PDA

View Full Version : A few maintinence issues! :-D

CharlesAFerg
12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Hello again!
I have a few little things I would like to ask all of you extremely reliable, helpful e34 experts.

First of all, how do you get the front left turn signal out, and how do you change the bulb? (What type of bulb?)

Second, on the dash, there is the switch to turn on the lights, and the left switch light does not function. Although it does turn on the lights fully, so I assume it is just the little light inside the switch that is burned out, or a loose connection because only ONE time when i flicked it it turned on but every time since then it has failed to turn on.

Third, when I turn my car on usually when its cold it does this to a more noticable degree, it seems to almost stall, like it starts to rev and almost die...rev and almost die..for about a minute or two. The interior lights seem to dim and brighten when this happens, and it happens when I turn on the header, or the lights or the radio, thats when its the msot noticable. I was told this is probably my alternator belt, but also might be attributed to a cold start something-or-other. (not sure what it was now)

Fourth, randomly sometimes after I start and pull out of a parking spot or a driveway, I press on the gas and it makes this horrendous belt sqeaking noise when I press the car, it only stays for about a minute of driving, but its so loud and extremely embarrasing lol. Oh, and it seems to happen when I'm turning the wheel a bit, and when I'm going forwards only, not reverse so far.

Lastly, are there any other belts that could be squeaky, or are commonly sqeaky with age, I would very much like to fix those.
Are most of these problems attributed to belts?
Where can I find some good belts for decent price?
If there are parts I need could you lead me in the right direction so I can find some good deals, the BMW dealership near me (Kuni in Beaverton, OR) kills with their prices, as expected.

Oh, and as a sidenote, what wheels and tires do you guys recommend for a 525i e34 w that metallic silver paint? Anyone got any later model 5 series wheels, or any wheels they pulled off and have laying around, Anything but the 20-25 spoke ones, I have those on now but their worn out. I might be interested, post pics!

Thank you guys again so much, you are all lifesavers.
-Charles

CharlesAFerg
12-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh, well my battery seems to be dead and I didn't leave anything on, so I'm leaning towards the fact that I might need to fix my alternator..

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 06:04 PM
i have many of the same questions, try the archive

CharlesAFerg
12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
ah good call

angrypancake
12-06-2005, 06:50 PM
For the left from turn signal... you don't need to take it out to change the bulb, if you have a bentley check it out. It's held in by a clamp of sorts, I'm having a word block right now. Either way, stick your hand in there, squeeze both sides of the holder and the bulb comes out.

Brandon J
12-06-2005, 07:43 PM
The Bentley manual would be very very helpful here for you. Changing the bulb is easy, just unscrew the bulbe at the rear of the housing. You answered your own question regarding the non-lit switch, probably burnt out. Look on ebay or other sources for a good used one for cheap.

Okay, look for commonality. Loose belt, low voltage on start-up, squeaky belt, dead battery. Get the belt changed and tight for the alternator. Maybe you have a good alternator, but it is not turning b/c of the belt. Your battery might have to be changed as well as batteries have shorter lifespans everytime it goes dead.

If your car is all tuned up, spark plugs, belts changed, thr right weight oil for colder weather, then you might find out that it was only the belt. Other culprits can be a bad battery, slipping belt, bad alternator, bad spark plugs, thick oil...whence the almost stalling, etc. Any one or a combo of these things can contribute. You should be able to find appropriate size belts at local auto stores.

Do searches on Bruno's bmwe34.net site for pics of cars with various types of mods, wheels. Just keep on looking to see what you like the best. Opnions are opinions and you have your own, so nobody else can say what is best.

Good luck on your endeavor

Hello again!
I have a few little things I would like to ask all of you extremely reliable, helpful e34 experts.

First of all, how do you get the front left turn signal out, and how do you change the bulb? (What type of bulb?)

Second, on the dash, there is the switch to turn on the lights, and the left switch light does not function. Although it does turn on the lights fully, so I assume it is just the little light inside the switch that is burned out, or a loose connection because only ONE time when i flicked it it turned on but every time since then it has failed to turn on.

Third, when I turn my car on usually when its cold it does this to a more noticable degree, it seems to almost stall, like it starts to rev and almost die...rev and almost die..for about a minute or two. The interior lights seem to dim and brighten when this happens, and it happens when I turn on the header, or the lights or the radio, thats when its the msot noticable. I was told this is probably my alternator belt, but also might be attributed to a cold start something-or-other. (not sure what it was now)

Fourth, randomly sometimes after I start and pull out of a parking spot or a driveway, I press on the gas and it makes this horrendous belt sqeaking noise when I press the car, it only stays for about a minute of driving, but its so loud and extremely embarrasing lol. Oh, and it seems to happen when I'm turning the wheel a bit, and when I'm going forwards only, not reverse so far.

Lastly, are there any other belts that could be squeaky, or are commonly sqeaky with age, I would very much like to fix those.
Are most of these problems attributed to belts?
Where can I find some good belts for decent price?
If there are parts I need could you lead me in the right direction so I can find some good deals, the BMW dealership near me (Kuni in Beaverton, OR) kills with their prices, as expected.

Oh, and as a sidenote, what wheels and tires do you guys recommend for a 525i e34 w that metallic silver paint? Anyone got any later model 5 series wheels, or any wheels they pulled off and have laying around, Anything but the 20-25 spoke ones, I have those on now but their worn out. I might be interested, post pics!

Thank you guys again so much, you are all lifesavers.
-Charles

CharlesAFerg
12-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I know I need to get new belts anyways, because they do squeak a lot, and another little thing that I hate is driving through a puddle and my steering pretty much dies as the belt just slips around.