PDA

View Full Version : parking lights?

skr
12-01-2005, 10:15 AM
i've been reading the owners manual and came across this: "Parking lights, right or left: Move the turn indicator lever beyond the normal indicating position and allow it to engage"
as far as i know the only lights outside my car are city lights, low beam, high beam,fogs, 6 turn indicators, brake, rear position lights(or whatever they are called) and reverse.
so what are the parking lights and why nothing happens when i push the lever further than normal?

shogun
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Parking lights are European version, probably in your country they are not allowed. All my cars I had in Germany had that and they must have it. So when you park on a street with little or no light, you can switch one side only on = front city light as you call it, and on the same side one tail light. And that is the side towards center of the street.

Try once more, push the lever further than normal and get the steering wheel locked and take the keys out. If it does not work, not possible in your specification.
I also do not have this on my japanese spec car, we always must have both lights on.

skr
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
thanks shogun,
they actualy work :) . i just haven't tried it with the keys out of the ignition.
it's allways nice to learn new things about my car.

romus
12-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Yes i was wondering about the same thing! I tried with keys out of ignition but haven't pushed the indicator lever further than normal. Gotta try this. I've seen other E34's do it here, so i thought mine should too :)

Once i had that on my E30 318 ;). I parked behind an E46 that had those lights on, so i did mine too. However, mine were (coincidentally) due to burnt park light bulbs that just happened to be both gone on the same side! :)

Thanks guys

Torque
12-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am interested in knowing what controls this feature? Does it go through the LKM? If so, would it work on mine if I fitted a LKM from a Euro model?

Thanks in advance.

ps. I don't really need the thing, but I just think it's nice and I want it. :D

rob101
12-12-2005, 01:10 AM
My 1982 528i has this feature however it comes on whenever you have the indicator on and you turn the car off. Is it common for people to use this feature in europe because i have never really found much use for it?

shogun
12-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Is it common for people to use this feature in europe because i have never really found much use for it?

Required by traffic law for parked vehicles on roads outside city limits or on streets without light.