PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening

Jay 535i
11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Just wondering if there are any products out there that make the cabin a little quieter? Insulating window film, maybe, or something like that.

While top-of-the-heap in its day, I find the interior noise is really the only thing seperating the E34 from more modern luxury cars. If I could bring the decibel level down just a bit it would really add to that luxury feeling.

Any tips?

Anton CH.
11-30-2005, 02:45 PM
I agree, the E34 has a ton of road noise. Most noticable at speeds above 55 mph. Audiophiles use stuff called Dynomat. It's very expensive and heavy and would require you to remove all the uphostery for installation. Tires also can increase the sound levels, some tires are noiser than others. I am not sure what the Cd coefficient is for our cars but I don't belive its too far off from modern cars.

Alexlind123
11-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Earplugs? There is sound deadening sheets that are adhesive that one could add to the doors but considering how much sound insulation the e34's already have, im thinking you might not need more. Perhaps the deals on your doors and windows need replacing. Most of the sound in my car comes in through the drivers door seal which is at the end of its life. Or, you could just turn the stereo up :D

Jay 535i
11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks. I know about Dynamat, but that's not what I was thinking of. I'm thinking more about wind noise.

Modern luxury cars have double glazing, laminated windows, super-thick glass, or some other special window treatment to cut down wind noise. I think that is all the E34 is missing. Most of the exterior noise definitely comes through the windows. I thought there may be a simple way to improve the windows' sound-insulation qualities.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Later mirrors are quieter. FWIW, the 535 is silent as the grave compared to the M...

Incantation
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
that's an interesting point.. i usually have my stereo too loud to notice anything.. and since i put on my exhaust (which is way too loud) i don't hear anything..

are you running stock exhaust? just curious if it's an issue above an aftermarket, and what kind of tires? are you getting problems in your window seals?

Jay 535i
12-01-2005, 10:16 AM
that's an interesting point.. i usually have my stereo too loud to notice anything.. and since i put on my exhaust (which is way too loud) i don't hear anything..

are you running stock exhaust? just curious if it's an issue above an aftermarket, and what kind of tires? are you getting problems in your window seals?

My exhaust is stock.

Honestly, I think my E34 sounds the way it should. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But I'd like it quieter anyway. Tire and exhaust noise are okay. It's more wind noise and the noise of surrounding traffic I'd like to block out.

Russell
12-01-2005, 10:52 AM
I think my sunroof gasket needs replacing to reduce wind noise. I also think the front door gaskets (the ones that attach to the body) need replacing as well. Even so, I am not sure that would help my moderate wind noise above 60 or so.

I may have some wind noise because of a windshield replacemnt. It was done with a BMW oe windshield by a shop who does the dealer's windshields so I think it was done well. Even so, I cannot find any ari leaks.

HeadlinerExpress
12-25-2005, 03:37 AM
#1 Just another thought to your Sunroof Seal its possible if you were to install a Clip-on Sunroof Deflector this product will help reduce additional wind noise as well as reduce the amount of wind that comes in your car when the sunroof is open. They come with a Rubber Seal from the Deflector to the Body of the Car. #2 Also another idea could be to install Side Window Deflectors which install with a 3m double sided tape to your top of your door frames ( Acrylic vent Shades ) The elimate the Heat issues in your car , but at the same time help reduce Wind noise as well.#3 Just one more and i'm going to make my first pot of coffie and enjoy my Christmas Morning ( by the way Merry Christmas ) if your planning on replacing your headliner and time soon, that would be a great way to also look for Water Leaks/End resolt would be Wind Leaks too. Have a Safe Holdiay Season.

Russell
12-25-2005, 06:15 AM
Two comments.

I. First I think all the items you mentioned are stop gap measures and will not solve a noise problem. I sure do not want double side tape plastic with deflectors stuck on my my door frames. IMO, a sunroof wind deflector does not really reduce wind noise when the sunroof is closed. IMO, It can create noise. I had a BMW sunroof wind deflector on my e28 and it added to the noise level as it got older. even when closed. Also, I do not need a headliner.

2. I see your post not as a real attempt to help, just a marketing ploy. You may have good products, but I do not like what I preceive as sales technique.

Sorry.

#1 Just another thought to your Sunroof Seal its possible if you were to install a Clip-on Sunroof Deflector this product will help reduce additional wind noise as well as reduce the amount of wind that comes in your car when the sunroof is open. They come with a Rubber Seal from the Deflector to the Body of the Car. #2 Also another idea could be to install Side Window Deflectors which install with a 3m double sided tape to your top of your door frames ( Acrylic vent Shades ) The elimate the Heat issues in your car , but at the same time help reduce Wind noise as well.#3 Just one more and i'm going to make my first pot of coffie and enjoy my Christmas Morning ( by the way Merry Christmas ) if your planning on replacing your headliner and time soon, that would be a great way to also look for Water Leaks/End resolt would be Wind Leaks too. Have a Safe Holdiay Season.

HeadlinerExpress
12-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Sorry Russell , Im sorry you feel i'm not trying to Help, My Post are for all to read, so the information may not be of use to "you" but perhaps theirs someone that reads this post that will benifit from it. Their are many people over the years that has benifited by my Post such as Sunroof Repairs and other related issues. Anyway sorry this did not meet your aproval. Happy Holidays. Bill

Russell
12-25-2005, 09:54 AM
I see your point. I just get a bit wary when I see a response that seems sales oriented. BTW, I have heard that your headliner material is excellent. Do you offer a smaller amount of the 1/8 material to cover the rear package shelf?. Mine is faded to almost white.

Sorry Russell , Im sorry you feel i'm not trying to Help, My Post are for all to read, so the information may not be of use to "you" but perhaps theirs someone that reads this post that will benifit from it. Their are many people over the years that has benifited by my Post such as Sunroof Repairs and other related issues. Anyway sorry this did not meet your aproval. Happy Holidays. Bill

HeadlinerExpress
12-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Russell, Sure i'll do what i can to help.Just let me know how much material you feel you will need & Color for your project and i will work out a fare price for you. I can be contacted at Mogmedia@earthlink.net