PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Leak

rreimund
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
I tried searching for Exhaust leak, but it came up with every type of leak and any discussion of exhaust.

In any event, I think I had mentioned on some other threads that I had a loud tapping sound that seemed to have gotten worse with the colder weather. As it turns out, it was 63 degree F yesterday and I was driving with the windows opened, and the noise was just as bad. But with the windows opened and driving by some trees I was able to hear the sound from the outside of the car bounced back into it... I realized it was an exhaust leak. Makes an aweful racket, seems that it is actually sapping some power, but that could be my imagination. Maybe this weekend I'll have a chance to climb under the car and mess around and see where it's coming from, but I wanted to know if there were common spots that I should look at first, and any insights into repairing them.

- rick

632 Regal
11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
your going to have to isolate the leak...probably where the exhaust connects to the manifold.

rreimund
11-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Is there some kind of O-ring/Flange type of connection between the manifold and the flange? What are the usual causes for exhaust leaks on these cars? (i.e. the exhaust rotting and corroding with holes in it, or connections deteriorating, or cracked manifolds, etc. ?)