PDA

View Full Version : OT: lack of posts

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 08:33 PM
im going to assume every college kid is in my boat, and is cramning for finals, you old people got me fooled as to why yer not poasting, that time of the year to get new hair pieces and dentures? maybe.

C YA

kyle

SharkmanBMW
12-06-2005, 08:40 PM
wow.
I can't believe you said that.

dacoyote
12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
I had a reply... but mom wouldn't approve of what I was going to say....

McWatters
12-06-2005, 08:46 PM
haha them fightin words, with great comical value

cheers

J.McWatters

dacoyote
12-06-2005, 08:54 PM
haha them fightin words, with great comical value

cheers

J.McWatters

LOL... wonder how many posts I can get on this thread.

Scott H
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
I understand you are trying to make a joke from some angle, but......

Lots of new/young members on here are acting like idiots and driving away all the knowledge....not surprising at all.

If I asked one of my uncles or grandparents for help in the same manners some of these post are made in, they would tell me to go scratch and I wouldn't be any better off for it. It is no surprise that the older people are turned off to the idea of spending hours on a computer helping people who can't seem to respect the help they are getting.....on any level.

I understand the informality and impersonality of the internet create a forum for this to happen more often than usual, but the amount of **** cropping up has been a little on the heavy side for a while. As long as that trend continues, don't expect the knowledge base to show its face.

wow.
I can't believe you said that.

SharkmanBMW
12-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Lots of new/young members on here are acting like idiots and driving away all the knowledge....not surprising at all.

If I asked one of my uncles or grandparents for help in the same manners some of these post are made in, they would tell me to go scratch and I wouldn't be any better off for it. It is no surprise that the older people are turned off to the idea of spending hours on a computer helping people who can't seem to respect the help they are getting.....on any level.

I understand the informality and impersonality of the internet create a forum for this to happen more often than usual, but the amount of **** cropping up has been a little on the heavy side for a while. As long as that trend continues, don't expect the knowledge base to show its face.

beautifully worded.

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
haha, simpply a joke, ment no harm or disrespect here jsut having a little fun, and while i am young, im not a new poster, i am only a few post behind you,

once again, it was just a joke

Scott H
12-06-2005, 10:19 PM
post count has absolutely NOTHING to do with ANYTHING......PERIOD

haha, simpply a joke, ment no harm or disrespect here jsut having a little fun, and while i am young, im not a new poster, i am only a few post behind you,

once again, it was just a joke

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
actully the first part is a real question, are alot of college student taking time off to study?

Gayle
12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Well I just came from BCBG Maximara. Had to have the killer party dress. And I think I will have to go back tomorrow to get the purse covered with feathers and the strappy shoes. It doesn't cost as much if you don't buy it all at once right? Then I will have to fit in the mystic tan, the nails, the hair magic, and some beauty sleep, so don't expect to hear much from me.:)

What little extra time I have will be spent putting a wreath on the front of my car and putting up 3 Christmas trees. Hmm, when to do the shopping. That's a problem. But Kyle, thanks for the tips. I will look for dentures and hair pieces for those on my shopping list now that I understand how meaningful those items are for the out of college set. Oh and it can be so annoying to have to work, but do have to fit that in until I find that dream job with pay and no work.

And then I have to keep Charles in line. That is a full time job you know.

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
sheesus, take it easy, yer just saying im a new stupid memeber, im just saying im not, and this posthas a serious side, and a joke at the end, so if you, or ANYONE was offended by me jokingly commenting that "older members" wear hair pieces and such, im sorry, hope this clears things up.

c ya

kyle

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 10:36 PM
haha, with all the studying i have been doing i actully forgot about the holiday season, hey now, i have a job also, work every morning 7 to 12, then go to class, then come home, study/do homework, and then right before i go to be, log onto bimmer and rile people up, ahaha

bussy season, best to all

drive safe roads in some areas get bad this time of year

c ya

kyle

winfred
12-06-2005, 11:00 PM
i am 27 for another week and hair/teeth are inplace and working fine
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/hairteeth.JPG
i've been a little ocupied with the turbo diesel board i am on, it's huge at 26k+ members and 1.2 mil+ posts but i still check in here and if something looks unanswered or i have amusing ********...

you old people got me fooled as to why yer not poasting, that time of the year to get new hair pieces and dentures? maybe.

C YA

kyle

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
you got the dodge right, those things are awsome, dodge makes one now that comes with 600ft/lbs, but i hear with a chip those make ungodly trq

winfred
12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
actually the older motors have more potential, theres hundreds of guys running the 98 and older 12 valve motor like mine at over 1000 foot pounds of torque in their daily driver and all have dyno graphs to show it, one popular guy just posted 830 hp on diesel alone 870 hp 1423ft torque spraying water/methanol to cool it, no propane or nos yet just twin turbos (70-80psi) and a **** load of fuel

you got the dodge right, those things are awsome, dodge makes one now that comes with 600ft/lbs, but i hear with a chip those make ungodly trq

Gayle
12-06-2005, 11:25 PM
sheesus, take it easy, yer just saying im a new stupid memeber, im just saying im not, and this posthas a serious side, and a joke at the end, so if you, or ANYONE was offended by me jokingly commenting that "older members" wear hair pieces and such, im sorry, hope this clears things up.

c ya

kyle

Hey Kyle, I wasn't offended. If you are going to dish it, you have to be able to take it, right? I always think everyone here should lighten up, including myself.

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 11:26 PM
damnit, thats alot of power, why the older motors though?

Gayle
12-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I had a reply... but mom wouldn't approve of what I was going to say....

And Charles, you can't use me as an excuse. You know I love trash talk.

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
wait, is there really a mother son team in here? i thought it was a joke when i saw stuff in threads, if so thats AWSOME

liquidtiger720
12-06-2005, 11:44 PM
wait, is there really a mother son team in here? i thought it was a joke when i saw stuff in threads, if so thats AWSOME

Gayle is like the mother of this forum, DUH.

And yes...im putting a lot of hours into studying for finals. EEEK. tell me again, why am I taking calculus for business?

I also want to let everybody know that I appreciate all the knowledge I have gained from this forum. I hope that you "old-timers" don't leave because of people like me. You guys have saved me a bunch of headaches already. Again. Thank you!

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
what college ya at? and yes, i did forget to mention the emense help the people young and "old" (in a relitive sence as older than 19) have given to all of us on the board. college kicks yer ass ehh liquid!

c ya

kyle

winfred
12-07-2005, 12:04 AM
more fuel and cheep, on a diesel that's all there is, the 94-98 12 valve motors are the most popular with the 98-02 24 valve next, the cool thing about the 24 valves is you can not only up power considerably with a chip but in some cases you can stack chips and get even more. my motor is mechanical and easy to screw with, you have a cam plate in the pump, governer springs, turbo and injectors, with just a $200 cam plate (if i didn't want to cut my own for free) i can go from 215/440 to 330/750 (stock clutch smokes at this level $800 clutch cures this with gusto) and theres many power levels in between, the 280/680 plate won't nuke the stock clutch. the stock turbo is good for around 350hp before it's off it's map and blowing hot air (35-40psi) at which point it's time to o-ring the head add a bigger hair dryer and look for more fuel, black smoke on a diesel is potential hp if you can get more air in to burn it, too much fuel and not enough air with a good load and your exhaust gas temp gets too high and you may cook something so you need more turbo to cool it down. i am not sure where i am at the moment with the marine injectors i installed but they gave it a nice kick in the ass

damnit, thats alot of power, why the older motors though?

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 12:05 AM
thank you gayle, youv always been helpful, and i think i gave it as a joke, but ill take all the critisism, its mine to take, but your right, people need to lighten up. i guess there mad it wasent in the joke thread, stupid new members:)

merry christmas

sorry to offend,

kyle

winfred
12-07-2005, 12:10 AM
i forget to mention he got off the dyno and drove the 200 miles back home and got 19 mpg!!! try that with a gas motor

one popular guy just posted 830 hp on diesel alone 870 hp 1423ft torque spraying water/methanol to cool it, no propane or nos yet just twin turbos (70-80psi) and a **** load of fuel

Zeuk in Oz
12-07-2005, 12:13 AM
im going to assume every college kid is in my boat, and is cramning for finals, you old people got me fooled as to why yer not poasting, that time of the year to get new hair pieces and dentures? maybe.

C YA

kyle

Don't fret about the dentures, sonny, its the root canals that kill you ! :p
Now where did I put my Prozac and warm milk ?

Kalevera
12-07-2005, 12:17 AM

Read (a few times over) what this man just wrote.

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 12:36 AM
some people took this the way i ment it, and some not so good. god i hope people arnt so offended by this that they consider stoping helpping people. i did call it as a OT, personally if this bothers you to that point you need to lighten up a bit, and take a joke for what it is. and again, if offended, yell and rant at me, and help the rest.

merry christmas

kyle

Gayle
12-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Read (a few times over) what this man just wrote.

Oh Whit--You know you are my role model for showing respect but I love this place just because it is a respite from all the oppressive political correctness that threatens to gag me on a daily basis. And I don't think Kyle was asking for help--it was an obvious joke. I personally think our country has taken a turn for the worst that being easily offended has become a virtue.

And Scott H, I don't have any problem with you or what you said, but I do find it a Little disingenuous that you are lecturing Kyle on manners when you ripped into Incantation and it got so bad that Bimmer Ed shut the thread.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16472down.

Call me the conscience of the forum if you want, call me an opinionated pontificator, call me anything, but not mom. A few weeks ago someone was kidding me about acting like the forum sex goddess and I got all embarrassed and tried to clean up my act but mom or mum for the aussies is really not what I had in mind. Guys, don't make it hard on me by trying to put me into some stereo typical female role. I am just a girl who loves my e34, loves social commentary, and loves banter. I propose tolerance as the virture of the season.

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 12:54 AM
gayle, i formaly thank you for the support, even though i realize its the cause not the person, haha. and scott, you seem to try n kick my ass over everything i say, i cant imagin i did somthing to you, or knocked yer pics or somthin did i? im trying to figure out the issure here.

best

kyle

P.S. gayle, you used some words i dont know there.

Gayle
12-07-2005, 01:00 AM
P.S. gayle, you used some words i dont know there.

Kyle,

I have learned it is best not to take anything personally here.

And may I recommmed: dictionary.com It is always only a key stroke away. The ideal reference for those hard to spell words or for those times when a word pops into your head that you think is the perfect word but are not really confident it means what you think it means. As a college student, it should be your friend.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

kyleN20
12-07-2005, 01:03 AM
duely (spelling??? hahaha) noted, and my computer, a apple i book g4 has dictionary function, i just deemed it ""to late" to use

Zeuk in Oz
12-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Call me the conscience of the forum if you want, call me an opinionated pontificator, call me anything, but not mom.

Don't worry Gayle, we won't put that much pressure on you ! Well said, however.

You having been born the lesser (or is that fewer on this forum ?:p ) sex is punishment enough and you should not be condemned further.

As an old fart, I feel that I can also address Whit's concerns by saying that one of the great things about this forum is that, in the main, it is not ageist.

We all have an actual (or mental in the case of my ugly mug) picture of members of this forum and converse with them, to a large extent, as equals.

This would probably not happen if we were all standing in a room together, as our social skills would probably cause us to from groups according to where we felt comfortable.

Thus this occasional dischord is to be expected and, at least in my case, is treated with a good dose of tolerance (rare for me).

It must also be understood that we are a truly international forum and so sometimes a subtlety will be missed when a "lingua franca" is being used or an expression will have a slightly different meaning in one part of the world compared to another. In my case English is not my native tongue so I am prone to up my words mixing. Anyone is free to poke as much fun at me as they like.

Usually this just gives us a chance to have some fun, and should not be taken seriously.

I agree wholeheartedly with Gayle that the tone and community feel to this forum sets it apart from most and should be nurtured and allowed to grow.

The more regular posters the better. :D

SC David
12-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I had two finals last week. I had one earlier today, and I'm cramming for a "test" in my psych class that's tomorrow morning. Then next week I have the final for psych. Not to mention a bunch of final projects. Bleh. But it's almost over, and then I have 6.5 weeks off for Xmas, New Years, and a trip to Hawaii. Can't wait!

Jon K
12-07-2005, 01:29 AM
We just got done doing a big turbo on my friends 3500. He's running 55psi or so. Ran a 14.0 at ATCO last saturday.

I still think real motors have spark though :)

angrypancake
12-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Don't worry Gayle, we won't put that much pressure on you ! Well said, however.

You having been born the lesser (or is that fewer on this forum ?:p ) sex is punishment enough and you should not be condemned further.

As an old fart, I feel that I can also address Whit's concerns by saying that one of the great things about this forum is that, in the main, it is not ageist.

We all have an actual (or mental in the case of my ugly mug) picture of members of this forum and converse with them, to a large extent, as equals.

This would probably not happen if we were all standing in a room together, as our social skills would probably cause us to from groups according to where we felt comfortable.

Thus this occasional dischord is to be expected and, at least in my case, is treated with a good dose of tolerance (rare for me).

It must also be understood that we are a truly international forum and so sometimes a subtlety will be missed when a "lingua franca" is being used or an expression will have a slightly different meaning in one part of the world compared to another. In my case English is not my native tongue so I am prone to up my words mixing. Anyone is free to poke as much fun at me as they like.

Usually this just gives us a chance to have some fun, and should not be taken seriously.

I agree wholeheartedly with Gayle that the tone and community feel to this forum sets it apart from most and should be nurtured and allowed to grow.

The more regular posters the better. :D

I would just get drunk and make a fool of myself. On a serious note, it's nice to have a balance, for you older members can talk some sense into us younger folk. You have the experience that we lack, and some pretend to have. Though English is not your native tongue, it has been noted that those who have it as a second language are more apt to speak it better than we who can only speak it, and speak it poorly. With that being said, you have very eloquently summed up the interpersonal exchanges that occur on this forum. Cheers.

dacoyote
12-07-2005, 07:52 AM

It's a joke... (Praise Jesus).... notice how I still don't have a picture posted?

Gayle
12-07-2005, 07:59 AM
It's a joke... (Praise Jesus).... notice how I still don't have a picture posted?

As a matter of fact, yes I have noticed. :) I also noticed that you are the one who started this mother thing first, maybe a month or so ago. Your bad.

winfred
12-07-2005, 08:02 AM
yea it's amazing what a 7-8000# truck can do, and still get mileage

We just got done doing a big turbo on my friends 3500. He's running 55psi or so. Ran a 14.0 at ATCO last saturday.

I still think real motors have spark though :)

Gayle
12-07-2005, 08:15 AM

In my case English is not my native tongue so I am prone to up my words mixing. Anyone is free to poke as much fun at me as they like.

I had to read this 3 times before I got it. My brain kept trying to convert ageist to angst. I absolutely love the age range on this board and how we are all friends. When people ask me what I do for a hobby, I say I hang out on a bimmer board with about 150 guys (my estimate of the active members) and that you guys are all my friends. (Usually a short conversation, cause people don't know what to say next.) I appreciate being accepted as one of the guys. I had never thought about acceptance that ignores age.

I think Whit's concern is that we are all too rude. I have never picked up that Whit is concerned about ageism or lack of respect for elders--it is more general lack of respect. I see the lack of respect in posts too, but I also see it getting challenged when it crosses the line. I think the lack of respect is usually not from the regulars either--it is usually newbies who haven't been inculturated yet.

And Bo--what is your native language?

Scott H
12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
I am not lecturing Kyle directly AT ALL.....he just happened to make a post that was a perfect spot to write some sentiments that a lot of other members feel but do not wish to write.....I even acknowledge in my initial reply that I know kyle was trying to make a joke!!!! NOWHERE in my response to I make any direct association to kyle.

Please don't make my comments anything they aren't. I ripped in to incantation for similar reasons as to why I decided to write a reply in this thread as well. OT is no big deal at all, but when there are 5-10 OT thread headings on the main page, the board becomes a mess and the purpose of the board gets pushed to page 2 and no one gets their help.

We are the premier resource for E34/E32 related issues and that strength has been getting diluted lately. We all joke and laugh at the misguided appearance of the E34 forums at bimmer.org and bimmerforums.com but this place could turn in to that right before our eyes if we stop making a conscious effort here at bimmer.info.

I am 28 years old, and if you knew me in person, I'm a LOT more crass and I joke a LOT more than my latest diatribes here may lead one to believe. I write these things because this resource and people like Bill R, George Mann, JR, Winfred, Quentin, Drew, Gordon, Micah, etc etc etc helped me 5 years ago when I started getting in to these cars and I'd like to return the favor by helping the newcomers......but they aren't going to get it if they come in and **** all over the place.

And Scott H, I don't have any problem with you or what you said, but I do find it a Little disingenuous that you are lecturing Kyle on manners when you ripped into Incantation and it got so bad that Bimmer Ed shut the thread.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16472down.

Gayle
12-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Scott H. I respect your opinion and your right to it, but I find your tone to sound angry and off putting.

Also there was a lot of discussion last summer about the relative mix of technical threads and OT threads. A very large number of old timers chimed in and said that they love the character and community of this board. They said it would be boring if it was nothing but what's the best spark plug, shock, rotor, etc. It is that knowing each other personally that makes this a community, not just an "ask jeeves" for e34s.

And given the number of posts by newbies recently singing the praises of this board, I beleive that people feel they are getting the help they need.

I do know that there are those who feel as you do--more technical--less bs. Sometimes there are times when there are too many threads going and people with serious problems end up with their threads being prematurely pushed to the second page. Usually someone will bump them when that happens though. But this seems like a slow time and I personally enjoy getting to know other members better. (I will probably be contemplating Bill R's taste in music for days.)

Thank you for raising the issue of politeness here. It is always good to be reminded to be polite.

Brandon J
12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
My 26yr old butt started with the e34 crowd almost 6yrs ago. I just got my second pairs of dentures. Post count, ha...means nothing.

If you do want to share knowledge and experience over these lovely bimmers, then please do so. We just hate those that talk a lot of talk about how their car is this or that wihtout spreading the knowledge. Pass it forward...damn cliche. Thats all we ask. After yrs and yrs of answering the same old questions, us veterans begin to weed out what can be searched in the archives, found on Bruno's site, or found in the Bentley manual. There are great resources out there. We welcome all the newer members, just remember that our unwritten rules call for advancing our extensive knowledge of these fine beasts and making the community better overall. Do that and all is well. Please do contribute as many of us do in posts, holding e34 gatherings, hosting sites, hosting messageboards, giving parts away, sharing CDs, etc. etc.

Well, thats all. Have to go to work so that I can make money to hold next years e34 annual meet.

Scott H
12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
You haven't heard me speak. It sounds like you are imagining my tone to be this way. Maybe if I use a few smilies and some LOLs I could change your opinion?

I'm actually laughing while I type this stuff because I know it ruffles feathers.

Scott H. I respect your opinion and your right to it, but I find your tone to sound angry and off putting.

Gayle
12-07-2005, 09:41 AM
You haven't heard me speak. It sounds like you are imagining my tone to be this way. Maybe if I use a few smilies and some LOLs I could change your opinion?

I'm actually laughing while I type this stuff because I know it ruffles feathers.

Glad you owned up cause it really does sound like you just want to pick a fight. May I suggest a girlfriend?

Scott H
12-07-2005, 09:53 AM
but my wife might get pissed.....but this just proves how little you know someone when your relationship is over the internet.

Glad you owned up cause it really does sound like you just want to pick a fight. May I suggest a girlfriend?

Gayle
12-07-2005, 10:48 AM
but my wife might get pissed.....but this just proves how little you know someone when your relationship is over the internet.

Well, this opportunity to get to know you better has truly been a delight. Thanks for sharing.

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
my tone is worse in person I guess...

lol
Well, this opportunity to get to know you better has truly been a delight. Thanks for sharing.

Torque
12-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, I read this whole thread ...

I really like the way this board is; I love the mix of off-topic and technical threads as well as a very diverse member base.

Even though some people may not 'fully appreciate the help they are getting', I don't think that's causing a loss of quality. And what exactly is wrong with people joking around and discussing things other than e34s? I don't think I'd ever visit unless I needed help if it wasn't for the many light hearted discussions/threads we have here, such as the TADGAR one, the pic threads, the joke threads etc etc.

Anyway, I don't think I really know where I was going with that ...

dacoyote
12-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah... I am bad... the good thing is work is busy so I haven't had a lot of time to be a bother...

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
did you install that Tadgar you ordered yet?
Well, I read this whole thread ...

I really like the way this board is; I love the mix of off-topic and technical threads as well as a very diverse member base.

Even though some people may not 'fully appreciate the help they are getting', I don't think that's causing a loss of quality. And what exactly is wrong with people joking around and discussing things other than e34s? I don't think I'd ever visit unless I needed help if it wasn't for the many light hearted discussions/threads we have here, such as the TADGAR one, the pic threads, the joke threads etc etc.

Anyway, I don't think I really know where I was going with that ...

Torque
12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Yes, I put it around my penis. Now my sperm gets ionized and flows like a champ.

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 11:30 AM
LMFAO!!! First time I read that I thought it said flows like a chimp...me bad.
Yes, I put it around my penis. Now my sperm gets ionized and flows like a champ.

angrypancake
12-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Damn I had to re-read it too, I thought it said "flows like a chump," to which I was responding, well tadgars are for chumps...?

zygoteer
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
... got me fooled as to why yer not poasting ...

I'd much rather be toasting my bread - each to his own I guess