PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Shot?

Mr. BILL
12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
I spoke with Kirk Koeller today. He suggested I try a fluid/filter change before I throw $2K at the problem.

Glad I'm smart enough to listen to smater people! Changed the fluid and took it for a spin. Drove about 100 yds and held my breath...I experienced the smoothest shift into second I think I've ever felt:D

Thanks to Kirk and all who suggested changing the fluid. I feel $2K richer.

Rodericb
12-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Took my son's car on, ('90 525 iA) I posted earlier that it wouldn't shift out of first gear until it warms up.

They checked it and said it needs to ne rebuilt. OUCH!:(

We did a partial rebuild about 22K ago as per winfreds DIY post.

So, the queston is, should I get a second opinion? If it is kaput, where's a good place to get another one?

Any suggestions appreciated.

I had a similar problem with my 89 525 iA. I checked the level and found that it was in need of fluid. Once I filled to the correct level, problem was resolved. I think it's due to the low fluid level not allowing enough pressure to build up to change the gear when it's cold. Transmission fluid expands when it's heated so that may explain why it will shift when it warms up a little. I'm not certain by any means but you may want to check your level. If you continue to have the same problems after topping off, it may be an indication of something more serious. Just a thought.

genphreak
12-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I had a similar problem with my 89 525 iA. I checked the level and found that it was in need of fluid. Once I filled to the correct level, problem was resolved. I think it's due to the low fluid level not allowing enough pressure to build up to change the gear when it's cold. Transmission fluid expands when it's heated so that may explain why it will shift when it warms up a little. I'm not certain by any means but you may want to check your level. If you continue to have the same problems after topping off, it may be an indication of something more serious. Just a thought.Perhaps its pressure related- have you checked the filter is ok? Maybe it had a bad change and/or a clutch/band surface has deteriotated. You won't know till you take the pan off and the magnets/filter out for a good look. Were all the o-rings removed from the tranny when u took it apart (some people leave them on and install another not knowing so they end up w 2 installed). Was it a good filter you used 22k ago? Some peeps say non original filters are a bad idea... are you checking the fluid levels when warm- it might have too much in there too... ;) Either way, a check at home will get alleviate the problem a bit and allow you to replace the fluid again at the same time.

BTW; OT: perhaps someone reading might know- if there is too much fluid (say a litre or so) in the pan can this damage the tranny or change its behaviour? :) Nick

Mr. BILL
12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks Nick, I checked the fluid and if anything, it looked like there might be too much. The whole black plastic thing on the tip was wet. I guess I'll bring it home, do a filter change, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

It just seems to me. that if it shifts OK after it warms up, it should be something other than a total failure. When it went bad the last time, it just slipped in first gear, wouldn't catch. That was caused by a kid my son let drive the car and he tried the old "neutral slam" and blew the seal out. We replaced that plus the A clutch pack. I don't remember if we replaced the torque converter seal. Seems like we should have. I don't know if that could be the cause.

Thanks guys.

genphreak
12-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks Nick, I checked the fluid and if anything, it looked like there might be too much. The whole black plastic thing on the tip was wet. I guess I'll bring it home, do a filter change, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

It just seems to me. that if it shifts OK after it warms up, it should be something other than a total failure. When it went bad the last time, it just slipped in first gear, wouldn't catch. That was caused by a kid my son let drive the car and he tried the old "neutral slam" and blew the seal out. We replaced that plus the A clutch pack. I don't remember if we replaced the torque converter seal. Seems like we should have. I don't know if that could be the cause.

Thanks guys.Sons can do a lot of damage to a trans with very little assistance and not much time. I blew the head on a car doing burn outs at 18, lucky it wasn't mums- (that was not off the cards), I hope your outcome is not a filter full of friction material and a poe-faced son!

Alexlind123
12-06-2005, 12:25 AM
If the whole plastic tip was wet, its probably because you checked the level with the engine shut off. You must check the fluid level while it is warm and while the engine is running with the transmission in park. I have found that with the engine off, the level reads much higher than when measuring it properly. With the engine off, all of the fluid drains down to the pan (even more quickly when it is warm) giving you a high reading. Please correct me if i am wrong, this is based from personal experience and the directions of the bentley manual.

Mr. BILL
12-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Nope, the car was running at the time I checked it.