PDA

View Full Version : e39 vs e90

nuwde
12-03-2005, 11:59 PM
hey guys, probably not the best place to ask this, but i thought i'd give it a shot.

mom is looking for a winter bimmer - xdrive. she likes the 5 series the best. currently owns 99 528i, but will probably be driving my 92 525i as daily starting next year.

what kind of CPO e39 can she get and how much would it cost? i was thinking about her buying a new 3 series. how much would that be? Thanks for your opinions!!

happy holidays! :)

edwin

Incantation
12-04-2005, 03:25 AM
what does:

(1) winter bimmer mean
(2) CPO mean

Zeuk in Oz
12-04-2005, 03:32 AM
hey guys, probably not the best place to ask this, but i thought i'd give it a shot.

mom is looking for a winter bimmer - xdrive. she likes the 5 series the best. currently owns 99 528i, but will probably be driving my 92 525i as daily starting next year.

what kind of CPO e39 can she get and how much would it cost? i was thinking about her buying a new 3 series. how much would that be? Thanks for your opinions!!

edwin

My choice would be an X5.

ra_pro
12-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Frankly, your post doesn't make much sense. Your mom drives a 528i but she will be driving your 525i next year and she needs a winter bimmer. Huh?...

Why are you asking about the cost of a new 3-series. You have a million websites that can give you all the numbers you need.

Alas, I will post one observation about winter driving. Tires make huge difference and you don't even need winter tires to have a good traction in snow. I just bought all season Fusion HR1 tires and put them on my 95 540. With these tires my rear-wheel drive car has better traction in snow and wet than my front-wheel drive Saab 95 Aero equipped with sporty all-season Michelins at more than double the price of Fusions. Saab is considered the ultimate snow front-wheel drive car yet I feel safer in the bimmer. Hence you don't need x-drive, 4-wheel drive, all-wheel drive or anything else just a good set of winter or all-season tires.

nuwde
12-04-2005, 09:30 AM
what does:

(1) winter bimmer mean
(2) CPO mean

all-wheel drive
certified pre-owned

nuwde
12-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Frankly, your post doesn't make much sense. Your mom drives a 528i but she will be driving your 525i next year and she needs a winter bimmer. Huh?...

Why are you asking about the cost of a new 3-series. You have a million websites that can give you all the numbers you need.

Alas, I will post one observation about winter driving. Tires make huge difference and you don't even need winter tires to have a good traction in snow. I just bought all season Fusion HR1 tires and put them on my 95 540. With these tires my rear-wheel drive car has better traction in snow and wet than my front-wheel drive Saab 95 Aero equipped with sporty all-season Michelins at more than double the price of Fusions. Saab is considered the ultimate snow front-wheel drive car yet I feel safer in the bimmer. Hence you don't need x-drive, 4-wheel drive, all-wheel drive or anything else just a good set of winter or all-season tires.

sorry, was late at night :)

she wants an all-wheel drive car for the winter.

Jimbo
12-04-2005, 04:42 PM

edwin
I drove an E90 330i 6-speed a few months ago and liked it alot. Lots of power , quite nimble and responsive handling, and its about the same size as an E34 5-series. Interior fit and finish were a bit lacking though (materials seemed cheap and plasticy...) , and if having a more luxurious interior is important, you would definitely be better off with a 5-series.

Also, the E90 is not yet available with 4WD yet and probably wont be for some time, and 4WD E39s (if they ever existed?) would probably be pretty hard to find.

Elekta
12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
If you have $56,000 the 2006 530iTX is pretty noich.

nuwde
12-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I drove an E90 330i 6-speed a few months ago and liked it alot. Lots of power , quite nimble and responsive handling, and its about the same size as an E34 5-series. Interior fit and finish were a bit lacking though (materials seemed cheap and plasticy...) , and if having a more luxurious interior is important, you would definitely be better off with a 5-series.

Also, the E90 is not yet available with 4WD yet and probably wont be for some time, and 4WD E39s (if they ever existed?) would probably be pretty hard to find.
thank you for the feedback. exactly the stuff i was looking for. i thought there is a 330xi, 325xi and 325xi touring for 2006 that is already available...anyone know for sure?

nuwde
12-04-2005, 05:22 PM
If you have $56,000 the 2006 530iTX is pretty noich.

yeah i gotta agree with you here. lots of money though. any other 5 series awd?

Elekta
12-04-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah i gotta agree with you here. lots of money though. any other 5 series awd?

You could get one from the netherlands, but it would be a rusted piece of crap.