PDA

View Full Version : Vented Battery

Jimbo
11-30-2005, 06:09 AM
So I was reading some post about a week ago that mentioned the necessity of a vented battery for those of us whose batteries are under the backseat. Well I had my back seat bottom out today and while there is a vent hose coming out of the floor of the car, my battery has no where to hook it up. I was curious as to what kind of problems this could cause (health related or corrosive gases under my backseat related).

The battery is in good shape, no problem starting in the cold...so I would prefer not to replace it if I dont have to.

Thanks,
Jim

BigKriss
11-30-2005, 06:31 AM
So I was reading some post about a week ago that mentioned the necessity of a vented battery for those of us whose batteries are under the backseat. Well I had my back seat bottom out today and while there is a vent hose coming out of the floor of the car, my battery has no where to hook it up. I was curious as to what kind of problems this could cause (health related or corrosive gases under my backseat related).

The battery is in good shape, no problem starting in the cold...so I would prefer not to replace it if I dont have to.

Thanks,
Jim I'm in the same situation, the battery has no connection for the vent hose. oh well. Don't worry mate, she'll be okay. Just check the battery terminal fluid once in a while, to ensure it's topped up. I'm under the impression, that there are no problems if you keep the levels topped up.

shogun
11-30-2005, 06:54 AM
and I would do it. If the battery acid is overflowing, that is real dangerous stuff and eats the paint and the steel.
I have done it with my 2nd battery in the trunk. Instead of an expensive BMW battery I bought one for a small japanese truck, then I went into the pet shop fish section, bought some plastic connections and tubing, drilled holes into the battery caps, connected all and then connected it with the old drain pipe. Cost me less than 5 $
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/original/2ndbattery

shogun
11-30-2005, 08:43 AM
There are actually small vent holes in the single caps. These batteries are used on motorbikes and small mini trucks, agricultural equipment, where they just vent it into the open air. I just enlarged these small 1-2 mm holes so that the connectors would fit for an enclosed discharge system down thru the bottom of the car.

Tiger
11-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Sulfur gas into cabin... acidic gas... It is easy fix. Call up the manufacturer of the battery and ask for vent kit. Otherwise, just go to Autozone and get the right battery for $70. Chances are you already used most of the useful life.

Bill R.
11-30-2005, 09:39 AM
because when the car is running the alternator is charging the battery, a battery when charging gives off hydrogen and oxygen , a very explosive combination. This can build up in the car and a spark can set it off... I had
one explode on me many years ago working on a customers volkswagen with the rear seat up and the engine running... The explosion ruptured the battery case and threw battery acid all over the entire interior and well as all over me.. The vent tube serves a very important safety purpose. All batteries intended for mounting in the trunk or under the rear seat of a car will have provisions for attaching a vent tube to them.

Thanks,
Jim

Qsilver7
11-30-2005, 12:36 PM
...if the manufacturer intended for it to need venting wouldnt they have done so??
Yes, the manufacturer did intend for the battery to be vented and they did do something...they installed a vent tube. :p

You see, the mfg in this case is BMW...the placement of the battery into a confined space requires the venting of the off gasses from the battery to the exterior. In cars that have their battery under the hood...there is enough fresh air circulation to remove any concentration of gas.

Your "focus" is on the mfg of the battery and not the mfg of the car and its design. ;)

Here's a pic (below) of an e38 owner who failed to hook his battery up to the vent tube (its located in an enclosed compartment in the trunk). Yes indeed, the battery can/will explode...and like Bill R. described in his post above...the battery acid get's flung to stuff far and wide...and unless the acid is neutralized...will eventually eat its way thru it.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/feaqs/original/batt.jpg

...all of the above headache could have been prevented, for this e38 owner, if he had just connected the battery to the hose in the pic below.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_224.jpg

Jimbo
11-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone.

I would really prefer not to buy a new battery(it just seems like such a waste). So I guess ill contact the manufacturer to see about a vent kit and if that doesnt work ill try shogun's rig.

RobPatt
11-30-2005, 08:36 PM
I know mine's in the under-seat and not vented! Wow, Bang. Better vent.!