PDA

View Full Version : e30 issues

moots
12-07-2005, 12:23 AM
since traffic is more here compared to the 3 series site,maybe someone can help me with this::D

my steering rack leaks at the input shaft.it bothers me to have to put a drip pan on the garage floor.the output shaft(tie rod side) on both ends are ok with nil leaks.

i want to attempt this DIY as i also,at the same time,need to remove the oil sump to have the oil drain hole re-threaded due to stripped thread(no thanks to the mechanic who did the last oil change!! ).having the sump removed will make it much easier to remove the steering rack.

if someone has experience on repairing a leaky steering rack or have a blow up pic of the affected seals that requires replacement at the input shaft side,i would be much thankful.

ps. sorry,it's an '86 320i with aluminium rack

cheers

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 12:26 AM
sorry i cant be of help, but i do have 2 tokicko gas adjustable rear struts, and one fornt for sale if interested, (shamless plug) (for an e30)

thanks

kyle

Bill R.
12-07-2005, 12:57 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/320irack.jpg

since traffic is more here compared to the 3 series site,maybe someone can help me with this::D

my steering rack leaks at the input shaft.it bothers me to have to put a drip pan on the garage floor.the output shaft(tie rod side) on both ends are ok with nil leaks.

i want to attempt this DIY as i also,at the same time,need to remove the oil sump to have the oil drain hole re-threaded due to stripped thread(no thanks to the mechanic who did the last oil change!! ).having the sump removed will make it much easier to remove the steering rack.

if someone has experience on repairing a leaky steering rack or have a blow up pic of the affected seals that requires replacement at the input shaft side,i would be much thankful.

ps. sorry,it's an '86 320i with aluminium rack

cheers

moots
12-07-2005, 02:08 AM
bill r....you're the greatest.thank you very much