PDA

View Full Version : Self Leveling and tranny swap ?s

Tourenwagen
12-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Hello all,

I have an e34 Touring that I ahve done a lot of stuff to. I swapped out he auto for a manual and the "transmission" warning text is always showing onteh cluster screen. Anyone know how to get that to go away?

I also did a bunch of suspension stuff and I removed all the self leveling stuff. I removed the "camber" switch as well on the trailing arm. The "self leveling" text shows up on the cluster after about a mile of driving. Anyone know how to get that to go away as well? Maybe I should buy another "camber switch" and reinstall that?

Thanks

Barry

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Hello all,

I have an e34 Touring that I ahve done a lot of stuff to. I swapped out he auto for a manual and the "transmission" warning text is always showing onteh cluster screen. Anyone know how to get that to go away?

I also did a bunch of suspension stuff and I removed all the self leveling stuff. I removed the "camber" switch as well on the trailing arm. The "self leveling" text shows up on the cluster after about a mile of driving. Anyone know how to get that to go away as well? Maybe I should buy another "camber switch" and reinstall that?

Thanks

Barry

The idea of using another camber switch to stop the "self levelling" warning will work. Most people just remove the camber switch operating lever from the control arm and then fix the lever in a normal position with a cable tie.

Another way to stop the suspension warning and the trans warning is to get into the wiring harness - info from another board:

The displays have several inputs that are unused on various models. On the
Check Control inputs, X19 pin 5 is the auto trans input. X19 pin 9 is the
"trailer light" input. Pin X19 pin 1 is the camber switch input. Those three
all ground in the harness back to the ground by the battery under the rear seat.
X19 pin 2 is a "power steering fluid low" input, conveniently grounded at the
fender next to the power steering reservoir (I'd like to add a sensor here
sometime.)

If you can find connector X19 you'll be laughing, but I don't know where it may be.

Scott H
12-02-2005, 01:59 PM
I am doing the auto to manual swap in a 525iT I currently have and will find out exactly what wiring/pinouts I must ground to defeat this sometime in early Jan when the engine and tranny are ready to get wired up......sorry I don't have the answers now. This is the one area where my local independent has prior experience and I have asked him to come in and help me in this conversion. He knows what to do. I will report back my findings.

As for the LAD suspension stuff, Anthony is right. You could buy another switch and use stiff wire to move the bar in to a position that will keep the message from appearing, but you can also ground that as well. Once again, that information is readily available from my independent and I will get that info sometime soon and report back my findings. Currently both my M5 and 525iT have eliminated self levelling units and the switch in the rear is in place with the arm fixed up and out of the way so that no warning messages pop up. I will eventually remove these switches and ground them out.

Scott

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I am doing the auto to manual swap in a 525iT I currently have and will find out exactly what wiring/pinouts I must ground to defeat this sometime in early Jan when the engine and tranny are ready to get wired up......sorry I don't have the answers now. This is the one area where my local independent has prior experience and I have asked him to come in and help me in this conversion. He knows what to do. I will report back my findings.

As for the LAD suspension stuff, Anthony is right. You could buy another switch and use stiff wire to move the bar in to a position that will keep the message from appearing, but you can also ground that as well. Once again, that information is readily available from my independent and I will get that info sometime soon and report back my findings. Currently both my M5 and 525iT have eliminated self levelling units and the switch in the rear is in place with the arm fixed up and out of the way so that no warning messages pop up. I will eventually remove these switches and ground them out.

Scott

See edit above - stolen from the Yahoo! group but I didn't want to plaster the name on this board.

Scott H
12-02-2005, 02:12 PM
I have the EWD for the cars and can post a pic of X19 when I get home. Javier or Bill R might get to it first though. I'm pretty sure you can ground these items at their ends (e.g. ground the camber switch) instead of digging at the check control unit or the main/body harness to achieve similar results. I guess I'll see what X19 is exactly when I get home, but something tells me if it's the check control unit that it is right next to the LKM in the e-box. I wouldn't touch anything there.

Another way to stop the suspension warning and the trans warning is to get into the wiring harness - info from another board:

The displays have several inputs that are unused on various models. On the
Check Control inputs, X19 pin 5 is the auto trans input. X19 pin 9 is the
"trailer light" input. Pin X19 pin 1 is the camber switch input. Those three
all ground in the harness back to the ground by the battery under the rear seat.
X19 pin 2 is a "power steering fluid low" input, conveniently grounded at the
fender next to the power steering reservoir (I'd like to add a sensor here
sometime.)

If you can find connector X19 you'll be laughing, but I don't know where it may be.

Tourenwagen
12-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Excellent info. So basically "breaking" the ground going to the check control trigors the warning messages. So by grounding pin 5 and 1 on plug x19 the messages will go away?

Barry

Tourenwagen
12-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Scott H,

You were speaking of pictures in the above post. Do you happen to have the pic of the x19 plug?

Thanks

Scott H
12-05-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm not so sure you want to dig in there to ground the necessary pins. There is very tight clearance and the possibility of accidentally screwing up the wrong part is high. I'd rather verify with my independent in a few weeks to be sure whatever I tell you is right. Can you wait a month or so? I will take pics and have a write up when it gets done on my 525iT.

Someone else may come in and have the answer in the meantime as well

Scott H,

You were speaking of pictures in the above post. Do you happen to have the pic of the x19 plug?

Thanks

Scott C
12-05-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm not so sure you want to dig in there to ground the necessary pins. There is very tight clearance and the possibility of accidentally screwing up the wrong part is high. I'd rather verify with my independent in a few weeks to be sure whatever I tell you is right. Can you wait a month or so? I will take pics and have a write up when it gets done on my 525iT.

Someone else may come in and have the answer in the meantime as well

X19 pin 5 is not too bad to get to... If I recall correctly, the connector itself is removable from the surrounding holder, you can then access the wires. I cut the wire (left enough room to rejoin if I ever found root cause of the false trans prog) and grounded the input to the CCM (not the Tranny control unit) 2 years ago. Solves the problem. Just make sure you have the correct pin when you do this. The pins are also removable from the connector if you would prefer not to cut the wire (then insert new pin with wire to ground).
Please check the electrical manual to verify that this is in fact the correct pin for your specific car!!!

Since you removed the tranny ecu, you could actually ground it right at the tranny connector without futzing about removing the CCM.

Scott

Bill R.
12-05-2005, 09:59 AM
see a green and a blue, the ones you want to ground are pin 1 and pin 5 as others have stated.http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/x19.jpg

http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/xconnectorgreen.jpg
Here is the pinout of the plug itself.

Scott H,

Thanks

theDogger
12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
I am in the process of swaping my 4-speed auto for a ZF320 5-speed. Waiting on parts but the wiring is not that tough of a process. Check this thread and it will answer you questions.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79886&highlight=tranny+swap

theDogger

Bill R.
12-06-2005, 03:07 PM
threads that get started on here, especially as pertains to the question that was asked regarding the warning messages and how to turn them off....

I am in the process of swaping my 4-speed auto for a ZF320 5-speed. Waiting on parts but the wiring is not that tough of a process. Check this thread and it will answer you questions.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79886&highlight=tranny+swap

theDogger

Scott H
12-06-2005, 03:48 PM
thanks for throwing your hat in Bill......

btw, no offense taken.... :D

threads that get started on here, especially as pertains to the question that was asked regarding the warning messages and how to turn them off....

theDogger
12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
No offense take....but if you filter through the entire thread it explains how to wire the switches......I know that there is a TON of BS in there and I do agree....just thought that it would help....

theDogger

DeefMan
01-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Can someone tell me exactly where the camber switch is? or better yet, where the wiring to that switch is routed from?

I've got a 92 535i which was lowered by the previous owner w/ eibach springs & bilstein HD struts, and occassionally I get the SUSPN LEVELING error. I put the back of the car on ramps and looked, couldn't find any box that looked like a switch, pulled off each rear tire and looked and couldn't see anything box like thing connected to any of the suspension...

I'm guessing that the switch was removed when the springs were installed, but that wouldn't explain why sometimes there's no SUSPN LEVELING error, and other times there is.

I pulled up the back seat and looked to see if the camber switch box got put in there, but didn't find anything that looked like it..

Looked at all the wiring and hoses on the right rear wheel well, 2 wires - 1 for brake sensor, 1 for abs sensor, 1 hose for brake fluid, 1 tube for emergency brake, a wire going to the diff, and then a wire that goes to the trunk.

Bentley just says that there's a camber switch that controls the SLS, with no pictures or any other details. I did find a .PDF file describing e32 SLS and it had a picture of the camber warning switch, yet I didn't see anything like that under the car.