PDA

View Full Version : Removing front grille surround

Rus
12-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Hello everyone!

I have an alignment issue with the metal grill surround at the front of the car. The edges don't line up flush with the bodywork under the turn signals and I suspect that the retaining clamps may need to be replaced. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to release the clamps and remove the metal piece. The Bentley manual recommends using a long screwdriver to push down on some clip behind the grille. I have not been successful in doing this. I can actually get the top portion of the clamp to detach from the metal surround, but the bottom retainers do not release. Is there some trick that I should know about?

EDIT: Image removed

Thank you in advance for any input.

angrypancake
12-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Big red X. The grill is such a PITA. There was a website that I followed when I took mine off that had a different method than the Bentley, using two flat head screw drivers and attacking it from the front, rather than the top. Lemme try an find it...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewinstonfong/repairpagessite2/frontgrillremoval.htm

Shogun posted that, I found it via google search...

Rus
12-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Thank you! That site definitely provided some valuable insight into my clip confusion. Now I know what I'm supposed to be pressing on. I'll try removing the grill again tomorrow and see if I can finally get it out. Best wishes!