PDA

View Full Version : NE1 w/535iA have an engine and tranny chip?

billy in slo
03-08-2004, 02:28 PM
I have a 90 535iA w/EAT chip (6800RPM) and a 3.91 diff, am considering a 4.27 diff and Dinan tranny chip. Any impressions on the effect of a tranny chip? I'm sure Dinan would say I need to have thier engine chip but I would guess Marks' would work equally well. I really want the shift points to be more aggressive.

bahnstormer
03-08-2004, 04:11 PM
i've never really understood those tranny chips.
why not just hold the gas pedal a little deeper?
press it just a little harder =]

billy in slo
03-08-2004, 06:18 PM
just kidding, "I'm pushing as hard as I can Jim". I also manually shift the auto tranny a lot, sometimes you just want to hold it at a little higher rev range. On a related note, took the e12 3.5 monster (5-spd) out for a spin yesterday and when I put my foot down in that one, whoa boy! laid down at least 50' of black stuff w/o really trying. Amazing the difference 'tween auto and manual!
But I am of the opinion that it doesn't have to be that way, thus the quest for a tranny chip and 4.27 rear end.

Jon M.
03-08-2004, 07:03 PM
But I am of the opinion that it doesn't have to be that way, thus the quest for a tranny chip and 4.27 rear end.

I have a '92 535ia with a dinan tranny chip, dinan engine chip, and the 4.27 LSD rear end. the chip makes shifts firmer in all gears, holds lower gears slightly longer while accelerating moderately and is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion - it pretty much creates a sport setting that shifts into overdrive.

I like the effect, but it's still no manual.

the 4.27 rear end is another worthwhile upgrade, based on my seat of the pants drive of an '89 535ia

billy in slo
03-08-2004, 07:20 PM
I have a '92 535ia with a dinan tranny chip, dinan engine chip, and the 4.27 LSD rear end. the chip makes shifts firmer in all gears, holds lower gears slightly longer while accelerating moderately and is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion - it pretty much creates a sport setting that shifts into overdrive.

I like the effect, but it's still no manual.

the 4.27 rear end is another worthwhile upgrade, based on my seat of the pants drive of an '89 535ia