PDA

View Full Version : check engine

romus
11-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Hey guys :)

I've read about the early 535's not being able to take the check engine light very well, as a result coming on when nothing's wrong.

A while back i put a bulb in there so i could do a stop test. Has come on during driving a while ago, lasted about 30sec and never came on again. However in the last 24 hours i've had it come on quite often, lasting 30-60secs at a time and going off again. Stomp test produces no fault code.

Is this the "false alarm" i read about or am i to expect something??

Thanks everyone

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
I put a bulb in, and after a good up hill run the light comes on for just a few seconds.

I think it is just a temporary fault or something.

romus
11-29-2005, 09:09 PM
I thought about it but if there is/was a temporary fault, shouldnt the lamp stay on until you did the stomp test and cleared the fault(s)?

Thanks for reply mate

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-29-2005, 09:18 PM
I have seen check engine lights go on / off on other cars too, without a reset and no fault codes.

But the eariler E34s that didn't come with a bulb installed are said to have the light go on and off. thats why some people only put the light in to do the stomp test, then take it back out.

romus
11-29-2005, 10:02 PM
ah! That's it then. See i read about that (mine's 1989 - an early one :)) and bulb was never in the cluster, i can tell. So after i put it in it didn't give out "false alarms" so i assumed mine's the one that proves the rule wrong ;) Looks like it's not.

Guess i was just uneasy coz it intensified drastically in the last 24 hrs. Probably just a coincidence.