PDA

View Full Version : Anybody get oil on top of their M60 engine?

Messerschmitt
03-08-2004, 09:40 PM
I have done everything that I can think of and I still get oil on the valley pan on my 530i. I've replaced the valve cover gaskets, valley pan gaskets, upper timing chain cover gaskets, every oring and seal on the intake and all connecting pipes, and still oil gets in the valley and drips out of the bell housing. I don't know what else to do. Maybe it's the head gasket? It doesn't look like it but I can't see anywhere else that It could come from.

Any ideas?

NoSpeedLimits
03-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Yah, mine's got a leak too. Oh man...I hope I don't go through the same BS. For some unknown reason, my leak is worse on the right (passenger) side.... Anyway, I am planning to replace the valve cover gaskets and bolt seals this weekend. I really hope it solve the problem cause I am getting sick of cleaning the oil around the spark plugs (Q-tips and pliers are not my idea of doing PM). I'll let you know if she still leaks after I put a few miles on her.

BTW- since it sounds like you've got some experience with the procedure, do you got any tips for a first timer?

Messerschmitt
03-09-2004, 07:03 PM
These are relatively easy to do. Be sure to have new gaskets on hand, as well as some high temp silicone sealer. Just a dab in each corner, you'll see the original white stuff.

If you haven't ordered them, you might want to replace the round bolt seals too. I found that mine were hard and dry. They are available at BMA and were cheap.

You might want to order upper timing chain cover gaskets too. They are really cheap ($8-10) and you will eventually need them if they haven't already been replaced. They are easier to put in if you already have the valve covers off. Word of advice on these: Passenger side is easy. Drivers side is an incredible PITA! Alternator needs to come off!!

There are tons of other gaskets and orings that you will eventually need to replace. If I had it to do over I would have ordered a complete enging gasket set (minus head gaskets) the first time I worked on it. I'd have saved enough in shipping to pay for half of the gaskets.

Let me know if you need more info...

Messerschmitt

Super90
03-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Really, it probably is valve cover gaskets. I had a similar problem but not as drastic as you describe. I have replaced my valve cover gaskets three times. It is one of the curses of the V-8's, M60 or M62. Dad's 740i has the same problem.

My indy's latest method is to have the covers milled to be sure that are flat because they tend to warp. Then, when intalling the new gaskets they are using Permatex Anerobic Gasket Sealant.

I just replace the port side gasket the other day and used that goop on it. They call it the "grape jelly" as that is exactly what it looks like. I put a nice then bead in the groove where the gasket fits in the valve cover and a nice then a thin bead around the bottom of the gasket where it fits on the top of the head. Gotta be careful when you set the cover down. Be sure to torque everything to 10Nm. Don't skip that step! Then clean the excess sealant off.

We'll see how long that holds!!

tim s
03-09-2004, 10:34 PM
my good friend the mechanic helped me through changing both my valve cover seals. they were leaking a small amount around the plugs. if your boots (short plugs cable) have oil on them you should replace them to avoid any future problems. compressed air & a rag makes it easy to remove oil from around the plugs. when i changed the covers i discovered that some moron stripped the threads in two of the cam caps. if you need to remove your caps be sure to install them the same place & direction they were removed. my mechanic installed heli coils & that seemed to work. getting the torque right is very important. removing the air box on the passenger side made it much easier to remove & replace the valve cover. just be carefull, aluminum threads tend to strip easily.

Remember to have Fun.
i found working on my car to be relaxing compared to my normal job.

tim s.
1995 540i/a
1987 325e

Super90
03-10-2004, 06:40 PM
10Nm is the torque rating for those "bolts". That isn't much at all. It's about 85 INCH pounds, or 7 ftlbs. You need an "inch-pounds" torque wrench to do them.

That other tech was an idiot.

I seem to remember my favorite tech telling me pretty much all 10mm bolts on the car have 10Nm torque rating. Am I remembering that right?!