PDA

View Full Version : Help... tranny problem

dogman
12-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Recently, after warming my engine up, i try to put my car into reverse. It makes a whining sound and fails to engage. I check the tranny fluid and it was low. So I filled it up and it worked but not for long. Yesterday while driving i stopped to check if it would go into reverse. It did, many times i checked and no problem. This problem seemed to be only when the engine was cold but after i drove for a few mins it would correct itself. Today i checked again and it wouldnt go into reverse. It drives forward fine and still shifts very smoothly. I have looked through the archives and found some posts mentioning changing fluid, filter, and possibly pumps in the tranny

Any help would be appreciated
BMW E34 '89

Kalevera
12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Recently, after warming my engine up, i try to put my car into reverse. It makes a whining sound and fails to engage. I check the tranny fluid and it was low. So I filled it up and it worked but not for long. Yesterday while driving i stopped to check if it would go into reverse. It did, many times i checked and no problem. This problem seemed to be only when the engine was cold but after i drove for a few mins it would correct itself. Today i checked again and it wouldnt go into reverse. It drives forward fine and still shifts very smoothly. I have looked through the archives and found some posts mentioning changing fluid, filter, and possibly pumps in the tranny

Any help would be appreciated
BMW E34 '89

Uh....what car is this? Well, it doesn't really matter. Any US spec '89 automatic has a 4hp-22.

If the car was run for long enough with low fluid, there's the possibility of wear and hard part damage due to lack of lubrication. One thing to do is find out if the fluid is burnt, or do a fluid change and see what comes out.

No reverse on the 4hp (usually accompanied with no forward gears) is often attributed to a blown A clutch pack, usually a result of revving the car in park or neutral.

Mine lost reverse but kept all forward gears and shifted normally. The F clutch basket remachined itself, I've got no theories on why or how. The F basket is at the back of the assembly, and it's a hard part, so I ended up buying a ZF reman.

best, whit

dogman
12-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeh its a 520 i and it is shifting normally in the forward gears. It doesnt act up in reverse all the time.. usually only when the engine is cold. sometimes it takes a few seconds and it engages. I will change the fluid, filters, and pump. After Christmas. Any idea on the price for filter and pump?? Cheers

Uh....what car is this? Well, it doesn't really matter. Any US spec '89 automatic has a 4hp-22.

If the car was run for long enough with low fluid, there's the possibility of wear and hard part damage due to lack of lubrication. One thing to do is find out if the fluid is burnt, or do a fluid change and see what comes out.

No reverse on the 4hp (usually accompanied with no forward gears) is often attributed to a blown A clutch pack, usually a result of revving the car in park or neutral.

Mine lost reverse but kept all forward gears and shifted normally. The F clutch basket remachined itself, I've got no theories on why or how. The F basket is at the back of the assembly, and it's a hard part, so I ended up buying a ZF reman.

best, whit