PDA

View Full Version : So I just failed my yearly inspection....

granit_silber
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
It was due for renewal in October and today I finally got around to doing it.

I failed due to my broken DS foglamp lens. Before I can pass I have to replace the foglamp.

As always here are my questions......
Along with elipsoid headlamps, did Euro spec e34's also have elipsoid foglamps?

If so, are there any benefits to installing them? Do they act more like driving lights or foglamps in the beam pattern.

Where should I start looking for a pair (other than the 'bay)?

-ashley
ps I have 9005/6 bulbs in my fogs now not H1's

billb
12-02-2005, 02:58 PM

I failed due to my broken DS foglamp lens. Before I can pass I have to replace the foglamp.

If so, are there any benefits to installing them? Do they act more like driving lights or foglamps in the beam pattern.

-ashley

did he have what you needed?

granit_silber
12-02-2005, 03:00 PM
did he have what you needed?

Bill,

I wasn't able to make the meet and I forgot that he offered some extra parts up a little while ago.

Thanks Man!
-ashley

billb
12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Bill,

I wasn't able to make the meet and I forgot that he offered some extra parts up a little while ago.

Thanks Man!
-ashley

...you need one, and would like to buy...so that makes me...THE MIDDLEMAN!!

And oh yeah, we had to postpone the buyer visit in the morning...more on that later.

Paul in NZ
12-02-2005, 03:35 PM
bmw foglamps are exactly that.......foglamps

Jay 535i
12-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Sounds dumb to me. Most cars don't even have foglamps, but because your is broken, the car is "unsafe?"

Jimbo
12-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Sounds dumb to me. Most cars don't even have foglamps, but because your is broken, the car is "unsafe?"

Its the same way with big trucks. Any of those big rigs you see on the road with all kinds of extra lights running up and down the running boards and sometimes even the trailer, if they have a safety inspection done and any of those lights are out, they fail. It doesnt matter that they serve no purpose besides decoration.

liquidtiger720
12-02-2005, 04:56 PM

-ashley

alot of us cars has ellipsoid foglamps too...like mine. :)

and you can easily make a harness from 9006 to h1's.

Alexlind123
12-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Thats an absurd law, it makes me think that washington isnt so bad after all.

Chris'91'525i
12-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Thats an absurd law, it makes me think that washington isnt so bad after all.

No doubt ! I'm suprised Califonia does not do these yearly inspections too.
I guess the bureaucrats cannot make a buck off of it, like the "Smog check 2" program taking over the state.

Theres these foglight lens sold on eBay. But it seems like it's a labor intensive job. Also kind of pricey for a couple lens.
Anyone done these ?

http://tinyurl.com/7jryv

Zeuk in Oz
12-03-2005, 07:56 PM
In Oz, you don't have to have a spare wheel - but if you do it has to have a tyre on it with legal tread.
Beurocracy ! :p

Kalevera
12-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Hey Ash. It's easier to just replace the entire foglamp. Cost should be somewhere around ~ $50 from BMA.

There are two kinds of fog lamps for US spec models. I don't know if they interchange, for some reason, I suspect not. Incidentally, the E32 lamp is wider and won't fit, although it may look like it will. The early cars (up to MY '91) have Hella projectors. Post '91 525s use NAL fogs. The bracket is the same, but I think they're a bit narrower in width. Also, later ('95) cars might've returned to projectors...I forget. But I know they were stock in '94 because, incidentally, I replaced the DS unit on a silber '94 525 earlier this week.

best, whit