PDA

View Full Version : 525 running poorly

walt
12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
On the way home from work today the engine started to run very poorly. Running rough at idle and difficult to accelerate, the entire car would begin to vibrate fairly violently. Started suddenly without warning but got progressively worse as I continued on.

Does this sound like a crank position sensor? It was also raining today, maybe something got wet. Any help is appreciated.

Jr ///M5
12-05-2005, 07:10 PM
If your car was exhibiting this kind of behavior in the wet/rain, I would suspect ignition type problems. Look closely at the distributor cap. Remove the cap and inspect for cracks and water that is trapped under the cap. Look for badly corroded terminals inside the cap. Also inspect the rotor. It sounds like it got wet inside and spark is jumping around the inside of the cap. A new cap isn't too expensive if you find a hairline crack in the old one. Just be sure to replace the rotor too.

Hope this helps,

Jr

krzysiom5
12-05-2005, 07:22 PM
When was the last time you inspect spark plugs and ignition coils?

walt
12-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I changed the plugs just a few thousand miles ago but did not check the coils at that time. Also, just noticed the coolant level is low with no signs of any external leakage. Does this sound like a possible head gasket problem?

Thank, Walt
94 525

ryan roopnarine
12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
if the coils are dying (by dying, i mean developing hairline cracks), they will leak transformer oil, and short out when water gives them a short path to ground (ie, rain-->hairline cracks-->ground-->bad running when wet. has the problem gotten better or disappeared since that time?

walt
12-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks Ryan. The problem just started today and the rain has been continuing all day. If it dries out tomorrow I can investigate further.

I still have some concerns regarding the sudden loss of coolant.

walt
12-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Found light gray goop in the bottom of one of the spark plug wells. I guess this is the transformer oil causing the problem? Thanks all.