PDA

View Full Version : Inspection light issues

Black 535i
03-08-2004, 12:29 PM
The inspection lights and the mileage lights on my 92 535i are very dim and do not light up in the cold until the car has warmed up substantially. Here in Chicago that might be a half hour of driving before they light up completely. Is there an easy fix for this? For my business I have to record my mileage and it is very difficult in the winter without knowing where you started since you cannot see the display. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is not a problem from May to October.

Warren N.CA
03-08-2004, 01:25 PM
The Fix: Remove and replace all connectors several times. This cleans the rerminals. For a longer lasting fix, apply stabilant 22 to connector terminals. http://www.stabilant.com Check with them for best source near you, perhaps a VW dealer. They sell it, but may not know the Stabilant name. I know of no effective substitute for Stabilant 22.

The inspection lights and the mileage lights on my 92 535i are very dim and do not light up in the cold until the car has warmed up substantially. Here in Chicago that might be a half hour of driving before they light up completely. Is there an easy fix for this? For my business I have to record my mileage and it is very difficult in the winter without knowing where you started since you cannot see the display. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is not a problem from May to October.

Black 535i
03-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Will just cleaning the terminals work or while I have the display out should I replace all the bulbs?