PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise when turning

leetsauce4000
12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Recently I started noticing a weird noise when I take turns. I think its been getting more and more intense. The noise seems to be coming from under the gear shifter and it sounds almost like a squaky wooden floor board...or sometimes a crack. Could it have something to do with the cold? Although I live in Seattle, it's been hitting the low 30s recently.

Any ideas as to what it might be and if its serious enough to worry about?

Thanks

Jay 535i
12-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Sounds like a problem I have. I figured out it was actually people outside the car, yelling at me to SLOW DOWN!

Now I just drive with earplugs.

Sorry if that doesn't help :(

632 Regal
12-02-2005, 03:10 PM
is this on the Honda or Escalade?
Recently I started noticing a weird noise when I take turns. I think its been getting more and more intense. The noise seems to be coming from under the gear shifter and it sounds almost like a squaky wooden floor board...or sometimes a crack. Could it have something to do with the cold? Although I live in Seattle, it's been hitting the low 30s recently.

Any ideas as to what it might be and if its serious enough to worry about?

Thanks

Russell
12-02-2005, 03:24 PM
There is an airbag slip joint on the steering column on airbag equiped e34s. it can squeak when cold because copper paste grease is no longer effective. Ask me how I know!

Torque
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
How do you know?
There is an airbag slip joint on the steering column on airbag equiped e34s. it can squeak when cold because copper paste grease is no longer effective. Ask me how I know!

Russell
12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
May have seen it on Roadfly. Not sure. I was told to spread the excess copper paste around the contact area after you remove the steering wheel.

Of course, I am assuming it is the problem. Mine does it every winter until the interior warms up, never in warm weather. I will fix when a cluster bulb burns out.

My indy said they typically repace the contact ring which maybe a better long term solution.