PDA

View Full Version : What's the catch? 2002 M5 for $17k ???

rossburnett
03-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Just listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2465668569&category=6131

The dealer must have messed up. Someone buy it before they fix the ad.

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-08-2004, 09:37 PM
No way.

But notice that you have to be preapproved to bid. Maybe they're just fishing.

ScottyWM
03-08-2004, 09:43 PM
If I wasn't drooling so much, I'd be able to bid. HAs to be a typo.

Tiger
03-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Mmm... anyone lives there??? Would be funny to show up to buy it for $17K...VIN is legit... Maybe someone is playing a prank on the owner. Looks like a residential road near a major road.

Super90
03-08-2004, 10:21 PM
I'll bite. I asked for bidding approval. We'll see what happens.

Brian C.
03-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Just listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2465668569&category=6131

The dealer must have messed up. Someone buy it before they fix the ad.

shragon
03-08-2004, 11:08 PM
I'll bite. I asked for bidding approval. We'll see what happens.

let us know how it goes.

too good to be true tho.

a few odd items. his email address is @yahoo.it, which is yahoo italy. also the listing has the car as two doors.

Tiger
03-08-2004, 11:09 PM
If so, how do we take turn? ;)

AllanS
03-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah, it's probably a scam- if you go through the seller's feedback, 90% of the stuff he has bought is under 10$, most likely to add positive feedback in order to give the impression of an honest seller. He had like 10 seperate auctions he won for gillette razors! Then, add the foreign email address = scam alert.

Unregistered
03-08-2004, 11:21 PM
One car has 1 door, the other has 2, plus they have different wheels. Scam, pre-approved----since when!

myles
03-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Why do some of the pictures show an e46 m3?

sc156000
03-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Nice pics of someone elses cars - not his...

Brian C.
03-09-2004, 12:08 AM
If so, how do we take turn? ;)

Unregistered
03-09-2004, 10:45 AM
I e-mailed the guy on it, the car is supposedly US-Spec and in a port in another country and the guy doesn't want to pay to have it "federalized" I'm sure you could guess what happens after you send him a deposit. It had the same feedback scenario and the same private auction BS. ebay shut it down after two days

Super90
03-09-2004, 12:19 PM
I've received no response in my effort to be approved as a bidder!!

rossburnett
03-09-2004, 12:22 PM
... to ebay security.

rossburnett
03-09-2004, 04:13 PM
has been pulled, thanks to Bimmer.info Scambusters. :p

Super90
03-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Hello,
First you have to know the car is available on eBay,but the bidding/buying is restricted.The reason is that I had too many problems with bidders in the past and since then I am carefully with my auctions. I think that they always like to bid but not all the time like to buy,they just play games.The auction is a buy it now one so,only one person can buy it but for that I will need a proof of his seriousity and that he is available to pay anytime.For that, you need just to be agree with my condition stated below and the car will be yours.
The buy it now price includes shipping and insurance fees.
1. SHIPMENT :
I am currently located in Italy and the car will be shipped from here with by sea with the boat to your nearest port so please tell me what is your nearest port but due to the overwhelming numbers of offers I have recieved I will ask a 999$ deposit to seal the deal.
2. PAYMENT :
I'm a serious seller with experience in this field. I'm a fair trader with a good feedback on eBay which is the proof that l have closed a lot of successful deals.
You will arrange payment through wired transfer (www.westernunion.com).
All you have to do is go to www.westernunion.com and find an local agent near you were you have to go and send the funds.
3. INSURANCE
The car will be insured at the delivery service and insured for the transport.
4. RETURN POLICY
As soon as the car arrives, you will test the car and if it does not matches 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 7 days since the arrival date. In this case I will send you the full amount back and you will send me the car in the original crate and you don't have to pay the return shipping and insurance.
If this will be ok with you just email back with your info and tell me what info you need more about the car and the transaction and you will have it.
Sincerely hope to do the transaction.
5. In the 7 days inspection perioud you decide to buy the car send the remainig balance and i will send the car's papers.
You can call me at 0034646938444

Now, it so happens that I have friends in Italy and I asked this fellow where he is and I can have someone come look at the car instead of having it shipped here first.

We'll see how far we get.

mike wong
03-09-2004, 08:47 PM
so is the Seller

Rory
03-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Now, it so happens that I have friends in Italy and I asked this fellow where he is and I can have someone come look at the car instead of having it shipped here first.

We'll see how far we get.
I had somebody try the same scam on me when I was selling my wife's 325is last year. I had sold the car and was contacted 2 months later by a guy claiming to be in the UAE. I guess a '94 325is in black/black is really hard to find over there. To make a long story short I led him on for a while. I told him I wanted to accept money via PayPal but he insisted on a bank check. I am sure coincidentally that it would have been for many thousands more than the car and I could just wire him the difference. When I pushed for another form of payment he magically found a similar car locally (go figure). Be careful out there.

Best,
Rory

Super90
03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Not really interested, just wanting to see what happens next. We had some guy wanting to sell some really rare 356 from Holland not too long ago and one of the tub guys had a friend in that neighborhood, but the "seller" wouldn't meet with him unless he produced $5,000 just to take a look! We shut that auction down too.

Rigmaster
03-09-2004, 11:40 PM
How do you know that, Mike??

but, does the "seller" own the car?? I seriously doubt if the seller even knows what an M5 looks like...... This is a SCAM, no question about it. Has anyone called the phone number listed in the auction?? Why do they say they are in MD?? Anyone local to that area want to drive by and see if the car is really there?? This is too funny.

Bret.

mike wong
03-10-2004, 11:19 AM
I had emailed him for his phone number as the one in the ad did not work for me. He sent me an overseas number.

Then I emailed him back asking where he was and where the car is currently located. His reply was that they were in Rome.

I don't know if this is a scam or not, but it correlates with the ad mentioning shipping the car to the buyer's city.

I will not pursue...

MarkD
03-10-2004, 11:28 AM
I had emailed him for his phone number as the one in the ad did not work for me. He sent me an overseas number.

Then I emailed him back asking where he was and where the car is currently located. His reply was that they were in Rome.

I don't know if this is a scam or not, but it correlates with the ad mentioning shipping the car to the buyer's city.

I will not pursue...

This is definitely a scam. There were a few other ones like this on Ebay and the one common part is that they require payment by Western Union. They will tell you to put some odd names on the cheque also. Now who in their right mind as a seller, would tell you they will pay for the shipping if the buyer does not like the car? They can sell the car for more than that in Rome, unless it was stolen or is just a "virtual car"

Mark

shragon
03-10-2004, 02:09 PM
yes, agree, definitely a scam now. it's the new school auto trader/ebay scam. the car is supposedly located over seas. then he'll want payment through some fake escrow company. they take your money and you never see a car.

shragon
03-10-2004, 02:10 PM
update: ebay listing was taken down.

Super90
03-10-2004, 06:32 PM
So after asking to see the car in Italy, here is what the guy said:

Robert,

That will be great, you can tell your friends in Italy that they can come here and look at the car if they want.
BUT I dont realy think that I could hold the car untill the next few days, if you wanr me to hold the car for you I will hold it but I will need some security that you are going to buy it, so I will need from you a deposit of 1000 $ at Western Union so that I know that you are serious buyer and to have proof that you have the money availble.
PLease get back to me asap.

Robert Callaway <rcallawa@swbell.net> wrote:
Nayan,

I am very interested in your car and it so happens I have a couple of friends in Italy. I think we can save you some time by having one of them come and look at the car for me and report to me as to the condition. Let me know where the car is and I’ll see if I can arrange this within the next few days.

Many thanks,

R.

Obviously this guy is a crook. He didn't even tell me where he is in Italy, even though some of you have been told Rome. Amazing.

MarkD
03-10-2004, 06:51 PM
So after asking to see the car in Italy, here is what the guy said:

Robert,

That will be great, you can tell your friends in Italy that they can come here and look at the car if they want.
BUT I dont realy think that I could hold the car untill the next few days, if you wanr me to hold the car for you I will hold it but I will need some security that you are going to buy it, so I will need from you a deposit of 1000 $ at Western Union so that I know that you are serious buyer and to have proof that you have the money availble.
PLease get back to me asap.

Robert Callaway <rcallawa@swbell.net> wrote:
Nayan,

I am very interested in your car and it so happens I have a couple of friends in Italy. I think we can save you some time by having one of them come and look at the car for me and report to me as to the condition. Let me know where the car is and I’ll see if I can arrange this within the next few days.

Many thanks,

R.

Obviously this guy is a crook. He didn't even tell me where he is in Italy, even though some of you have been told Rome. Amazing.

If the crook's ad was still on ebay I would email him and tell him I have a friend in Rome who can be there on Thursday morning and see what he says!

Can you post his email address? I'll email him.

Mark

kiNGMak
03-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Nayan Broker [ssshah28@yahoo.it]

He sent me the same email as Super90 got :)

MarkD
03-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Nayan Broker [ssshah28@yahoo.it]

He sent me the same email as Super90 got :)

It's hard to check now that the eBay ad was pulled, but wasn't the original address soemwhere in Maryland? I ran a Google search on "Nayan Broker" and there is one in Maryland. see here: http://www.mouthshut.com/user/nbroker.html

Maybe the eBay crook is trying to use a bit of this other guy's identity.

Mark