PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Oil Sump - how?

LosBenitos
12-04-2005, 06:05 AM
I have managed to smash a hole in the sump on my 1989 E34 530 and have obtained a replacement.

Now my question is.. can the sump be replaced without removing the engine first?

Dave M
12-04-2005, 08:51 AM
I have managed to smash a hole in the sump on my 1989 E34 530 and have obtained a replacement.

Now my question is.. can the sump be replaced without removing the engine first?

Can't provide first hand advice as I don't have the M60. Below is what Bentley has to say. I assume you don't have the hardcopy version, and thus advise you to get a copy ASAP. It will answer many questions. Once you are well read you can use the forum for its true purpose. Figuring out how to do what the Bentley tells you :)

Others with the M60 will surely provide any additional 'tricks' if they exist.

P.S. How did you manage to "smash a hole" in your pan? A little off-roading?

Good Luck,

Dave M

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/M60oil_pan.jpg

winfred
12-04-2005, 09:06 AM
89 530 is most likely a m30 motor 6 cylinder not a m60 v8 dave, it can be done in place by jacking the motor up about 4 inches and putting wood blocks under the motor mounts, before you jack it up ether disconnect the fan shroud and let it float or remove the fan then disconnect the air intake boot, jack it up slowly looking for anything else that may get hurt the hoses all have enough slack and should be fine, once you have the pan unbolted you need to unbolt the oil pump and drop it into the pan then you can slide the pan out, i think the nut holding the sprocket on the pump is reverse thread (been a while since i've done one) when you reinstall the oil pump sprocket use a good liquid thread locker on the nut (i had one come off once before i started using locktight)

LosBenitos
12-05-2005, 08:21 AM
winfred - you are correct in saying it is the M30 - sorry I should have specified this in my original post.

I managed to smash the hole on raised ironwork which was on some unmade road. My own fault, it was dark and I didnt see it until too late!

Well this sounds like there is hope then as I was advised by a local garage that the engine was likely to need removing first. They don't speciallise in BMW so maybe they didnt know what they were saying - either that or they were trying to charge me more...

Could be a job for when the sun comes out then!

Cheers for the advice.

Dave M
12-05-2005, 08:45 AM
89 530 is most likely a m30 motor 6 cylinder not a m60 v8 dave,

Ya learn something every day. I see 530, I think M60. I will look at the year next time.

Dave M

DanH
12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
It might be good to loosen the trans mounts when jacking up the engine. If you don't have an engine hoist, you can jack it up from the a/c compressor and the power steering pump.

To do mine I used a bottle jack on top of wood blocks then jacked one side up a bit and blocked it under the mount, then the other side and blocked it up then back and forth until it was high enough to get the pan out. (about 4" between the mount and engine foot)