PDA

View Full Version : M5 Shocks

infinity5
11-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Does the M5 use the same shocks as its non-m counter parts? I guess i mean, are they special for the stiffer/shorter springs?

Jr ///M5
11-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Original front end M5 shocks are intergal parts of the strut assembly. Meaning that you cannot remove a strut insert from the strut assembly. There isn't any. The inside of the strut assembly is filled with fluid and special valved dampers and o-rings and such, so that when you remove the strut nut, all that crap comes spilling out.

You can gut the M5 strut assembly and install the strut insert of your choice, but the original factory unit is all one piece for the front of the car.

The rears are a SLS hydraulic type system and are driven by the two stage power steering pump through accumulators and have special springs that won't work with regular shocks.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Jr
'91 ///M5
'91 318iS
'01 525i

Elekta
11-30-2005, 07:29 AM
How much is the whole strut assembly for both sides? Would it lower the gap significantly? Could one just do this one swap or does more have to be changed?
tia

infinity5
11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
D'oh. I should have known that, especailly about the rears. Ok, well I guess that means i'll just go with me OEM shocks and m5 springs.

Original front end M5 shocks are intergal parts of the strut assembly. Meaning that you cannot remove a strut insert from the strut assembly. There isn't any. The inside of the strut assembly is filled with fluid and special valved dampers and o-rings and such, so that when you remove the strut nut, all that crap comes spilling out.

You can gut the M5 strut assembly and install the strut insert of your choice, but the original factory unit is all one piece for the front of the car.

The rears are a SLS hydraulic type system and are driven by the two stage power steering pump through accumulators and have special springs that won't work with regular shocks.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Jr
'91 ///M5
'91 318iS
'01 525i

Jr ///M5
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
How much is the whole strut assembly for both sides? Would it lower the gap significantly? Could one just do this one swap or does more have to be changed?
tia

He successfully lowered his touring using the Sachs kit and eliminated the SLS rear suspension.

The Sachs kit will lower the front about 1-1/4" and 3/4" in the rear.

Going with the M-Tech springs from a 535 model will lower it about 3/4".

If you are serious about your lowering your Touring, talk to Scott, he's already been through it and could tell you how it rides, drives now.

Jr

Scott H
11-30-2005, 05:45 PM
you can't blatantly pass the buck like that JR!!! ;)