PDA

View Full Version : Soft Clutch on Highway solved

DanDombrowski
11-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey guys,

Many thanks to everyone that contributed to my problem where my clutch would lose pressure after extended time on the interstate. In case you would like to read the full dailogue and for archiving purposes, the previous thread is here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15823

I was planning on replacing the rubber grommets on the brake master cylinder first to see if that was the problem. The rear (where the clutch pulls off of) was leaking worse than the front and I was losing a good amount of brake fluid. When I took it apart, the grommets were like jelly. I replaced them and held off on the clutch slave cylinder (which I also bought) for lack of time and to see if I could isolate the problem.

After a 235 mile trip to Tampa and back this Thanksgiving, I can pretty well say the problem is gone. Hard clutch and smooth (actually smoother than usual) shifting even after going aross the state. I'll still probably replace the clutch slave in a week or two when I do brakes, but for now the car is back to normal.

Later all, and thanks again to Bill R, Anthony, and Paul S. for your help

Jay 535i
11-29-2005, 05:21 PM
When I took it apart, the grommets were like jelly.

I discovered the same thing on my car last month. They failed while Bruno was bleeding the brakes, spraying brake fluid all over my car.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Glad you solved the problem. When my grommets were leaking the stealer said I needed an entire master cylinder. Which, of course, is typical for stealers.

Interceptor
11-30-2005, 10:28 AM
I discovered the same thing on my car last month. They failed while Bruno was bleeding the brakes, spraying brake fluid all over my car.LMAO :)

Maybe that's the first sign of obsessive-compulsive behaviour? :)