PDA

View Full Version : Transmission flush - Help 632Regal!!

E34 530
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
I have a quick question. I finally found a BMW mechanic close me to me that ONLY works on BMW"s. He races them and is a very nice guy to get to know. I am having him fix my water pump tommorow since I simply can't get into that tight of a space. Since my parents are going to help me out with the bill as a Christmas present, I inquired for a transmission flush and filter change. (why not fix stuff while on a freebie lol???) He told me that for my car (1994 BMW 530i automatic) the fluid is about 300 dollars a quart since the fluid is ONLY available from BMW and made by Shell or something. (At least he thinks its my transmission. He named a few specific transmission models that required this expensive fluid, but wasn't 100% sure because some of the 530's just used regular fluid.) What fluid have you guys used for transmission flushes in your 530?? I know he is not lying and trying to extract money from me because I have become friends with him and he only selects his customers if he likes them. He is very secretive and does not accept any customer off the streets. I just would like to know what fluid and filter you guys use so I dont have to pay 600 dollars for a transmission flush. Thanks guys.

winfred
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
last i herd it was about $100 a gallon from the dealer

E34 530
12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
last i herd it was about $100 a gallon from the dealer

That may be right, it was a ridiculous price though. Would Royal Purple work???

MBXB
12-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Bentley shows the 530's tranny as a Dex II spec. not the Shell LA 2634, which is for the 540 tranny.

632 Regal
12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
yep you get off easy, DexII. if that mechanic only works on BMW's and made a mistake this drastic either to rip you off or he isn't knowledgeable...id pass and fine someone else!

E34 530
12-06-2005, 11:17 PM
yep you get off easy, DexII. if that mechanic only works on BMW's and made a mistake this drastic either to rip you off or he isn't knowledgeable...id pass and fine someone else!

Thank God lol. He really wasn't 100% sure about the situation, he also took down my vin to see if I only needed the regular fluid. He didn't say that he knows for a fact that I need the expensive fluid. He really only works on M cars and mainly e30 M3's so I'm not condemning him yet, lol. Anyone here use Royal Purple, I heard it was pretty good.

E34 530
12-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Bentley shows the 530's tranny as a Dex II spec. not the Shell LA 2634, which is for the 540 tranny.

Thanks for taking the time to research my question. I really appreciate the help as my Bentley manual got erased.

Bill R.
12-06-2005, 11:22 PM
he doesn't know better..http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/zftransfluid-1.jpg

Thank God lol. He really wasn't 100% sure about the situation, he also took down my vin to see if I only needed the regular fluid. He didn't say that he knows for a fact that I need the expensive fluid. He really only works on M cars and mainly e30 M3's so I'm not condemning him yet, lol. Anyone here use Royal Purple, I heard it was pretty good.

Kalevera
12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
We use RP max gear and synchromax on high performance diffs and manual trannies these days, and I really like the junk.

Switched from Redline, for various reasons that can be uncovered with a bit of reading on the UUC Digest. I have no experience with their ATF product (ATF is ATF), but I think Jeff happily runs it.

best, whit

Springfield1952
12-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Bill, am I reading this chart correctly? It looks like the transmisson for the e34 530i/iT is a ZF 5HP 18 (A5S 310Z) which uses the Dexron fluid and the transmission for the e36 M3 is the same but uses the ESSO ATF fluid. If the transmission is the same, why do they use different fluids? Or am I reading the chart wrong?

Curt.