PDA

View Full Version : Tire test results by Car and Driver...

SharkmanBMW
12-05-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10252

zygoteer
12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
In October, I chose the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 after trying an F40 with them ... very good stability with sensitive feedback to the steering wheel and most impressive in the wet - and got them at a discount too.

Zeuk in Oz
12-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Fascinating !
Interesting to note that they didn't take into account country of manufacture.
A friend of mine had a German set of Goodyears and thought they were the ants pants.
He replaced them with a set of Indonesian made tyres of exactly the same specs and they were rubbish.
Go figure !

onewhippedpuppy
12-06-2005, 07:14 AM
I like the Tire Rack ratings better, they rated some tires fairly high in C&D (Kumho) that I have heard terrible things about in Porsche circles. The only bad thing about articles such as this is they can't evaluate the tires over the long term. So if after 3,000 miles they suddenly start riding rough, and get really loud like a set of Pirellis I had on a past truck, the test isn't much help.

Qsilver7
12-06-2005, 12:33 PM
one must also take into consideration...which model of tire as well as the brand name. Many times (as in this case) we refer to Kumhos and Pirellis etc...but each tire should be judged on its own merits...for example...Kumho makes more than one tire...but most times people will either say "Kumhos suck"... or..."Kumhos are great!". But which tire are we referring too? The Kumho Ecsta ASX, is not the Kumho Ecsta MX, which isn't a Ecsta 712, which ain't a Kumho K11. One is a high performance all season, the other a performance summer tire, another a touring tire, etc.

We have to remember to compare apples to apples. ;)

I like the info at TireRack, too. :D

Karl
12-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Also the Tire Rack ratings include comments from drivers that include what car they were driven on. Our cars are going to respond differently than an Acura or S-10, so I consider the source of the comments if possible.

Traian
12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, the did test them on a BMW, and they also compared only high-performance summer tires, mentioning the make and model.