PDA

View Full Version : Side Marker Lights

Alexlind123
12-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Are my side marker lights supposed to light up with the turn signals? When i was putting my headlight in i noticed some wires going to each side marker light, i then tested them with the turn signals but they didnt light up. If they are supposed to light up, what would cause them not to?

uscharalph
12-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Are my side marker lights supposed to light up with the turn signals? When i was putting my headlight in i noticed some wires going to each side marker light, i then tested them with the turn signals but they didnt light up. If they are supposed to light up, what would cause them not to?
You mean the one's in the bumper trim? They don't flash.

Jay 535i
12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
They're supposed to be on whenever the headlamps are on. They don't flash.

Chowchilla Skunkwerks
12-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Check out danielsternlighting.com. Very thorough on the what ifs and wayfors of lighting.
Rob

Alexlind123
12-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Perhaps i will look into that, it might be better to have them flash. My brother did something similar with his e28 brake lights. For some reason the middle (i think) lights would not light up when braking and he rewired it so that they did, it is much brighter now. Jaylebo, it looks by your picture as if they light up with the parking lights but maybe it is just a reflection.

angrypancake
12-03-2005, 01:09 PM
They light up with parking lights also

Kalevera
12-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Most E34/E32/E30s that I see come in with all four of the bulbs blown out. People don't notice that they're out, and the check control doesn't cover them. So they blow out over time and don't get replaced.

Be careful when removing the lights from the bumper trim. The plastic tends to shatter when old, and one can easily break a few of them before getting the hang of pulling them out.

The plastic tends to crack around the bulb in the housing -- bulbs are too hot for the housings. A quick fix is to seal the crack(s) with a bit of RTV. Also, the leads and harness connectors get brittle and rusty on cars that've gone through salty winters.

best, whit

angrypancake
12-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Or if yours suck ass like mine did, and my indy randomly put some black silicone on there to create a temporary seal, get some Euro trim from your stealership. IMHO looks much cleaner.