PDA

View Full Version : Performance spring recommendation

wjbell
12-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm thinking of putting some aftermarket springs on my 90 535i. My plan is to put springs and different wheels with lower profile tires. But I want a set of springs that are as close to the stock ride as possible. I also want springs with the least amount of lowering possible. Somthing like 1 inch in the front and 3/4 inch in the back.

Also, I've heard some aftermarket springs tend to sag or drop even more after time. I want somthing that will stay about the same (ride and height) over time.

Any suggestions?

Kalevera
12-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Do a search, my man...we beat this subject into the ground at least once every month.

The idea of keeping stock ride but lowering the car defies physics, regardless of what Bavarian Autosport says (hopefully, you throw away their catalogs when they show up on the doorstep, yes? :D) You'll want to buy a tuned kit to get anything that's even remotely engineered for the car. Lowering springs on stock struts/shocks is a long term no-no. We talk about the Sachs kit often (do a search), as well as the other options.

Every spring's spring rate changes over time, stock or otherwise. Some do settle, however, but that's usually an immediate change.

http://www.bmw4life.com has a nice guide to shocks/springs.

best, whit

I'm thinking of putting some aftermarket springs on my 90 535i. My plan is to put springs and different wheels with lower profile tires. But I want a set of springs that are as close to the stock ride as possible. I also want springs with the least amount of lowering possible. Somthing like 1 inch in the front and 3/4 inch in the back.

Also, I've heard some aftermarket springs tend to sag or drop even more after time. I want somthing that will stay about the same (ride and height) over time.

Any suggestions?

zuzuk212
12-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Bavarian Autosport says (hopefully, you throw away their catalogs when they show up on the doorstep, yes? :D)

I like the perty pictures:D
Ken

Brandon J
12-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Yes, do some research in the archives. From what you have described in your post you are mainly looking for a good sporty ride without sacrificing comfort, but want some drop to look good with larger wheels. Then I would recommend the Mtech springs with adjustable Konis. You can tune the Konis' rebound for a more compliant ride and the Mtechs aren't as hard as the aftermarket springs or spring/shock kits. You should use sport shocks with any lowering springs.