PDA

View Full Version : Alpina intake manifold, some general questions on this rare item.

BigKriss
12-05-2005, 03:12 AM
I only found out about these recently. There are some pics of what it looks like. I think Beetos in Perth has a similar setup, not alpina but the throttle body on the "wrong" side. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm thinking for a forced induction (turbo) setup, this is the way to go. Cooler intake temperatures becasue it's no-where near the exhaust. More room for an air-filter as well, me thinks. Maybe the intake in ported, I don't know. Anyway, how popular are they in the USA, becasue I've never heard of them in Australia and I've never heard of a board member here using one. It's Germany or the USA on this item. Comments anyone?

It's for an M30, off a Alpina B28 E30.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/Aaron528i/AlpinaManifold.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/Aaron528i/AlpinaMani2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/Aaron528i/AlpinaMani3.jpg

motorman
12-05-2005, 03:27 AM
By the look of the pics, its a cast blank before machining, then machined differently, ie throttle body on the other side. I belive alpina port match the manifold and enlarge the throttle body to 68 mm and match the holes, i got my throttle body for my e34 535ia machined locally in coffs hbr bigkriss, any good machinist can do it for you, you could possibly weld a standard manifold and reposition the throttle body to the other side,hope this is of some help to you

motorman
12-05-2005, 03:35 AM
May help, auther by the name of corky bell does a cracker of a book on turbo charging, it tells u every thing, from design, including calculations, intercooling, the lot, he also does a book on superchargers as well.

BigKriss
12-05-2005, 04:56 AM
May help, auther by the name of corky bell does a cracker of a book on turbo charging, it tells u every thing, from design, including calculations, intercooling, the lot, he also does a book on superchargers as well.

I already got that book, it's okay, but it's nothing compared to "Forced Induction: Performance Tuning" by Graeme A Bell. He's aussie also. The book is about 3 times thicker, with heaps of real world examples to go on.

motorman
12-05-2005, 05:17 AM
I'll have to check that one out, thanks bigkriss

BigKriss
12-05-2005, 05:33 AM
No worries mate. Do you ever go on eurocca.net? There's some guys on there doing greats mods to BMW's.

here is the original link to the intake manifold.

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php?t=11992&highlight=alpina+intake+manifold

beetos
12-05-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi Bigkriss,
My set up is a fairly extensively modded stock manifold. I have the original throttle body closed off with a plate that mounts a idle air motor block. The other side is machined to accept a 1000cfm 4 plate throttle body (the v8 efi 4plate system). From there, a special hat is used to route the intake forward to the intercooler. This set up flows a lot of air and gives good throttle control with the turbo. With a single plate the boost would run away with itself at small throttle opening, with the 1000cfm 4 plate, it only opens two plates at small throttle openings with means you can modulate the power better, and flows a **** load of air.

BigKriss
12-05-2005, 06:09 AM
**** yeah. thats what I want to see. I love the look of that throttle body. I want one, thats for sure.Thanks for the information.

I was going to ask you about your setup Beetos. My question is your "1000cfm 4 plate throttle body (the v8 efi 4plate system)", what brand is it and how much are they?

Did you get the inlet manifold ported?

Please show us some videos of the car mate. 500rwhp sounds unbelievable. especially since the lastest M5 has 500 rearwheel horsepower. I also noticed you Dyno readout was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. They read 15-20% lower than Dyno Jets. Your car should easily get in the 11's for the quarter mile.

emw525E34
12-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Fair dinkum!. What a heck of a setup!.

How is the power delivery towards 20 psi ?. Is anything similar to a Skyline R32 with a single large turbo ?. If thats, so its bloody violent. What sort of modds did you have on the drive-train to cope with such power ?.
Just curious.

emw525E34
12-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Wow Kris. thanks for that link. Wicked mods alright. Fiddling around with older "big iron" blocks are great fun, which I had the time.....

BigKriss
12-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Frankie, maybe you missed this link.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15747&highlight=beetos

beetos
12-06-2005, 06:06 AM
**** yeah. thats what I want to see. I love the look of that throttle body. I want one, thats for sure.Thanks for the information.

I was going to ask you about your setup Beetos. My question is your "1000cfm 4 plate throttle body (the v8 efi 4plate system)", what brand is it and how much are they?

Did you get the inlet manifold ported?

Please show us some videos of the car mate. 500rwhp sounds unbelievable. especially since the lastest M5 has 500 rearwheel horsepower. I also noticed you Dyno readout was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. They read 15-20% lower than Dyno Jets. Your car should easily get in the 11's for the quarter mile.

:) Though you would like that mate.

This is my throttle body, its by EFI hardware and there are blanking plugs fitted where the injectors are shown. Its not a straightforward fit and needs a fair amount of custom fab work.

The dyno chart on the write up is really old, I need to get it on a dyno now and see what it will do but I think it makes more power now as the boost was tapering off on that dyno plot. I think 11's would be doable.

Yes, its pretty violent, I need to get some video. Its a bit of a white knuckle ride, I love the way it can break 265's loose in second without even trying. Makes you forget its a big 5 series with all that weight on the rears!

kyleN20
12-06-2005, 11:01 AM
that would be the best if your running a front mount intercooler, somthing almost impossible with stock manifold, thats why TCD and such run a water intercooler, and i see one on the bay ever blue moon

beetos
12-07-2005, 05:44 AM
that would be the best if your running a front mount intercooler, somthing almost impossible with stock manifold, thats why TCD and such run a water intercooler, and i see one on the bay ever blue moon

Very good point! The outlet from a FMIC goes up very easy to a throttle body facing the fender, would be hard to route it the other way.