PDA

View Full Version : I'm nervous...someone's coming to see Ginger Saturday...

billb
12-02-2005, 08:08 AM
...what if they don't like her? :(

I'm the world's worst at selling a car. I talk too much. "Well, she uses just a touch of coolant, and there's been this tiny oil leak I've been meaning to look after, and once in a blue moon the driver's seat will blow a fuse, and..." but I forget to look at the car as a whole. New brakes, tires, battery, water pump, runs like a top, gets 22 city, 29 highway, everything works on it, it's emissions legal, can still turn heads, is as comfortable in the twisty's as it is on the interstate...why are we selling it again?

Oh yeah, looking for one of these:

http://www.audibmw.com/car_images/zoom/b0cd90aa622581f55f75c91ea2c9cbe4.JPG

Gayle
12-02-2005, 08:21 AM

I'm the world's worst at selling a car. I talk too much. "Well, she uses just a touch of coolant, and there's been this tiny oil leak I've been meaning to look after, and once in a blue moon the driver's seat will blow a fuse, and..." but I forget to look at the car as a whole. New brakes, tires, battery, water pump, runs like a top, gets 22 city, 29 highway, everything works on it, it's emissions legal, can still turn heads, is as comfortable in the twisty's as it is on the interstate...why are we selling it again?

If they don't like her, they are not a worthy adoptive parent. My theory is that I will never sell any of our cars to someone I don't like and that I don't think fully appreciates the car. A car is like a family member--it has to go to a good home.

You need to get in touch with what is unique and special about e34s. I will email you the "sales brochure" we had for our 525 that addresses why someone should want to buy an e34. And forget coolant and the oil leak. Ginger should not be compared to a brand new car that has no issues. She should be compared to other e34s. All e34s have issues. And her issues are pretty damn insignificant. She's hot and don't you forget it.

Jose
12-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Don't worry too much about the sale. If they ask you if anything is wrong with the car, just say the car runs like a dream and until now everything has been working. This doesen't count ofcourse if something is seriously wrong with the car like being a smoker and a drunk for coolant. People are always trying to find something to get the price down, hey, we do it ourselves too .

If they start making unreal statements about your car just ask them; are you here to nagg or buy a car, if it's the first, leave and don't buy it, you're not worth it. Worked for me each time, and each time sold the cars.

Good luck in seling.

Springfield1952
12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey, don't forget the e34 is a great car. Remember the thread a while ago about all the little hidden goodies on the e34 - tricks that lots of people don't know about? The heating element for the door lock to defrost a frozen lock, auto venting so the cars not an oven when you return, the wipers go to intermittent when the car stops, you can close the sunroof and all the windows from outside the car with you key - tons of really cool things. If you didn't see it, the thread is http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10208.

Your buyers are getting one of the best cars made! They're damn lucky you're willing to part with it! It's a privilage that you let them even consider buying it. Now go get'm and sell the hell out of it! :D

Good luck. Curt.

Incantation
12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
someone here posted a good sales "brochure" they made a few months ago.. it basically told the prospective buyer that the e34 is an enthusiast's car with a loyal following and lots of technical advice to be found on the net

can't remember who it was but .. i think that write-up would appeal to a lot of people.. anyone remember?

granit_silber
12-02-2005, 03:17 PM

NO!!!!

Say it ain't so. I thought you dodged that bullet for good awhile back.

If you have to sell it, I hope you get a freakin ton o' cash out of her!
Best Wishes,
-ashley

Torque
12-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Bill, sell me the e30. :D

ScottyWM
12-02-2005, 06:02 PM
At least you're staying in the BMW family! Seriously, I don't think you'll have any trouble. By the way, did you see this '99 540iT Sport for sale here locally? Sounds like a good deal to me. Damn, maybe I'll go check it out...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=184529278&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=5&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_5_%7CD-_38_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-27511&aff=national

Jr ///M5
12-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Bill, here's how to overcome the anxiety of selling your car. Go over to your Uncle's house, rummage through his closet and find a plaid jacket, some white pants and red socks. Pull the pants up to your chest and fasten with a thin black belt. Top off the ensemble with a cigar and a pair of wing tips. Place one of his hats on your head and you will be able to sell snowballs to eskimos....=)

Now that you have a grin on your face, don't forget to tell him about the virtues of owning an E34. I do believe the drive will sell him. Not to mention the condition you keep the car in, both mechanically and cosmetically. And lastly, don't be afraid....the zuit suit will protect you...=)

Good luck my friend,
Jr

PS...have you found the right E39 yet?

Jr ///M5
12-02-2005, 08:02 PM
And if you need any lookin' done in my area for your E39 search, I'll be glad to help!

Jr

Gayle
12-03-2005, 10:20 AM
someone here posted a good sales "brochure" they made a few months ago.. it basically told the prospective buyer that the e34 is an enthusiast's car with a loyal following and lots of technical advice to be found on the net

can't remember who it was but .. i think that write-up would appeal to a lot of people.. anyone remember?

That was me and I have already emailed it to Bill.

632 Regal
12-03-2005, 06:15 PM
did she sell or just tease him?

billb
12-03-2005, 11:42 PM
did she sell or just tease him?
...actually, we had a schedule conflict, and decided it was an omen that we weren't ready to sell.

I pulled the craigslist ad. We're so indecisive. Plus, things aren't looking so good at work right now, and we don't need a car payment at this point...

Plus, I think I was underpriced, based on the quick response I got from the folks on craigslist.

Thanks all for your support. The E34 did get kicked out into the cold/wet tonight though, since our Model A club did a parade in my town, and my folks brought their '28 Phaeton over for the parade. After the parade, we had sleet/rain here, and the Phaeton is a Grand Champion high point car that hasn't been wet underneath since restoration...so, my garage is full of Model A's. And behind those are the bimmers. The explorer REALLY got kicked to the curb!

MTechnik540i
12-04-2005, 12:04 AM

Nice choice Bill! Find a 5spd before you make the plunge though.

As long as you keep "Junior," I'll continue talking to you. ;)