PDA

View Full Version : the universal conspiricy theory of universal joints

mattyb
11-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Help me out here guys. can uni's be purchased as a single item or are they only available as a fixed item. That is they come with a section of tailshaft included. In oz the stealer quoted $2000.00 for this piece. I wonder is it that even blind freddy would figure a way around this. I've searched the archive! thanx in advance for your help.

ryan roopnarine
11-30-2005, 04:49 AM
only as a whole assembly. it is staked in so that a regular machine shop has trouble getting it out (as it is a non-serviceable item).
the cheap way around this is to either pick one up from a US seller (rebuilt) for $2-300USD, or pick up a used one on ebay for $50-150.

mattyb
11-30-2005, 07:00 AM
thanks for the quick reply ryan. i feared that was the answer. i guess im gonna try and do flex disc and center bearing and not maybe worry about the unis. maybe they are ok and the noise and vibration are flex disc and or center bearing. thought that if I was under there i have a go at everything in one hit. cheers mate

632 Regal
11-30-2005, 10:06 AM
a few people have posted that they had a machine shop bore the holes out to fit a servicable uni-joint in there with success, but the cost was as much as a new 300 dollar unit...US numbers.

winfred
11-30-2005, 12:45 PM
a vibration on accelleration is usually the center support bearing and sometimes the flex coupler, most of the bmw shafts i've seen with a joint bad enough to vibrate it also made a good bit of noise at parking lot speeds and while changing direction

mattyb
11-30-2005, 03:53 PM
sound like it. thanx lads

biondani
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
sound like it. thanx lads
Are the symptoms like a tapping sensation under the handbrake at speed? I get a weird tapping at >70mph, worse if car is loaded (ie lower speed). I think centre bearing is going to need replacing soon on mine as this is happening. Hope it's just the bearing and not the universal joint (I haven't got the skills to change it myself so will be off to the local garage)

Ian

Zeuk in Oz
11-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Help me out here guys. can uni's be purchased as a single item or are they only available as a fixed item. That is they come with a section of tailshaft included. In oz the stealer quoted $2000.00 for this piece. I wonder is it that even blind freddy would figure a way around this. I've searched the archive! thanx in advance for your help.

Matty,
Have you spoken to an independent mechanic ?
If any one would know of reconditioned units or other options you can bet that they would.
If you don't know anyone, give George at BMWise a ring (02 9438-1669).
I have no connection to him other than that I use him, but I find him very knowledgeable.

mattyb
12-01-2005, 01:46 AM
tapping yes. at speed no. mainly when taking off under load. i think that centre bearing and new flex disc might eliminate condition and by the way if you have somewhere to do it i would encourage you to give it a go. under there is not so bad

mattyb
12-01-2005, 01:48 AM
hi zeuk. will give em a call tomorrow. ive yet to try federal parts where I got the mounts from, bit im lost as to a part number but your idea is good and ill chase it up. thanx mate. btw did u get any of that rain and hail today. We got smashed on the coast

Zeuk in Oz
12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
btw did u get any of that rain and hail today. We got smashed on the coast
No hail but we have had our best rainfalls in 13 years.
For anyone reading this not from Oz, the concept of the drought that we have been living with for at least 7-8 years might not be easy to grasp.
I had 8 inches of rain in November and my dams (6) are now full, for the first time since I bought my farm 13 years ago ! (They came close to filling 7-8 years ago but not quite.)
I actually contemplated de-stocking last autumn (fall) because I was concerned about not having enough water for my animals this summer !
You can buy in feed (at great expense) but if you have to buy in water, things become very uneconomic very quickly.
Another yardstick : my Shibaura 27 hp diesel lawn mower was only used once last year and has only done 100 hours since I bought it new 8 years ago.
More storms forecast today ! :D

genphreak
12-04-2005, 01:37 AM
hi zeuk. will give em a call tomorrow. ive yet to try federal parts where I got the mounts from, bit im lost as to a part number but your idea is good and ill chase it up. thanx mate. btw did u get any of that rain and hail today. We got smashed on the coastHey Matty, heard about the hail, hope u fared ok, missed it here in Sydn (although it was 'predicted').

I have a brand new uni and a centre bearing here in Sydney if you are interested. Not sure how hard it is to swap out the uni, or if its is the same on our cars. Mine is a 535 auto, unis seem pretty 'universal' in fitment tho :) :) Nick

mattyb
12-04-2005, 01:42 AM
thanx mate. Ill check the part numbers later on and see if they are the same. How much do you want and do you really want to part with it?