PDA

View Full Version : Engine warmer option

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-06-2005, 09:40 AM
My car never had a block heater from new and my stealer told me you can't put one in an M5 due to the high performance cooling system. Anybody ever try one of these?

http://www.dieselproducts.com/proheat/proheat.html

The model 512 is under $100CDN and installs in minutes. An attractive option since it's -25C this morning.

Baby Polar bear: Mommy, what kind of bear am I?
Mama Polar bear: Why a Polar bear of course.
Baby Polar bear: Are you sure I'm a Polar bear?
Mama Polar bear: Of course I'm sure, your fur is white, isn't it?
Baby Polar bear: Well, yes it is but are you really sure I'm a Polar bear?
Mama Polar bear: For the last time, I'm sure you're a Polar bear. Why do you ask?
Baby Polar bear: Because I'm f-ing freezing!

Alexlind123
12-06-2005, 08:17 PM
If you look closely at the picture and read the other pages, it plugs in. It looks like its basically an electric blanket for your oil pan. Not that i would know, but it doesnt seem like that could interfere with the cooling system...

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-06-2005, 11:21 PM
If you look closely at the picture and read the other pages, it plugs in. It looks like its basically an electric blanket for your oil pan. Not that i would know, but it doesnt seem like that could interfere with the cooling system...

It's a 250W electric heating pad that sticks to the oil pan and warms the oil. Uses half the power of a typical block heater and puts the heat where it's needed so the oil flows quickly on frigid mornings.

The usual immersion (think electric kettle) type heater fits through one of the (mis-named) freeze plugs to boil the coolant. I had one of these blow out on my 325 so am inclined to be leery of them on a car that sees 7000+ on a regular basis.

$100C is much cheaper than the labour to install a $20 immersion heater.

Jon K
12-07-2005, 01:33 AM
It's a 250W electric heating pad that sticks to the oil pan and warms the oil. Uses half the power of a typical block heater and puts the heat where it's needed so the oil flows quickly on frigid mornings.

The usual immersion (think electric kettle) type heater fits through one of the (mis-named) freeze plugs to boil the coolant. I had one of these blow out on my 325 so am inclined to be leery of them on a car that sees 7000+ on a regular basis.

$100C is much cheaper than the labour to install a $20 immersion heater.

Truth is...

You're going to have a HELL of a time getting that to stick to the bottom of the oil pan. If the oil/dirt isn't enough to defeat adhesion, the contour of the pan is. If you did manage to scrub the pan clean/sandblast (dropping a pan is a lot more than $100) you'd still need to make it fit to the ribbed pan. And even still... Our pans are thicker than the domestic 16 gauge aluminumized steel pans. I find it hard to believe that would heat oil up to an operable temperature range. A block heater is much preferred.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Truth is...

You're going to have a HELL of a time getting that to stick to the bottom of the oil pan. If the oil/dirt isn't enough to defeat adhesion, the contour of the pan is. If you did manage to scrub the pan clean/sandblast (dropping a pan is a lot more than $100) you'd still need to make it fit to the ribbed pan. And even still... Our pans are thicker than the domestic 16 gauge aluminumized steel pans. I find it hard to believe that would heat oil up to an operable temperature range. A block heater is much preferred.

The bottom of the sump is flat and smooth with no ribs 'cuz the M5 uses an aux oil cooler. The heater (3.5" x 4.5") is far smaller than the flat area of the pan. De-greaser is used to make the surface ready for the adhesive and the silicone is to weatherproof the edge seal. Besides, the pan is already clean and oil free. Heating through the thicker aluminum should make no difference since aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor.

All that said, I found nothing about CSA/UL approval for the heater and I've asked the supplier for this info. That may be the deal breaker. All testimonials aside, electrical safety is more important than installed cost.

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 08:38 AM
if you can get it to stick up there I think it might be a good idea to have the oil warmer than ambient temperatures. This will not hurt the cooling system like conventional antifreeze block heaters.

mattyb
12-07-2005, 09:01 AM
i've never heard of this before. is this for real? **** I remeber my mother once many years ago using a hair dryer much to the amusement of my father and neighbors to heat an old morris minor to no avail of course. I think even at 6 years old I understood that it was a non event. But is it a reality that u guys have such technoligy available and do people use it? BTW it was so ****n hot here today my 2 computers shut down for 4 hours. maybe 48+ c all friggin day and now at 2.35 am its still 20 something. good beer weather jeff!

Jon K
12-07-2005, 09:02 AM
if you can get it to stick up there I think it might be a good idea to have the oil warmer than ambient temperatures. This will not hurt the cooling system like conventional antifreeze block heaters.

All the degreaser in the world can be used, the only way to get an adhesive to stick to an aluminum surface reliably would be with an etcher.

632 Regal
12-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Ohhh I dont doubt it will be a challange, I just said "if" he can get it to stick it sounds like a good idea.
All the degreaser in the world can be used, the only way to get an adhesive to stick to an aluminum surface reliably would be with an etcher.

Bill R.
12-07-2005, 09:16 AM
bond 100% its easy enough to run straps from the pan bolts across the bottom of the pan over the heater and to the opposite side pan bolt. He can even sandwich a aluminum plate to squeeze it tightly against the bottom of the pan.

Scott H
12-07-2005, 09:30 AM
a long time ago but lost my train of thought on it. Now that I have the engine out of the car for a rebuild and the oil pan is getting bead blasted (outside only) I wonder if this is an option again. The wagon sits in the driveway and it has been 10F here in Chicago lately. Once the M30 is in, it will be started, driven to the train stn 1 mile away, and left for the day....only to have the same thing happen when returning home.

bond 100% its easy enough to run straps from the pan bolts across the bottom of the pan over the heater and to the opposite side pan bolt. He can even sandwich a aluminum plate to squeeze it tightly against the bottom of the pan.

Bill R.
12-07-2005, 09:44 AM
least gets a chance to get fully warmed up:) or else put that hybrid electric conversion in too while your putting the m30 in ....

a long time ago but lost my train of thought on it. Now that I have the engine out of the car for a rebuild and the oil pan is getting bead blasted (outside only) I wonder if this is an option again. The wagon sits in the driveway and it has been 10F here in Chicago lately. Once the M30 is in, it will be started, driven to the train stn 1 mile away, and left for the day....only to have the same thing happen when returning home.

Scott H
12-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I can't seem to drag myself out of bed earlier than necessary lately. I'm worried about the amount of starts....although it's not like I can find a place to plug it in at the train station.... ;)

least gets a chance to get fully warmed up:) or else put that hybrid electric conversion in too while your putting the m30 in ....

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-07-2005, 01:04 PM

I was going to strap it as I've always been a "belt and braces" advocate.:)

The part is CSA approved for use in Canada and US. Stay tuned for results.

PS: they make them small enough to use as a Tadger heater too!:D :D

Jon K
12-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Heating through the thicker aluminum should make no difference since aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor.

Aluminum is a good thermal conductor, but the surface area you're heating is far less than the total area. The aluminum pan conducts heat just as well as it conducts cold (which is heat, but lets not get too scientific). Basically, if you look at the oil pan as a heatsink, the cold (supplied by the block, the ambient air, the oil) is far greater than the amount of heat being applied. Just my opinion.

535ise
12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Sounds interesting, let us know how you get on with it.

Excuse my ignorance but does the M5 have an oil temp gauge ?

RandallZittlau
12-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Hmmmm. My 91 M5 has a block heater. Not sure if it was installed at the dealer or from factory. The oil pan heater is another good option as I also find it takes a long time to get the oil up to temp during winter use.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Sounds interesting, let us know how you get on with it.

Excuse my ignorance but does the M5 have an oil temp gauge ?

Yes, it does:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/270kph.jpg

Phatty5BMW
12-13-2005, 03:33 PM
When I got my e28 years ago it has a BMW magnetic block heater on it. Common, but my e34 doesnt have one so whats gotta be removed from the e28?

Tiger
12-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I would go to diesel shop/stores... truck stop to get one locally if possible. They would have much more experience on this matter. As I can tell through websites... people say it is the way to go with ProHeat... I usually find them for $50 US or so...

You might want to consider putting one on tranny too...