PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chips / Touchup Paint Advice

ProZak
12-04-2005, 11:54 PM
So, I got my beauty out of the carwash the other day and spotted several small chips on the front. Inevitable after 100k miles, I suppose. I picked up a touchup paint set (pigment plus clearcoat) from the dealer here and am waiting for a touch of warm weather to apply it, but was wondering if there are any tips or tricks you guys could recommend? I'm mostly concerned with protecting the metal, but I'd like to do as smooth a job as possible. Thanks in advance. First road trip (visiting the parents in northern VA) in 3 days!! Can't wait!!!!

SC David
12-05-2005, 01:13 AM
So, I got my beauty out of the carwash the other day and spotted several small chips on the front. Inevitable after 100k miles, I suppose. I picked up a touchup paint set (pigment plus clearcoat) from the dealer here and am waiting for a touch of warm weather to apply it, but was wondering if there are any tips or tricks you guys could recommend? I'm mostly concerned with protecting the metal, but I'd like to do as smooth a job as possible. Thanks in advance. First road trip (visiting the parents in northern VA) in 3 days!! Can't wait!!!!
Remember to use VERY little in every chip. You can always add more, but sometimes it's hard to remove what you've applied. I found that toothpicks worked well for the application.

Alexlind123
12-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Bavarian Autosport sells some stuff that is supposed to make touch-ups alot smoother. www.BavAuto.com Paint Chip Repair Kit $39.95 Its also called the "blob eliminator" just do a search on their website if youre interested.

BMWDriver
12-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I got Dupli-Color small touch-up paint tubes, 15ml (metric system... it's about 3 inches high by half inch width). You can apply either with the included brush, or use the tube as a pen. Yes, you read it right : like a pen. Works like a charm for small nicks and scratches. But if you have enough of a hole, you can probably use a bit of putty, then use the brush.

They don't have BMW reference as far as I know, but I don't think I have BMW color since it got repainted. I found a Nissan color that does the job nicely.

http://www.duplicolor.com

ProZak
12-06-2005, 11:35 AM
That's good stuff, guys. Thanks for the tips.