PDA

View Full Version : Any interest on some Racing duty thrust arm bushings?

Bruno
12-01-2005, 02:23 PM
I am talking for the Pure drivers who want their E34 to react as soon as they turn the wheel.

Full metal/metal bushing with grease nipple. We could also do excentric bushings for more or less negative camber.
Expect some road noises being transmitted.

We have a set that is on test on a BMW E34 535i turbo on the race track.
So far we experienced with a lot of urethane bushings and none was satisfactory, but the metal bushing is great.

Keep me posted if any of you guys are interested.

Incantation
12-01-2005, 02:41 PM
i'm interested.. ball park $$ cost?

Torque
12-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm interested. The ride teeth shattering?

Bruno
12-01-2005, 02:55 PM
i'm interested.. ball park $$ cost?
I am aiming around 160 - 200US for the set because it will be a limited production.
They will be sold as a bushing alone or bushing pressed into the arm (for extra money).

Bruno
12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm interested. The ride teeth shattering?
Excpect some noise being transmitted but the ride should be the same.
The reactivity of the car while turning will be very quick as there won't be any compliance in the bushing.

There shouldn't be any more bushing to change neither as this is the ultimate radical bushing.

I understand that this bushing won't be for everyone but only the hard core E34 drivers that are going to the track and are tired of changing bushings every year or 2 years (like I used to do).

granit_silber
12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Excpect some noise being transmitted but the ride should be the same.
The reactivity of the car while turning will be very quick as there won't be any compliance in the bushing.

There shouldn't be any more bushing to change neither as this is the ultimate radical bushing.

I understand that this bushing won't be for everyone but only the hard core E34 drivers that are going to the track and are tired of changing bushings every year or 2 years (like I used to do).
Bruno,

Would this be a "final" bushing. (i.e. it wouldn't wear out in normal conditions)? Would the non-compliance of the bushing negativly affect the rest of the suspension (control arms, etc...)
-ashley

BigKriss
12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Do you have any pics of the bushings Bruno, how to they compare to RRT control arms?

kyleN20
12-01-2005, 03:11 PM
i need new bushings bad, but im no track captain, or "racing king" do you have maybe an economical more road than track solution?

peks
12-01-2005, 03:48 PM
i need new bushings bad, but im no track captain, or "racing king" do you have maybe an economical more road than track solution?

hmm.. sounds like you want the 750i bushing...:D

Bruno
12-01-2005, 03:58 PM

You can get the M5 bushing and add some liquid urethane in the cavities. That should last even longer than the 750i bushings

Bruno
12-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Do you have any pics of the bushings Bruno, how to they compare to RRT control arms?

The RRT control arm is mainly the ball joint. I won't touch that.
I am mainly concerned about the play and the wear on the Thrust arm bushing.

We didn't take any pictures but I will try to get some ASAP.

Bruno
12-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Bruno,

Would this be a "final" bushing. (i.e. it wouldn't wear out in normal conditions)? Would the non-compliance of the bushing negativly affect the rest of the suspension (control arms, etc...)
-ashley

The arm is design to flex ( I will have to make a drawing at some point) at the point of the bushing up and down but also a little bit side to side.
I will remove the flex side to side, it will move only up and down.

This won't affect the rest of the car, but the car will react quicker from steering inputs.

BigKriss
12-01-2005, 04:09 PM
The RRT control arm is mainly the ball joint. I won't touch that.
I am mainly concerned about the play and the wear on the Thrust arm bushing.

We didn't take any pictures but I will try to get some ASAP.
sorry Bruno. I thought the balljoints on the RRT arms where stock and the bushing's where a spherical bearing type. Here's a pic

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1574&stc=1&d=1127087160

kyleN20
12-01-2005, 04:41 PM
how much, where?

MBXB
12-01-2005, 06:59 PM
how much, where?

Kyle

Here's what Bruno's inserts looked like. The red poly inserts take the place of the green that come with the replacement bushings.

Bruno
12-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Kyle

Here's what Bruno's inserts looked like. The red poly inserts take the place of the green that come with the replacement bushings.

Well, considering that the supplier left with my money and I would need to create a mould, I went another route.

Bruno
12-02-2005, 07:04 AM
sorry Bruno. I thought the balljoints on the RRT arms where stock and the bushing's where a spherical bearing type. Here's a pic

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1574&stc=1&d=1127087160

That would be great... and very expensive I am sure...
I still have to do some testing on the part and evaluating options.

l8apex
12-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Keep me in the loop.

BTW, are your rear subframe mount rings supposed to fit loosely? It seems as though two would fit in the alloted space.

I am talking for the Pure drivers who want their E34 to react as soon as they turn the wheel.

Full metal/metal bushing with grease nipple. We could also do excentric bushings for more or less negative camber.
Expect some road noises being transmitted.

We have a set that is on test on a BMW E34 535i turbo on the race track.
So far we experienced with a lot of urethane bushings and none was satisfactory, but the metal bushing is great.

Keep me posted if any of you guys are interested.

Bruno
12-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Keep me in the loop.

BTW, are your rear subframe mount rings supposed to fit loosely? It seems as though two would fit in the alloted space.

TWO... wow that is a lot of gap. No if the mount isn't broken, only one should fit tight.

If you can put two, that means that your subframe mount is completely broken and the subframe is allowed to move a lot.

l8apex
12-02-2005, 09:48 AM
I removed the entire rear subframe 3 years ago when I installed my Quaiffe 3.46 differential. I had all new bushings pressed in while the subframe was out. New dogbones too. I drive it on the track a lot, and it doesn't seem loose or sloppy. When I installed the rings, the car was on jack stands under the subframe. I don't know whether the gap decreased when the car was back on the ground, but it handled fine. I even got a few complements on how well balanced the suspesion setup was.

TWO... wow that is a lot of gap. No if the mount isn't broken, only one should fit tight.

If you can put two, that means that your subframe mount is completely broken and the subframe is allowed to move a lot.

Bruno
12-02-2005, 10:00 AM
I removed the entire rear subframe 3 years ago when I installed my Quaiffe 3.46 differential. I had all new bushings pressed in while the subframe was out. New dogbones too. I drive it on the track a lot, and it doesn't seem loose or sloppy. When I installed the rings, the car was on jack stands under the subframe. I don't know whether the gap decreased when the car was back on the ground, but it handled fine. I even got a few complements on how well balanced the suspesion setup was.

Nice diff... In this case, depending where the car was jacked up, the bushing could have stretched, I had another customer reporting the same thing, but when the car was back on the ground, there isn't any gap visible.
So I do think that you don't have a gap and can see the gap only while jacking up the car which stretch the bushing.

Tourenwagen
12-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I just joined this community here. I have a few questions that I will post in another thread but I will tell you about the thrust arm bearing ride quality. I first put bearings on the lower control arm about 2 years ago and the car felt much better, much quicker turn in. Later about 1.5 years ago I put the bearings in the thrust arm (the ones posted on this thread) and the car felt great. There is not much road noise at all but the only thing I did not like is that bumps were much more harsh. IE it wasn't really road noise so much as a loud bang (but not in the bad way). I took them off because I want the Touring to be more of a cruiser. Hope this helps..

- Barry

- E34 525 Touring "Alpineweiss": Custom shortened Bilsteins / H&R springs / 5 Speed conversion / 3.0 S50 with injectors,HFM,Chip / Alpina wheels / RRT Wheel Studs

- E30 M3 "Lachsilber": Under re-construction.