gods of some sort, I think without the radiator you just cant tell. Thanks for the help though.

Kalevera
12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
It's probably much colder than it was two weeks ago where you live. These plastic cooling systems fail a lot when cold snaps occur.

Unless the mechanic is an idiot, which is always a possibility, my money is on the car just needing a new cooling system piece. I say *piece* because the expansion tank on the side of the radiator can crack or leak at the seam, and they're replaceable. So, they may try to sell you a new radiator without knowing that just the tank (or the O ring at the level sender, for that matter) is bad.

best, whit