PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell my Rear Muffler is failing...

Kakaire
12-07-2005, 07:10 AM
My Indy tells me that I need a new one... I have no idea of telling if its bad or good.

Mr. BILL
12-07-2005, 07:38 AM
BMW mufflers have a history of blowing their insides out. The sound goes from a nicely tuned exhaust to sounding like a low growl. That's not a good description, but if you step on the gas and it gets loud, your muffler is shot.

Hope that helps.

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 08:59 AM
straight pipe it!

rreimund
12-07-2005, 09:15 AM
When I read the subject line, I said to myself:
"Self, how DO you tell your rear muffler that it's failing"

Answer: "You let it down easy.. pull it aside and explain to it what a bad job it's doing, and how it's really just failing to muffle"

lol :)

Sorry to say I don't have anything more productive to contribute. I do have a question though.. did your Indy quote you a cost to replace, and how much of the piping is he replacing?

I've got a mongo exhaust leak somewhere towards the front of the system, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to just replace the whole thing from the manifold back, and if so, would it be more cost effective to go OEM or aftermarket (understanding that aftermarket isn't going to net me any gains, so it's just a matter of which is cheapest)

Guapo
12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Well, when I had my exhaust down to replace my driveshaft CSB, I shook the muffler section and there was a bunch of crap rattling around inside.

I'm going to go ahead and assume its shot. :)

timeout
12-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I shook the muffler section and there was a bunch of crap rattling around inside.

same as mine, and not noticeable while driving.

Kakaire
12-08-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks so much guys for the response, Mr. Bill's explanation is exactly what I am getting. Well my Indy got it opened up and all inards are gone. Regal what do you mean "straight pipe it"?

BigKriss
12-08-2005, 02:41 AM
dude, I'd replace the muffler if it falls off.

"Well my Indy got it opened up and all inards are gone".

I'd like to see a pic, can you get one for us?

Regal what do you mean "straight pipe it"?

Mr Regal is saying to forget putting a new muffler there. Replace it with some straight pipe for the best exhaust flow possible. Sure it will be "slightly" louder, but it will be cheaper :)

Jon K
12-08-2005, 07:57 AM
dude, I'd replace the muffler if it falls off.

"Well my Indy got it opened up and all inards are gone".

I'd like to see a pic, can you get one for us?

Regal what do you mean "straight pipe it"?

Mr Regal is saying to forget putting a new muffler there. Replace it with some straight pipe for the best exhaust flow possible. Sure it will be "slightly" louder, but it will be cheaper :)

Let me tell you something.

I straigth piped my car from the cats back and had the exhaust end in front of the rear wheel and out the side a little bit. DONT EVER DO THIS. It is probably the loudest freaking thing I have ever heard in my life.

Guapo
12-08-2005, 09:12 AM

I straigth piped my car from the cats back and had the exhaust end in front of the rear wheel and out the side a little bit. DONT EVER DO THIS. It is probably the loudest freaking thing I have ever heard in my life.

Sound advice.

darkbeer
12-08-2005, 11:21 AM
BMW mufflers have a history of blowing their insides out. The sound goes from a nicely tuned exhaust to sounding like a low growl. That's not a good description, but if you step on the gas and it gets loud, your muffler is shot.

Hope that helps.

i think this may be the case with mine. i have that "low growl" sound. i thought this was how its supposed to sound having owned the car only for 2 years. this became more apparent to me when a similar (92 525) car drove by me and it was so much quieter. speaking of muffler, what would be a good and reasonably priced replacement?

BigKriss
12-08-2005, 03:05 PM

I'm assuming you had the cats, and just pipe with no muffler at all Jon. The stock exhasut is very quiet as it is. The muffler after the cat is quite large. I've driven the car with no exhuast from the cat back, I know thats it's so loud, it's stupid. However just the rear muffler removed with some new piping, that won't be that loud will it?

http://img98.echo.cx/img98/3014/pict0009small0ed.jpg

Alexlind123
12-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm assuming you had the cats, and just pipe with no muffler at all Jon. The stock exhasut is very quiet as it is. The muffler after the cat is quite large. I've driven the car with no exhuast from the cat back, I know thats it's so loud, it's stupid. However just the rear muffler removed with some new piping, that won't be that loud will it?

http://img98.echo.cx/img98/3014/pict0009small0ed.jpg

With just the cats and resonator and no muffler, it will still be stupidly loud. My brother installed dual 18'' glasspacks on his e28 535im and it was still stupidly loud.
When my muffler goes out i will be looking at magnaflows or dual in/ dual out flowmasters.